Woman in Udon Thani takes her life due to grandson’s drug abuse

snoop1130

drug-abuse.jpg

A tragic incident occurred yesterday when a woman took her own life in response to ongoing stress and abuse from her drug-addicted grandson. Police officers and rescue workers were called to a home in Chiang Phin 2 village, Udon Thani, where they found the lifeless body of 64 year old Prayoon Onnoi.

Prayoon’s 68 year old husband, Somkid Phosarn, explained that his wife had been acting unusually in the past few days, often asking to accompany him to his job as a security guard. When he returned home that morning, he tried to console her, telling her that they were in this together and to share any worries she had. Despite his efforts, she remained silent.

“I felt something was wrong because she never followed me to work before. When I came home and found her, I was in shock.”

Prayoon had hanged herself. The police found no signs of foul play or struggle, and her family did not suspect any foul play. The body was handed over to the family for traditional funeral rites.

The primary cause of stress for Prayoon, according to Somkid, was her grandson, who had developed a severe addiction to methamphetamines and kratom. The grandson would demand money daily, asking for 200 baht to 300 baht (US$5 to (US$8) to fund his drug habit. If Prayoon refused, he would become violent, often damaging household items and leaving the family in debt by having to borrow money to appease him.

“My wife was under immense pressure every day. Our grandson would ask for money and, if she didn’t give it to him, he would hurt her. I felt so helpless.”

Thanuwat Yamongkol, the village headman, confirmed that the family had been dealing with the grandson’s addiction for some time. Prayoon was particularly affected, as she was home all day without any work, while Somkid was away at his job. Thanuwat said he often received reports from neighbours about the grandson’s abusive behaviour, reported KhaoSod.

“She would often complain about her exhaustion and frustration with her grandson. She didn’t know how to handle the situation anymore.”

The grandson was not home at the time of Prayoon’s death, having left to consume drugs with friends. Thanuwat mentioned that the pressure and inability to find a solution to the daily financial demands likely led Prayoon to take her own life.

If you or anyone you know is in emotional distress, please contact the Samaritans of Thailand 24-hour hotline: 02 713 6791 (English), 02 713 6793 (Thai), or the Thai Mental Health Hotline at 1323 (Thai). Please also contact your friends or relatives at this time if you have feelings of loneliness, stress, or depression. Seek help.

By Bright Choomanee

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-05-29

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 4

On 5/29/2024 at 2:37 PM, snoop1130 said:

The grandson was not home at the time of Prayoon’s death, having left to consume drugs with friends.

I hope the cops investigate this fully, what time did he leave ? was she still alive when he left ?

He could have come back for money to buy more drugs, any CCTV near buy on route ?

I certainly would not believe his friends. RIP Nan.