LTR visa, how long does it take from applying to decision?

Hi, does anybody have recent information on how long the process is taking to get a decision on an application for the LTR visa.

In the past I have applied for various visas and never used an agent before, but this time, due to being busy, I decided to go with one and he is telling me that I am hearing nothing, due to a huge back log at BOI, caused by too many applications.

I am beginning to sniff bull manure, so any up to date information will be appreciated?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, MrBanks said:

Hi, does anybody have recent information on how long the process is taking to get a decision on an application for the LTR visa.

In the past I have applied for various visas and never used an agent before, but this time, due to being busy, I decided to go with one and he is telling me that I am hearing nothing, due to a huge back log at BOI, caused by too many applications.

I am beginning to sniff bull manure, so any up to date information will be appreciated?

Depends.  By the way I think an agent is a waste of time and money for LTR visa.  They can't help you meet the requirements.  Maybe just hold your hand through the process.  Not like they can put money in a bank account like they do for non-imm o's.  By the way what does an agent charge for getting you the LTR visa?

Edited by sabaiguy
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, sabaiguy said:

Depends.  By the way I think an agent is a waste of time and money for LTR visa.  They can't help you meet the requirements.  Maybe just hold your hand through the process.  Not like they can put money in a bank account like they do for non-imm o's.  By the way what does an agent charge for getting you the LTR visa?

totally agree that an agent is worthless for this visa - BOI folks take care of everyone qualified with proper documentation.

• Agree 1

Took me around six weeks from start to finish. Would have been quicker if I did it all while in Thailand. Instead I had to complete everything with Thai Consulate Los Angeles, who aren't the easiest to work with. I went the self insured route where you must show twelve months of bank balances above $100000. This is where they try to screw you up. They actually require $200000 each month

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sabaiguy said:

Thanks for your reply.

I agree with what you say regarding the use of an agent, long story short, this agent offered to do my application free, as a favour to others.

I am fast coming to the conclusion, that free is worthless and I will do the process without him.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

I applied in mid February of this year.  I needed about 5 phone conversations with the BOI reps in order to find out EXACTLY what they needed even though looking at the qualifications/requirements, I had fulfilled those when I did my application.  But, they didn't want my 1099R for pension but instead, last two 1040 (US tax forms), and health insurance, they didn't seem to understand that "unlimited" means more than USD $50K hospitalization - so I also had to get my health insurer to send me a letter via email specifically stating that hospitalization-coverage  in Thailand would be at least USD $50K.  From there all was approved and I got my stamps in PP within 3 weeks of applying.  Was really quick once they got exactly what they wanted as it was approved like the next day!  The BOI folks were extremely helpful at every turn.  No agent is necessary as all is up front in the qualifications - only supporting documentation may cause any delay but just give the BOI folks what they know their superiors will accept even if you think differently.

Thank you for this information, it is very helpful, also your follow up comment regarding the agent. 
Please see my reply to sabaiguy.

1 hour ago, Tomio said:

Took me around six weeks from start to finish. Would have been quicker if I did it all while in Thailand. Instead I had to complete everything with Thai Consulate Los Angeles, who aren't the easiest to work with. I went the self insured route where you must show twelve months of bank balances above $100000. This is where they try to screw you up. They actually require $200000 each month

Thank you for your reply.

I am in Thailand, so hopefully my application will take less than 6 weeks.

I went through the process last August (2023).  The entire process was about 5 weeks.  All documents were accepted the first time.  I agree with others that an agent is a waste of money and time.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, MrBanks said:

First, are you using one of the LTR unit Certified Agents from the LTR website?  https://ltr.boi.go.th/page/ca.html   If you really want to use an agent, I'd make sure it is one that the LTR unit has pre-screened as being acceptable.

If you have any doubt about the status of your application, get your application number (aka "Doc Number) from the current agent, and call the LTR unit directly to ask them where things stand.  If you can't get a Doc Number, then just call the LTR unit, explain you are trying to apply, and ask them how busy they are/how long it will take. 

For what it's worth, I was at the LTR unit last week and it did not look at all busy. One Stop Service across the hall was very busy, but not the LTR unit itself.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrBanks said:

Thank you for your reply.

I am in Thailand, so hopefully my application will take less than 6 weeks.

BTW where are you from and if any help is needed on what they ask for and what you have prepared for, let me know and if you are fm the US then I can steer you to exactly what they want to see.  The initial send of documentation is for the BOI regular folks I am sure that ther superiors who actually do the yea and nay have a SET IDEA on what they want to see.  Just a suggestion if you are US.

I applied this past April over the Songkran holidays. It only took 3.5 weeks from submission to BOI to e-visa issuance.

The application online was super easy. Not sure why one would need an agent. 

• Like 1

I think the time to obtain the LTR visa can very drastically, dependent on how one is going about to meet the LTR visa requirements.

In my case I applied in January-2023 and obtained my LTR Visa in June-2023.  I had a total of 11 information requests from BoI. 

As part of a deliberate (maybe mistaken) effort on my part, I was trying to give BoI the minimum necessary (about my finances) to meet the requirements, and further I likely made insufficient effort to explain my PDF uploads in full filling the LTR-WP visa financial requirements.  

Also my timing was bad.  When I applied in January 2023, I gave BOI copy of my 2020 and 2021 tax returns , but they wanted my 2022 tax return which was not due until end-April-2023.  I did not yet have most of my 2022 receipts to enable me to submit a 2022 tax return. So that took me time to submit a 2022 tax return, have it accepted by the Canadian government, and then provide that back to BoI. 

And as part of proof of investment in Thailand, I purchased some Thai government savings bonds, where currently only a Bond Bank Book is nominally provided as proof of one's bond ownership.  I believe BoI were not used to that, and they demanded a Bond Certificate which nominally has a bit extra information (where Bangkok Bank refused to provide a Bond Certificate, after a 5 week or so go-around ) , and overall that took me about 6-weeks to sort (albeit it could have been sorted much quicker, possibly in a week to sort, had I simply picked up the phone and called BoI a few times followed by trips to the Bank).

I also took too much time to prove Self Health Insurance as I kept trying to get BoI to accept different accounts (with the prerequisite cash) where stock trading is possible ( as Self Health Insurance) , and BoI kept saying not acceptable. That also added a few weeks before I 'caved' and provided them more exactly what they wanted.

So if an agent is taking time to sort an issue, one never knows what is slowing down the process. 

At least in my case, I always knew what was taking the extra time.  Hence that is, I believe, a good reason for one to do this all themselves.  I am not convinced an Agent provides any advantage in the case of an LTR visa application.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Tomio said:

Explain.  I almost went the $100,000 route but decided to go with local Thai insurer (probably overpaying) recommended by BOI.  Thinking it might be easier for BOI to understand.  Don't know if that helped.  Approved in 3 weeks.  I also bypassed the LA Consulate.  Besides being a little more expensive (not a big issue) I had read it was a little bit of a hassle as they are not very familiar with the relatively new LTR.    Flew to Thailand and did at Chamchuri.  Glad I did.

Edited by sabaiguy