My funky old leather sofa has got to go! But not sure what to replace it with in HOT-taya.

Jingthing

Posted (edited)

My leather sofa was good in its day but it's such a wreck now that I need to cover it up and the freaking thing keeps slippin off anyway (and the support structure is deteriorating as well).

Yes it's time for a new sofa. 

A comfortable sofa is important with all the must see t.v. going on and I like to lie down on it too.

But considering what happened to the old sofa, not sure if I should start over with a new leather one knowing what happens to leather in hot weather (yes I mostly am using fans). 

So what are the other alternatives?

Cloth -- but that gets funky right if you can't really clean it?

Wooden frame with pads -- practical because you can replace the pads but I'm assuming not nearly comfortable enough

That leaves vinyl. 

I've had cheap vinyl before and it's pretty disgusting as far as sweat and stickiness.

But I've heard there is such a thing a high quality vinyl that's much better. So does anyone know if there is a local store that has sofas with high quality vinyl?

I guess another option is to buy leather or or even cheap vinyl and just cover it up from the start. But in that spending a lot for quality leather sounds silly. 

I don't really mind spending  a lot of money, so budget isn't the issue -- usefulness and comfort is.

General comments and experiences on different types of sofa welcome as well. 

Edited by Jingthing

43 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

My leather sofa was good in its day but it's such a wreck now that I need to cover it up and the freaking thing keeps slippin off anyway (and the support structure is deteriorating as well).

Yes it's time for a new sofa. 

A comfortable sofa is important with all the must see t.v. going on and I like to lie down on it too.

But considering what happened to the old sofa, not sure if I should start over with a new leather one knowing what happens to leather in hot weather (yes I mostly am using fans). 

So what are the other alternatives?

Cloth -- but that gets funky right if you can't really clean it?

Wooden frame with pads -- practical because you can replace the pads but I'm assuming not nearly comfortable enough

That leaves vinyl. 

I've had cheap vinyl before and it's pretty disgusting as far as sweat and stickiness.

But I've heard there is such a thing a high quality vinyl that's much better. So does anyone know if there is a local store that has sofas with high quality vinyl?

I guess another option is to buy leather or or even cheap vinyl and just cover it up from the start. But in that spending a lot for quality leather sounds silly. 

I don't really mind spending  a lot of money, so budget isn't the issue -- usefulness and comfort is.

General comments and experiences on different types of sofa welcome as well. 

Instead of asking on here, just go to Index and walk around/sit on them/find your ideal mate--they have 100 of them

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, thainet said:

Instead of asking on here, just go to Index and walk around/sit on them/find your ideal mate--they have 100 of them

Because I am specifically asking if anyone knows if there a local place that definitely has HIGH QUALITY VINYL! Was I not clear enough?

I'm pretty sure any salesperson is going to say it's high quality vinyl even when it isn't. I'm assuming almost all of it is the cheap stuff and not even sure if there is any place here at all to buy high quality. 

So I don't want to go on a wild goose chase if someone happens to have a solid suggestion. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Far too many weirdos on this forum, why do you feel the need to have people input on what new couch you buy. We really don't care 😆 

Good example of why Thai's have it sussed with a very polite "up to you" 

Idiotic troll post but to answer your idiotic troll post the main question is if anyone knows a local place that for sure has HIGH QUALITY VINYL. 

1 minute ago, Pattaya57 said:

You waffled on in a long post about your leather couch with only the last bit about vinyl couch. I'd stopped reading by then...

Makes no sense, you say money no problem but you want high quality imitation leather instead of real leather....

Now we're getting into sofa talk which before you claimed you thought was crazy to talk about.

The reason I might want quality vinyl over leather is that I've experienced cheap vinyl and it's horrible, and also leather, which falls apart in a horrible way, so wondering if high quality vinyl might be better for my needs. Yes it's true I don't mind spending but I want to buy something that will work for me. 

3 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

Oh, yes, yes. Well done.

Please take a seat.

2024-05-21_22-52.png.5e2a749ab462f4f65aeca1ccbbf21fab.png

NAILED IT....!

Most insightful post on TV....during the past decade, bar none!

I will not even attempt to reply to this Topic, since you have obviously already said it all....

12 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

NAILED IT....!

Most insightful post on TV....during the past decade, bar none!

I will not even attempt to reply to this Topic, since you have obviously already said it all....

I recall you detest old Sigmund

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I recall you detest old Sigmund

I am a scientist.

Old Sigmund thought he was a scientist.

I just detest pretenders.

(No hard feelings.  And, as you know, I am a pretender, too.)

19 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I am a scientist.

Old Sigmund thought he was a scientist.

I just detest pretenders.

(No hard feelings.  And, as you know, I am a pretender, too.)

Well he was a trained medical doctor. 

Sometimes a sofa is just a sofa.

This is random but I just learned there is a fair chance Freud's mother is a relative of mine, meaning Sigmund would be too. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well he was a trained medical doctor. 

MDs are NOT Scientists....in the majority.

I thought everybody already knew this.

They are artists, like.....Picasso, etc....

Edited by GammaGlobulin

52 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Cool.

Some questions.

I see thats cloth.

As its ikea I assume you had to self assemble.

The covers come off. You can wash them?

Does Ikea offer an assembly at home service?

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

This ikea offering is a dandy for sure but during one unfortunate bout of the trots some unrelenting stains were left center stage so I do recommend purchasing a darker color than   karlshof beige/multicolour.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, I am in a similar position with rotting sofa under a throw that I should replace. Can't imagine a cloth sofa would work out too well... I have often fallen asleep to wake up sweaty (in a puddle) and likely will do so again. I think a leather replacement, albeit pricey will last longer but still need a cloth cover that can be washed. 

• Thanks 1

I do not know of any high quality vinyl sofas.  Since you can afford it, I would go either with another leather sofa or with a cloth sofa with covers that can be washed, with perhaps a spare cover set kept in reserve.  I think leather ages better than vinyl.

IKEA probably offers the biggest selection of cloth sofas with removable covers that can be washed.  In Pattaya, I would check Index, of course, but also Boonthavorn Lifestyle furniture on the second floor.  Both Index and Lifestyle have some good sales now and then.  I think Chic Republic has been selling furniture by Ashley, as well as some other brands.   

At the front of the Home Pro on Sukhumvit there is a Jas furniture store as you enter the store.  They have a  fairly good selection of sofas, mostly recliners, both manual and electric, with some different covering materials available and a wide assortment of colors--including vinyl and leather in different grades.  Jas also may be a good  option to check as you can customize your choice somewhat.  My spouse and I almost bought a sofa from them before we found a bargain at Lifestyle in Bangkok.

If you can get to Bangkok, the Boonthavorn store up the street from Rama 9 mall has a big complex of 3 or 4 stores and the furniture store there is large and on 3 floors with a bigger selection than Pattaya.               There's no substitute for actually sitting on a chair or sofa to check comfort.  I would never buy anything without first trying it out, so you can check the back height and pitch, the seat depth, and the comfort level of the cushions.  Good luck with your search.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Leather, vinyl too hot. You'll have to use a cloth cover anyway.

I got a cloth-covered sofa from Ikea many years ago and it's been great. But I keep a washable cover on it as well.

Nowadays, I think I'd prefer having a recliner or two. Think about it. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, bang saen guy said:

Our sofa and love seat was bought at LazyBoy on Sukhumvit near Emporium in Bangkok about 20 years ago. Still looks good

Now that shop is permanently closed