Koh Samet

Isabel

After my last topic on Koh Chang and the reports I got back of that i think i have changed my mind in going there! We don't drive scooters as I think they are dangerous and also can't drive a car so...not much of an option left!

What about Koh Samet???

We have 10 weeks to spend in Thailand...we have been to loads of places but never been there?

Probably looking to stay there for a week...is there cheap accomodation...our budget is 1000 baht at the most per night! But for this i als0 don't want the pits!!!! We have always managed to get nece rooms for this price in Krabi, samui and Puket so is the same possible here?

Any advice on this small island welcome...nightlife, things to see etc.

Thanks very much!

I didn't make it to the island about 5 years ago due to domestic situation when I had planned a trip there. My research at the time suggested it was a bit pricy compared to other locations, there are better places to go in Thailand.

I think you said you don't have your own transport, time your arrival in Ban Phe (town with ferry pier) to avoid having to spend the night there. The large hotel just East of the pier complex is probably the worst value 1,000 Baht (at the time) hotel I have stayed at in Thailand, I think the name is Pines Beach Hotel.

However the beach front East of Ban Phe itself is great, shallow, sandy and clean.

paysagethailande.JPG

There are a number of hotel resorts further along the beach (+10km) that I would like to explore one day.

Hi,the accomodation isnt that cheap,if your very laid back people then maybe you could do a week there,theres not that much to do there.In the evenings many restaurants set up tables on the beach and have barbecues,candle lit tables.The last time i was there it was rife with mosquitoes.Some parts of the island the beaches and water are very nice.

After my last topic on Koh Chang and the reports I got back of that i think i have changed my mind in going there! We don't drive scooters as I think they are dangerous and also can't drive a car so...not much of an option left!

What about Koh Samet???

We have 10 weeks to spend in Thailand...we have been to loads of places but never been there?

Probably looking to stay there for a week...is there cheap accomodation...our budget is 1000 baht at the most per night! But for this i als0 don't want the pits!!!! We have always managed to get nece rooms for this price in Krabi, samui and Puket so is the same possible here?

Thanks very much!

There isn't really a lot to see on Samet as far as tourist type attractions and not much nite life either but that is probably it's attraction. It's more of a place to ge to kick back and relax. I would try to avoid the place on the weekends though as it does get pretty crowed at that time. Check out Ao Phai Hut. They have nice cabins both A/c and fan for under B1000 at least they were a few years ago. Here is their mobile number for more info: 0813532644 If you have a Lonely Planet guide book for Thailand they will have many others listed

Samed is a very laid back island also one of my favorites...

We usually stay at Ao Phai Beach (just after White Sand Beah- -the crowded one)-- it has av ery nice white sand beach with clear waters. Suggested bungalow is JEP'S BUNGALOW also in the same beach. On the weekend the price is 1500 B/night but maybe you can get it down to 1200 B/night. They have nice and clean bungalows plus includes buffet breakfast. IME, JEP'S has also the best thai food in the island (but slow service, oh well worth the wait). JEP's contact number is 0818533121.

Bring a lot of books with you to chill and relax by the beach. Nightlife in the island is not much, but a few bars.

Hope you enjoy your trip! :o

Edited by hUsh

I stayed outside in a tent for 600 baht a night on Koh Samet because I didn't book ahead. Stupid. Absolutely book ahead. It's more expensive than the mainland but I don't know what the cheapest you can find is, but I bet you could maybe find a low-end p lace for 1000 baht. Don't do the tent, though, that was one of the worst nights of my life. Some Filipino lady kept yelling at her kid to shut up as it was crying basically all night. I guess she was at her wits end. Certainly wasn't being caring to her kid at that moment, though. Makes sense that the kid was crying as it was ######ing hot and humid even in the middle of the night.

Koh Samet is a great place to relax and do nothing but a couple of nights should be enough, otherwise you are likely to become bored.

As Jimjim suggested, you must book ahead....and you must book an air-conditioned bungalow. If you don't, you may end up in a very basic, smelly bungalow with a rusted fan, a cold water pipe coming out of the wall for your shower, a thin dirty mattress on a rusted spring based bed, electricity cut off at 10pm and a no adequate insect screens to protect you from mosquitoes big as horse flies.

Malibu have some nice bungalows for rent but they are not cheap.

The best thing about Koh Samet is having your hot breakfast served at the waters edge, taking in the mornings sun rays, the peace and tranquility and the walk around the island discovering all the little beaches along the way.

Take your insect repellent, your sun screen protection, maybe a torch if you get off the beaten track at night and a camera. :o

What about Koh Samet???

