I now have three phase electricity at my villa. Stage two, 60 KW tied solar system needed

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

I own the piece of land next to my villa which is oblong shaped 36 feet wide 85 feet 250 SQM. I would like a 60-kilowatt-hour tied solar system on a canopy above the land so that the rain can still get through to the plants under the canopy I.E. The photos added. I have spoken to many firms that want to sell me a solar system but they want me to do the canopy first. so, I was thinking I could save myself a lot of money if I bought the solar panels and inverters myself and got PEA workers to wire it up as they did with my three-phase electricity.

I am a novice at this kind of thing. 

Questions

1: Would it be possible, what I'm suggesting?

2: What would the savings be?

3: Can someone recommend, point me in the right direction of good solar panels and inverters to use?

Screenshot 2024-05-31 101947.png

Screenshot 2024-05-31 103736.png

Screenshot 2024-05-31 103755.png

Edited by scott1999
  • Like 1

OK, this video has great info that I can use. But we are in Thailand not California so the price for the panels are gonna be very different maybe for the inverters as well?

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

Is it three phase? I know generation is three phase, but don"t domestic users only receive one phase?

30/100 transformer With this configuration at the villa 

Screenshot 2024-04-09 134108.png

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You will need special permission to connect 60kw to the grid, I think the normal limit for 3 phase is 15kw.

Tread re 3-Phase

• Like 1

Just got back from PEA they said it is ok for a 60 KWH system and they will connect it to the grid, I hope to have it looking like this but I only need a 15-degree angle looking south which is looking towards the villa from the land

Screenshot 2024-05-30 100221.png

On 5/31/2024 at 11:50 AM, Will B Good said:

Courtesy of Chat GPT

ChatGPT

The price of an inverter for a 150-kilowatt hour (kWh) solar system can vary depending on several factors, including the brand, model, features, installation requirements, and the region where you are purchasing it.

Inverter prices are typically quoted in terms of their capacity, which is measured in kilowatts (kW) or megawatts (MW), rather than in terms of the energy output of the entire system (kWh).

To estimate the cost of an inverter for a 150-kWh system, you would typically consider the size of the system in terms of its peak power output (in kW). This is usually expressed as DC (direct current) capacity, as solar panels generate DC electricity which the inverter then converts into AC (alternating current) electricity for use in your home or for export to the grid.

For example, if your 150-kWh system has a peak power output of, say, 175 kW (just for illustrative purposes), you would need to select an inverter or combination of inverters that can handle this capacity.

Inverter prices can range from a few thousand dollars for smaller residential systems to tens of thousands of dollars for larger commercial or utility-scale systems.

For a precise estimate of the cost of an inverter for your specific system, it's best to consult with a solar installer or supplier who can provide you with quotes based on your particular requirements and circumstances.

Average price of inverters
ChatGPT

The average price of inverters can vary widely depending on factors such as capacity, brand, model, features, and installation requirements. However, to provide a rough estimate:

1. Residential Inverters: For smaller residential solar systems (e.g., 5 kW to 10 kW), the average price range for inverters might be between $1,000 to $2,000 USD.

2. Commercial Inverters: For larger commercial solar systems (e.g., 50 kW to 500 kW), the average price range for inverters might be between $0.10 to $0.20 USD per watt of capacity. So, for example, a 100 kW commercial inverter could cost between $10,000 to $20,000 USD.

3. Utility-Scale Inverters: For utility-scale solar projects (e.g., over 1 MW), the average price range for inverters might be lower, around $0.05 to $0.10 USD per watt of capacity, due to economies of scale.

These are just rough estimates, and actual prices may vary significantly depending on market conditions, geographic location, supplier discounts, and other factors. It's essential to obtain quotes from reputable solar installers or suppliers to get accurate pricing for your specific project.

