Wireless Webcam For Home Surveillance

quadricorrelator

Not sure why you are saying wireless then USB (which is a wired connection). You can look here for full Internet ready webcams.

http://www.shop4thai.com/en/category/?cat=138

Thank you for your help.

Yes, I apologize for the confusion. I was hoping to find a webcam that would have two parts: one part with a wireless transceiver that would plug into the USB port, and one part that had a wireless transceiver connected to the webcam itself. The webcam transceiver would communicate with the transceiver connected to the USB port.

-q

If I were you I'd go for the Wi-Fi cameras that tywais is suggesting, piece of cake to set up and they don't actually need a PC to work, you WILL need a PC if you're going to want to record the surveillance footage though. Many actually come with the software you'll need to record the video.

Personally I'd get a cheap used PC from Fortune or (better if you can get there) Zeer [saturday morning is best, opens at 10.30], 2-3000 Baht will get you a perfectly functional machine that will do the job just fine, no need for a monitor etc. control it with VNC.

Could be wireless from camera to a USB-PC controller much like

some ADSL connections here in LOS.

He will likely want to record to disc too I suspect.

I am sure there must be such devices but not sure they are readily

available in LOS.

Here is a company I bought from a few years ago.

Their product worked very well for me.

http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm

Edited by paulfr

with just about all these cameras you will need to priovide a power supply to them - probably 12 VDC

a camera of this type - one of many out there - http://www.otima.com.tw/pan-tilt-ip-camera/pt_ip_cam.htm

will allow you to have full PZT ( pan,zoom,tilt ) and they have a built in webserver which means you can with a little bit of configuration of your ADSL router ( manually set the cameras ip address , forward the port of your choice to the camera ip at your router , and register your router with a dynamic DNS resolver ) then you can use any computer / mobile phone with a java enabled web browser - explorer / firefox / opera for PC . opera / netfront for mobile - to view and control the camera.

if you wanted to get really trendy you could leave a cheap PC running all the time on your home network with a IR motion sensor hooked to it and have the comp to send you an sms when the motion sensor was triggered.

I've had nothing but trouble with Wireless IP cameras. They'll work fine for a few days and then the wireless signal will drop & someone on site will have to reset the camera. Same problems with a mix off d-link & level-one cameras and different models of wireless routers.

with just about all these cameras you will need to priovide a power supply to them - probably 12 VDC

a camera of this type - one of many out there - http://www.otima.com.tw/pan-tilt-ip-camera/pt_ip_cam.htm

will allow you to have full PZT ( pan,zoom,tilt ) and they have a built in webserver which means you can with a little bit of configuration of your ADSL router ( manually set the cameras ip address , forward the port of your choice to the camera ip at your router , and register your router with a dynamic DNS resolver ) then you can use any computer / mobile phone with a java enabled web browser - explorer / firefox / opera for PC . opera / netfront for mobile - to view and control the camera.

if you wanted to get really trendy you could leave a cheap PC running all the time on your home network with a IR motion sensor hooked to it and have the comp to send you an sms when the motion sensor was triggered.

No need for any sensors wcguard (If I rem the name correctly) is a freeware that monitors the video signal of the cams for motion and then starts a time date stamp recording to the harddrive. If it goes static for preset time it stops recording. Its been awhile but I beleave it monitored up to 16 cams at a time. An old PC would be great for that and it could operate as a server or other thing at the same time. Its all out there on google sometimes you find the ware has cost, just get looking almost always a free version is there. It like rule 34 of the internet.