Thanks very much!

well if you dont drive scooters or cars, what do you think is the difference between samet and ko chang?

how did you travel around krabi phucket and samui?

just read all other posts and totally agree, i think 2/3 days prob enough, and, would say the same for ko chang, maybe do samet 2/3 days and travel another maybe 2 hours down coast and go ko chang 2/3 days.

i think theres Koh Chang travel service (think its in tops supermarket) takes you all the way from big p for about 400 bhat (1 way) but be cheaper from samet.

if your that close, ya might as well see it, night life id say is a lot quieter than samui, a little more less romantic than samet, but some good bars, the days you can have a good walk if ya like that, beatufull long empty beeches and one in paticular very nice water fall (not for the disabled about 15 min walk through trees etc) but worth it!

at the bottom of ko chang is a village called bang boa (i think) all on stilts above the sea, nice little shops and resteraunts etc and theyve just built a new pier/lighthouse there.

you say 10 weeks but, is that in high season? cos prices will go up everywhere for accomodation!

but nowish you can get double room aircon with really good views and more or less on the beeche for approx 700 bhat but will easily double nov/dec time!

all the best.

:o

Spent around six weeks there last year. Accomodation from about 1000 bht per night but we ended up in a very basic hut (with lots of white ants) for around 700 bht.  BUT--- right on the beach.

Check out Aou Pudsa and Aou Tub Tim

Brekky on the beach  Quiet at night (no DuffDuff)

Nothing to do except walk, read and swim   

Bliss

I try and hit Koh Samet at least once a year but, like everybody else says, only stay 2 or 3 nights to recharge the batteries as it is very peacful and relaxing (read boring-usually make it through 3-4 books).

Usually stay at Saikeaw Viilla (038644144) in a fan room; clean and hot water for showers; price is good but I forget what it is..

Unfortunately Koh Samet is the WORST place for double pricing; 40 THB for Thais and 400 THB for farangs to enter the park. I don't mind paying a bit more but that is ridiculous. Usually send one child on the Song Taew with a Thai friend and pay the 440 THB but then rent an automatic scooter and take one or two trips (depending on the number of children with me) to ferry everyone to the hotel as they don't stop people on scooters.

I REFUSE, out of principal, to pay 1,600 baht for 4 people to go in the park when Thais would only have to pay 160 THB.............I still end up paying more than twice what the locals would pay.

Beach is excellent and clean; beachside BBQ at night with a fire show near Ploy Talay and a few beers makes for an excellent evening. Only one disco, next beach from Had Sai Keaw, and lots of gays there if thats your wish (not mine though).

To avoid paying the ridiculous double rate park fees, we usually just take the speedboat from Ban Phe directly to our beach (Ao Phai). When we went as group of about 7 people, we paid about 150-200 Baht each (I think). You can either share the speedboat with other people or rent them privately. IMO its worth it rather than taking the slow boat then small truck and paying expensive park fees.

• 2 weeks later...

Koh Samet is definitely going downhill with a hill full of trash... and no place new to dump even more... :o

30044632-01.jpg

Officials inspect the main refuse dump on Koh Samet in Rayong Province, which has reached full capacity. The chief of Khao Laem Ya National Park, of which the tourist island is a part says that no more forest area can be earmarked for additional dumping.

The Nation, August 11, 2007

the guards at the entrance to had saikaew know the times of the arriving ferries, sometimes they also monitor the other beaches for speedboat arrivals...

when you get to the pier, go buy a couple of beers, kickback around an hour then go into the park, preferrably on a rented motorcycle, and act like you already payed.

wearing a big back pack and looking around in wonderment is a dead give away...that you have just arrived.

Koh Samet in #1 for relaxation and good beaches. Haven't seen better beaches anywhere in Thailand. Only thing was when I was there in February there was lots of oil spill in the water so we left after one day. Generally, as in all Thailand, garbage collection and processing just don't work. They generally dump their waste in the backyard of the bungalow village so if you want to stay there try to get a room near the beach, as far from the smelly garbage as you can.

For accomodation, no need to pre-book as some posters insist on (unless you go there on a weekend). Just take the 7:30 minibus from Pattaya and you get to Samet around 10-10:30 in the morning, with plenty of time to snoop around. Before I always stayed at Sai Kaew Villa, but not anymore. They're B700 for a fan room and B1500 for AC. Their pillows are by far the worst neck breakers I've encountered in my life. About the size of a small tree trunk and just as hard, made from plastic..Do not stay in Ploy Talay either unless you care to listen to their 120db mustic from the disco (rooms right behind the disco). Also they dump all their garbage right outside the rooms. I would agree with the poster recommending Jep's. Last time in June I paid B1100 for AV with breakfast buffet included (a good one). Beware that the bungalows are built surrounded by jungle so mosquitoes could be an issue (at least in the rainy season). But still recommended.

