Sold The N95 And Picked Up An E90 Anybody Do The Same?

steffi

Can somebody help me with my addiction ;-)

LOL

I've been seriously considering it!! I want one of the new windows powered, gps enabled pda's so bad, most of them now are the same size or smaller than the N95, with the added fact that I can do SO much more with a Windows powered device....though the 5MP camera would be hard to give up.

What made you do it?

Well I figure the e90 will be reved a lot later than the N95... I don't much like the quality of the N95 but the e90 reeks quality construction. I was tossing up b/w E61i (which also has good build) and the e90 and the wider screen of the e90

won out. But largely because of the battery life which is orders of magnitude better than the N95's. I got sick of T9 that I decided I needed querty. The camera on the e90 isn't too bad but the shutter button is poorly designed.

given that the price difference b/w the N95 and the E90 the E90 is very reasonably priced but you could say the N95 was overpriced at launch.

Interestingly they even have iphones at MBK and sell them for a pretty high premium even though you cannot use them as a phone here in Thailand.

Can somebody help me with my addiction ;-)

LOL

I've been seriously considering it!! I want one of the new windows powered, gps enabled pda's so bad, most of them now are the same size or smaller than the N95, with the added fact that I can do SO much more with a Windows powered device....though the 5MP camera would be hard to give up.

What made you do it?

After working at Apple for a number of years, I refuse to buy anything except the iPod..... Something about having my hands tied behind my back for as long as I own the product bothers me......

The iPhone has a LOT of maturing to do....from what some of my engineering buddies at Apple have told me, I'd wait on it for the next generation.

I love the N95, but I just feel like I could do so much more (read: hack) with a windows powered device....

Went to Fortune and picked up an E90 today - tried a few Nokia shops around town but they had all sold out!

What a fantastic device! I don't normally go for Nokia but they finally brought out a smartphone that has everything I need.

So what does a phone have to do except go ring-ring and SMS ? Long battery life for granted but 2-5k sees you with a great new phone - no ?

I simply hate typing in text on number keys as I use my mobile to check all my messages whilst I am out of the office. The E90's keyboard is great. Used to have the Sony P990 but found the keys a bit too small.

The E90 is also the first phone I've ever had on which I can browse normal websites on instead of the WAP text-only sites so I can also log onto the corporate website on it.

10/10 from me

After working at Apple for a number of years, I refuse to buy anything except the iPod..... Something about having my hands tied behind my back for as long as I own the product bothers me......

The iPhone has a LOT of maturing to do....from what some of my engineering buddies at Apple have told me, I'd wait on it for the next generation.

I love the N95, but I just feel like I could do so much more (read: hack) with a windows powered device....

I'll get an iPhone as soon as they are unlocked. My plan is to wait for the unlocking to work, then wait another month to see if software updates kill the unlocking, or perhaps until they are available in Europe where I believe there are laws that make adding an unlock function mandatory. Either way, $600 burning a hole in my pocket and I can't get an iPhone - shame isn't it?

I'll make do with the crappy N73 in the meantime. The N95 looks slick but the focus on music with all new Nokia models really puts me off. If you do it, make it work well and by that I mean as well as the iPod, if not please don't bother. Listening to music on the N73 is just wrong in so many ways - I tried it once and never did it again.

Steffl, I thought the E90 is WinMobile based? Is that Symbian? If so that would be good news. I looked at it yesterday in the store and kinda assumed that was Win Mobile. The E90 is not for me because it's huge and they made it look like there's a little phone glued to a large black brick :o Of course the communicator series was never built for looks...

LostInBKK when were you at Apple? I was there (Cupertino) in 1996/1997 & then went off to a startup founded by all Apple employees...

Was this during the NeXT period? I was programming NeXTSTEP in Tysons Corner at this time.

BTW: Nokia realized that Symbian 3rd edition is the way to go with communicators so that's what the e90 is

running. True about the weight it's pretty heavy but it's tollerable given the functionality it packs.

I just wish I could get truphone to install on it but there's an issue with that at the moment.