On 5/31/2024 at 10:33 AM, scott1999 said:

Hi everyone,

I own the piece of land next to my villa which is oblong shaped 36 feet wide 85 feet 250 SQM. I would like a 60-kilowatt-hour tied solar system on a canopy above the land so that the rain can still get through to the plants under the canopy I.E. The photos added. I have spoken to many firms that want to sell me a solar system but they want me to do the canopy first. so, I was thinking I could save myself a lot of money if I bought the solar panels and inverters myself and got PEA workers to wire it up as they did with my three-phase electricity.

I am a novice at this kind of thing. 

Questions

1: Would it be possible, what I'm suggesting? Yes it is chat GPT says I can get 170 panels on 250 square meter

2: What would the savings be? Substantial

3: Can someone recommend, point me in the right direction of good solar panels and inverters to use? lazada

I will keep a record of this endeavor just for people in the future if they are interested

Screenshot 2024-05-31 101947.png

Screenshot 2024-05-31 103736.png

Screenshot 2024-05-31 103755.png

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, scott1999 said:

Yes it is chat GPT says I can get 170 panels on 250 square meter

I can't see how that is possible when a 500W panel is 2.3m x 1.2m

You gain somewhat from them being angled but not that much

Edited by lom

35 minutes ago, lom said:

I can't see how that is possible when a 500W panel is 2.3m x 1.2m

You gain somewhat from them being angled but not that much

I thought that too when I did the calculations before but I can use other land but I'd prefer if I can just use that nice oblong 250 square meter patch of land I do have the rear of the villa but it is west facing so would have to see how much power I would lose. I'll just keep going like I did with the three-phase electricity. if I can't have 150 KILOWATT system a nice 120 will do. I've been looking on Lazada panels from China 550 watts for under 3000 baht 

445221538_8229925090360169_4868612685868335554_n.jpg

Point of order.

Please do not confuse kW (kilowatts) which is a measure of power with kWh (kilowatt-hours) which is a measurement of energy.

A 300W (0.3kW) panel will generate about 1kWh per day on average in Thailand.

Did PEA authorise a 60kW or a 60kWh system? And, importantly, did you get that in writing?

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Point of order.

Please do not confuse kW (kilowatts) which is a measure of power with kWh (kilowatt-hours) which is a measurement of energy.

A 300W (0.3kW) panel will generate about 1kWh per day on average in Thailand.

Did PEA authorise a 60kW or a 60kWh system? And, importantly, did you get that in writing?

Thanks for the info, as for PEA they said yes, yesterday, and are coming out to see me tomorrow. I think the man wants some out-of-hours work, good for me. As for getting it in writing if they are doing the work I don't think I will need it. Thanks again for your info

1 minute ago, scott1999 said:

As for getting it in writing if they are doing the work I don't think I will need it.

Get it in writing, particularly if your contractor is moonlighting.

Don't forget, in order to authorise a grid-tie system you need to use approved equipment and an approved installer.

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Get it in writing, particularly if your contractor is moonlighting.

Don't forget, in order to authorise a grid-tie system you need to use approved equipment and an approved installer.

Thanks again I will question him tomorrow

Just now, scott1999 said:

To a 60 kw system but now I will push for 120

A system that size is way outside what is DIY-able and if grid-tie will definitely need industrial-strength permitting.

60kW is going to be about 140 x 450W panels.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

A system that size is way outside what is DIY-able and if grid-tie will definitely need industrial-strength permitting.

60kW is going to be about 140 x 450W panels.

Question are rules for OFF-Grid any different?

Just now, scott1999 said:

Question are rules for OFF-Grid any different?

For off-grid anything goes, PEA don't care coz you're not connected to their grid.

But then you are going to need a considerable amount of energy storage (batteries) even if you only mine during the day (when the sun goes behind a cloud).

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

For off-grid anything goes, PEA don't care coz you're not connected to their grid.

But then you are going to need a considerable amount of energy storage (batteries) even if you only mine during the day (when the sun goes behind a cloud).

Thanks again for the heads up, good info

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Crossy said:

You still need to notify the Energy Regulatory Commission that you are exempt from Power Generating License regardless if your plant is on-grid or off-grid.

