Money Transfer From Europe 20e; Can I Go Cheaper?

I have an account in Bankok Bank and everytime I transfer money from my Scandinavian bank account it costs me 26 euros, of which 20 euros goes into local pockets here in Thailand. Is there some way I can do this cheaper? Maybe switch my account to another bank, or use some other transfer method? 20e seems a bit unreasonable considering that the folks in the higher cost Europe can do the job for 14 euros less.

I don’t think your Thai bank pockets 20 euro. Thai banks usually deduct 0.25% minimum 200 Baht, maximum 500 Baht for incoming foreign remittances.

If your Thai bank is not a correspondent bank of your Scandinavian bank for EUR currency the transaction passes through a third-party bank which deducts a fee. I once had the same problem in the opposite direction, with remittances from Thailand to Switzerland made from an account in Bank of Ayudhya. Remittances in CHF arrived complete, remittances in EUR minus 25 euro. When I inquired from my Swiss bank they told me that they were a correspondent bank for Bank of Ayudhya for CHF but not for EUR, for which reason EUR remittances passed through Deutsche Bank, which deducted 25 euro.

Ask your Scandinavian bank what banks in Thailand are their correspondent banks for EUR.

--

Maestro

With WU I also pay 23 euros ,so I don't know if there is a cheaper way, but WU is safe to deal with,also important.

I have an account in Bankok Bank and everytime I transfer money from my Scandinavian bank account it costs me 26 euros, of which 20 euros goes into local pockets here in Thailand. Is there some way I can do this cheaper? Maybe switch my account to another bank, or use some other transfer method? 20e seems a bit unreasonable considering that the folks in the higher cost Europe can do the job for 14 euros less.

Check Moneygram (www.moneygram.com). I transfered money from germany to thailand without any problems. Works same like WU, but it's cheaper.

Another option would be asianpay or paypal, but of course you have to have an account with them.