BTW: there is a world of difference b/w the e90/e61i battery and the N95's.

LostInBKK when were you at Apple? I was there (Cupertino) in 1996/1997 & then went off to a startup founded by all Apple employees...
Edited by steffi

So what does a phone have to do except go ring-ring and SMS ? Long battery life for granted but 2-5k sees you with a great new phone - no ?

I simply hate typing in text on number keys as I use my mobile to check all my messages whilst I am out of the office. The E90's keyboard is great. Used to have the Sony P990 but found the keys a bit too small.

The E90 is also the first phone I've ever had on which I can browse normal websites on instead of the WAP text-only sites so I can also log onto the corporate website on it.

10/10 from me

I am puzzled, you said you had a P990 but you couldn't browse normal websites, the P990 has a full HTML browser and is symbian based same as E90, it also has a touch screen with virtual keypad, you can type with a stylus which I find very convienient, yes I do have a leaning towards SE, the P990 is just better for me in every way possible, some may say the camera is a weakness but anything over 3mp is just a waste unless you need very large prints. Everyone to their own I guess.

10/10 from me

I am puzzled, you said you had a P990 but you couldn't browse normal websites, the P990 has a full HTML browser and is symbian based same as E90, it also has a touch screen with virtual keypad, you can type with a stylus which I find very convienient, yes I do have a leaning towards SE, the P990 is just better for me in every way possible, some may say the camera is a weakness but anything over 3mp is just a waste unless you need very large prints. Everyone to their own I guess.

I found that the Sony P990's screen was just too awkward for full screen browsing of normal websites and the lack of EDGE was frustrating in the end.

When I saw the new Sony P1 I just did not like what I saw as I do not like the "dual key" keyboards

Before the E90 I had the P800, P900 & P990 and thought they were great. The E90 is better as Nokia have finally got it right with the communicator

Range is from 28500 to 30500 thb.

also i'm using AIS Mobile Life. anybody got Truphone working on an e90 yet?

There's apparently some bug that prevents some providers receiving the reply SMS.

that said it worked fine thru AIS Mobile Life with my N95

How much are the E90's in Bangkok?
Edited by steffi

well the point is that the E90 is a Series 60 and not 80 device so it using a mature platform and one that more developers seem to support than the Series 80.

Software seems stable. Haven't tried GPS yet. Worked fine on my N95 though. Haven't seen the 9500 but you can find comparison photos online.

I have had my trusty Nokia 9500 for almost 3 years. I may switch to the E90. But for a 3mega camera, the price is too high.

Is the software more stable in the E90? GPS works fine in BKK? Slimmer by how much?

Windows based Mobile Phones? No thanks. I want my phone to work

Symbian? What software is available?

My alternative is Palm. I have been using my Treo 650 for some time and I am totally happy until my missus wanted one too, so I got her the new Treo 680. More memory, more software included ... a great phone. The only thing missing would be a wireless connection.

It has a qwertz or qwerty keyboard, depending where you buy it, has tons of software (really, thousands and thousands of applications, some free, some shareware, some to buy), even a Thai / English dictionary (with built in Thai keyboard), has a camera, runs SD cards, Internet access, including a browser and e-mail.

Check this website for the phone, and this one for software

isn't palm symbian based

my 1st requirement for a PDA/Phone is battery life, don't matter what else they do, if you travel a lot and like to play music etc then it is a must, haven't found anything yet that beat SE on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Where did you buy it? Not too bad. I paid 29,000 thb at MBK for mine. Still hunting for a decent case...

only decent ones are on ebay right now. don't much like the case that came with it.

Got my E90 for 29,500 Baht. Bit on the big side, great for web surfing, and beats the pants off the N95 battery wise.

yes and yes

See Maploader and you can define landmarks manually with long/lat

There is no interaction on the pc side except for download to phone or memory card

I was using 100 hours but now im on unlimited

If you have to refill in the middle it can be a little complex but possible

Can the GPS maps be downloaded on your PC, then transfered to the phone? If so, can you program way points into the phone using the map from the PC?