5 | Permits & Licensing Step
Home
Notification for Exemption of Power Generation License Page 1/5 ><
This step is for solar PV rooftop systems smaller than 1,000 kVA
PV systems that are less than 1,000 kVA are exempted from the Power Generation License.
Nevertheless, the Facility Owner / Solar Service Provider must submit a notification for exemption to ERC. This can be submitted
online or at ERC office

https://www.climatelinks.org/sites/default/files/asset/document/2017_USAID-Clean-Power-Asia_RE-Guidelines-Solar-PV-Rooftop-Implementation-EN-v1.pdf

(page 73)

Edited by lom
  • Like 2

I told the PEA man not to come as big rain today. But he said he can build the frame and lay the panels then connect the system to the grid. Size is not a problem he said. If I want it in writing I can ask the office to do. I'm sure there will be many problems to come. But so far so good. This is a rural, next to me is the farm that this villa was part of till his daughter borrowed money against it and lost it to the bank. around me, there are only resorts. So I think PEA are ok for me to be semi-commercial as I am already on a small commercial tariff. 

The outer wall of my villa is south-facing from the land so it will look like the picture I have included. Thanks again for all your help everyone

Screenshot 2024-06-02 111927.png

1 hour ago, scott1999 said:

I told the PEA man not to come as big rain today. But he said he can build the frame and lay the panels then connect the system to the grid. Size is not a problem he said. If I want it in writing I can ask the office to do. I'm sure there will be many problems to come. But so far so good. This is a rural, next to me is the farm that this villa was part of till his daughter borrowed money against it and lost it to the bank. around me, there are only resorts. So I think PEA are ok for me to be semi-commercial as I am already on a small commercial tariff. 

The outer wall of my villa is south-facing from the land so it will look like the picture I have included. Thanks again for all your help everyone

Screenshot 2024-06-02 111927.png

It's worth noting what can happen if you have an un-permitted grid-tie system.

• Like 1

It's worth telling us just how you intend using your solar energy.

Assuming you will mine crypto:- 

1. Mine only during the day with a small energy storage system to bridge over those dull patches, adjusting your consumption to match production.
  2. Mine during the day and top-up the generation using the grid during the dull patches.
  3. Mine 24/7 using a large energy storage system.
  4. Mine 24/7 using the grid as your energy storage by spinning the meter backwards (becoming increasingly naughty).
  5. Mine 24/7 using the grid as your energy storage by going on the official export tariffs.
  6. Something else (please let us know) .

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It's worth telling us just how you intend using your solar energy.

Assuming you will mine crypto:- 

1. Mine only during the day with a small energy storage system to bridge over those dull patches, adjusting your consumption to match production.
  2. Mine during the day and top-up the generation using the grid during the dull patches.
  3. Mine 24/7 using a large energy storage system.
  4. Mine 24/7 using the grid as your energy storage by spinning the meter backwards (becoming increasingly naughty).
  5. Mine 24/7 using the grid as your energy storage by going on the official export tariffs.
  6. Something else (please let us know) .

Great questions but before I begin I will never do anything as silly as stealing electricity complete no no for me.

Your number 1. Mine only during the day with a small energy storage system to bridge over those dull patches, adjusting your consumption to match production.

This is a strong possibility as it's cheaper and I can use Tariff TOU  = off-peak = 2.5 baht a unit

2,3,4 NO

5. Very very strong possibility As I said try and keep costs down no batteries and the biggest system I can get legally.

Side note

This is interesting I'm enjoying the Bitcoin aspect as well as the solar system aspect. I think, I said to you before I would buy as many machines as I could, to get through the next bull run. But even at 4 Baht  A unit, the cost of running these machines is excessively costly. so I think I'm going to have to change my plans and do it bit by bit. 4 machines Equals a 60KW system I think I'm going to have to do it in stages to keep the cost of the electricity down. 

In conclusion,

number 1 and number 5 or a bit of both LOL Thanks again for your experience and knowledge in this matter I do appreciate it.

Screenshot 2024-05-28 071339.png