Indian guests find a ‘Thai’-light in Airbnb bookings surge

Indian-tourists.jpg

New data from Airbnb reveals a significant rise in bookings by Indian guests in Thailand between 2022 and 2023. The statistics show an impressive increase of over 60% year-on-year, with notable peaks during the recent long holiday weekends. During these periods, searches by Indian guests for stays in Thailand surged by more than 200%.

According to Thailand’s Ministry of Tourism and Sports, India ranks as the fifth-largest inbound market for the country. This boost in interest from Indian travellers is largely attributed to the Thai government’s visa-free policy, which has made travelling more accessible for Indian tourists.

The changing demographics in India, with a travel-inclined younger generation, particularly Gen Z and Millennial guests, have driven this surge. In 2023, these groups accounted for 80% of Airbnb bookings from India.

Thailand’s popularity among Indian travellers is evident in their preferred destinations. The top five most booked locations by Indian guests on Airbnb include Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Krabi, and Samui.

These destinations highlight a preference for both city and beach getaways. Popular Airbnb categories for Indian guests in Thailand feature stays with pools, tropical settings, proximity to beaches or national parks, and iconic city locations.

Airbnb data indicates that duo and solo travellers are the largest groups among Indian guests, while small groups (three to five people) and medium-sized groups (five people and above) are the fastest-growing segments. These groups saw increases of approximately 67% and 68% year-on-year, respectively, in 2023.

Travellers from India on Airbnb continue to show their love for Thailand, with a growing interest in exploring destinations across the country. In addition to some of Thailand’s top destinations, we see Indian guests also exploring lesser-known areas and supporting more inclusive tourism in Thailand that spreads economic opportunities to more people in more places, not just big cities, said Amanpreet Bajaj, Airbnb’s General Manager for Southeast Asia, India, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.

The extension of the visa waiver for citizens of both countries by the Thai government is expected to further boost inbound tourism. This policy supports the strong appetite for Thailand among Indian travellers, and Airbnb plans to continue supporting Thailand’s tourism initiatives to keep the country top of mind for Indian tourists, reported The Pattaya News.

Favouring beach destinations and pool villas, the most wish-listed Amazing Pools stays by Indian guests on Airbnb in 2023 include properties in Phuket, Krabi, Samui, and Pattaya.

By Bright Choomanee

Picture courtesy of The Pattaya News

Source: The Thaiger 2024-05-30

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I thought Airbnb was illegal here? I may have missed some news.

I suppose if they bring in the tourist dollars it doesn't matter.

Please keep up, Airbnb is not illegal in Thailand, 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

According to Booking.com Saudi Arabians are top of the list, I don't know where they get these figures from but here in Phuket is quiet, 

Last week bookings are down 12% in the Rawai area, 

Edited by ChipButty

7 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Please keep up, Airbnb is not illegal in Thailand, 

I had a browser and found out: 

The Hotel Act of 2004, specifies that it is illegal to operate a hotel business without a license.

But it seems homes can be rented out under some circumstances, so partially right 

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

New data from Airbnb reveals a significant rise in bookings by Indian guests in Thailand between 2022 and 2023. The statistics show an impressive increase of over 60% year-on-year, with notable peaks during the recent long holiday weekends. During these periods, searches by Indian guests for stays in Thailand surged by more than 200%.

200% increase in searches, an increase of 60% booking.... but no real numbers?

1 minute ago, Purdey said:

I had a browser and found out: 

The Hotel Act of 2004, specifies that it is illegal to operate a hotel business without a license.

But it seems homes can be rented out under some circumstances, so partially right 

What is illegal is STR no less than 30 days, without a license, Not just Airbnb that applies to all other OTA's, If you have a house or villa for rent you can still list it on Airbnb minimum stay being 30 days, you are not doing anything illegal. 

• Thumbs Up 1

What absolute riveting and exciting news, we can all happily sleep well now after being updated regarding a surge of Indians making bookings. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Artisi said:

What absolute riveting and exciting news, we can all happily sleep well now after being updated regarding a surge of Indians making bookings. 

Ladyboys will be happy. Bar girls won't be!!!!5555😏:cool:😏:cool:😂🤣😂😂

Edited by DPKANKAN

3 hours ago, Purdey said:

I thought Airbnb was illegal here? I may have missed some news.

I suppose if they bring in the tourist dollars it doesn't matter.

Must rent for min of one month. TTBOMK.

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Must rent for min of one month. TTBOMK.

Thanks. Do Indians get 30 day vacations normally? Most Thais get 1-2 weeks.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I've no idea but there are many wealthy Indians. 

Fair comment. I do know a few Indian billionaires personally and they would never stay in an Airbnb though.