Entering Thailand with a Passport that is valid for less than 6 months

23 hours ago, Hotrod1 said:

BUT - for some important reasons - I will need a passport that has actually been issued in the country of my origin.  (Which in this case IS visible in the passport itself, it is stated there, WHERE it has been issued).

If you apply in the Phillipines will the passport actually be issued there or are they just a postbox service and the actual passport will be issued in Switzerland and couriered back to the PI?

If that's the case it removes the obstacle you foresee.

Posted (edited)

A Swiss passport is (always) being issued in Switzerland... BUT it is clearly stated for which "destination" / place / location it is being issued.

If someone lives in Zurich, Basel or Geneva, it will clearly state that the passport was issued in / for Zurich, Basel or Geneva.

If someone lives abroad, or a Swiss embassy abroad ("issues") / requests / orders the passport, it will clearly be indicated that the passport was issued by and for the "Eidgenössisches Departement für auswärtige Angelegenheiten EDA", and that will be included in the passports information as "Authority: EDA Bern".

It looks like this:

image.png.629ba9ba366a5349578cf0bf8ce3d508.png

Now this might sound a bit strange (it actually is ! I fully agree !)... But if as a Swiss, one has a Swiss passport, that states that it was issued by the "EDA Bern", then Swiss banks will refuse to open an account (even if one is a Swiss !!), or if they will want to have an update of the new passport, for their account records, and they see this information noted, they will either close the account (!), or start charging a much higher monthly account maintenance fee, of about 50 USD / month (even if one has only 1k in the account !) (exact amount depends from bank to bank, these 50 USD are at the lower end), if one wants to keep the account active. (And if you think now that this is a stupid rule, I and hundreds of thousands of Swiss, living / staying for an extended period of time abroad, whole heartedly agree !). 

Edited by Hotrod1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/6/2024 at 8:37 AM, Speedhump said:

He said it CAN'T be renewed. I presume you actually read his post? I presume he meant that it can't be renewed in time for travel. Wake up.

Yes I did but why CANT it be renewed?

3 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

My query in the post 2 above yours and the OP's response appear to say why.  His bank may screw him over if he renews it in the PI.

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2024 at 10:59 AM, Photoguy21 said:

That's a different question, isn't it? I already said it probably means he didn't have the time needed before travel. But that's not even relevant as he clearly told us he can't renew.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2024 at 7:56 AM, bobonzo said:

I was turned away at Emirates checkin in Bahrain flying to Thailand via Dubai. USA passport had less than 6 months validity. 

Emirates staff at the check in desk refused to let me fly.

Wow, I am sorry to hear that this has happened to you... I would (of course) Not want this to happen to me (who would)... Would be quite "inconvenient" (to say it mildly). May I ask what you did do then... ? 

My case is a bit different than most (but then again, most everybody has a unique story and reason "why things are the way that they are").

In my case I would have enough time to apply for a new passport, through my embassy, in the country where I am at (until my flight takes place), which is in the Philippines. 

BUT - for some important reasons - I will need a passport that has actually been issued in the country of my origin.  (Which in this case IS visible in the passport itself, it is stated there, WHERE it has been issued).

(To not prolong this here any further, I will leave it at this for now).

In my case, I went back to Saudi and obtained a new US Passport from the Embassy. It only took a few days.

• Haha 1