For nightlife, there isn't much but in the evening most people tend to gather at the Silver Sands bar that has an open air dance floor and a good drinks menu. The hamburge lady makes real nice cheeseburgers for B70.

I agree that you should try to get a few people waiting for a boat in Ban Phe together and share a speed boad. Turns out about B200 per pax (as compared to B50 for the slow boat that NEVE leaves on time as the trucks keep coming and coming and coming with endless supplies for food, drinks, building material etc etc for the island and the slow boat always waits for them all...) and as someone mentioned chances are you can avoid the ridiculous B400 national park fee (paying for what? not to keep the place clean anyway...)

bungalows are built surrounded by jungle so mosquitoes could be an issue (at least in the rainy season). But still recommended.

so don't forget to bring your mosquito/insect repellant (I use OFF spray)... its scary how big the mosquitoes are in the island, esp. at night...

I'd recommend staying at 'The Beach House' off the ferry and turn right - palatial rooms for 1200bht per night - Dont pay to get in the park (they only charge if they see you with bags) - 1200bht is superb value for the price you pay for the 'sheds' near the beach, a sort of Asian Butlins set up - No mosquitoes, beautiful sea view - I dont go anywhere else.

• 1 year later...
Koh Samet is definitely going downhill with a hill full of trash... and no place new to dump even more... :o

30044632-01.jpg

Officials inspect the main refuse dump on Koh Samet in Rayong Province, which has reached full capacity. The chief of Khao Laem Ya National Park, of which the tourist island is a part says that no more forest area can be earmarked for additional dumping.

A year and half later, things are no better... :D

30099864-01.jpg

A local resident yesterday points at the pile of garbage at Rayong’s Koh Samet, which has prompted the provincial governor to order authorities to move the rubbish to the mainland because burning it would affect the environment.

The Nation, April 8, 2009

Edited by sriracha john

nice beachs....not much to do there just sit around and relax..accommodation is fairly basic hut style...mosquitos and sand flies alot....2 nights was enough for me.......koh chang was better i thought for everything.....

i agreee with most of the posers here. I was on ko samet diuring the tsunami. luicky us we had changed our phuket reservations twice and ended up on Ko Samet. Most beach areas are quiet with like zero night life. One complex on northeast side seems the busiest but I was not there. we stayed on southeast side, Malibu resort. Had nice rooms, place had a pool also. Bring your own friend or books., Water is great. half day snorkel dive trip on a boat around the island is great. waverrunner there for rental. At night, the 7 hotels all have outdoor barbecue. tables of fish and kabobs that you pick and choose from and they cook. Sit outside on beach on nice sicker chairs. Really really nice. White talcum sand is lovely. basically no road on the island but you can walk around the trail if you are adventurous. Our rooms were about 1600 baht at high season in 2004. Book in advance.

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately Koh Samet is the WORST place for double pricing; 40 THB for Thais and 400 THB for farangs to enter the park. I don't mind paying a bit more but that is ridiculous. Usually send one child on the Song Taew with a Thai friend and pay the 440 THB but then rent an automatic scooter and take one or two trips (depending on the number of children with me) to ferry everyone to the hotel as they don't stop people on scooters.

Last year when I went, 20bht for Thailand resident, 200bht for non-resident. There does seem to be a high season x2 price rise.

As I'm a resident, I only paid the 20bht (Driving licence or Yellow book accepted as proof of residency)

Do the ferries allow you to bring your own motor scooter to the island. I see you can rent them once there?

Yes, I have seen motorbikes on the ferries. Staff will help to load and unload. Not sure on pricing though.

I've never considered bringing a bike out there myself, the roads are terrible.

Rented a bike there once. 150 (or could have been 200) Baht for the day, fuel was included.

The rental was fitted with off road tires that were quite helpful. Drove from the north end to the south end and back, with quite a few stops along the way to check out the island.

Nothing spectacular and doubt I will do another rental there again. On the other hand, when I go to Samet I just like to hang on the beach, or within walking distance of the resort I'm staying.

I like this resort:

www.samedvilla.com

stayed there 4-5 times, no complaints.

near the silver sands beach bar but not too near so it is quiet and comfortable bungalows.

for bike renting, I found the semi automatic Honda wave's hard to ride on the sandy roads, as the gear change is too harsh and makes the wheels slip, I prefer to rent a bike with a full clutch on Samet.

cheers

Also be advised the few baht buses (which are just 4wd small pick up trucks) stop running at night or at least can be hard to find.

So if your sight seeing at one end of the island or other, start making your way back to where ever your staying by evening.

As posters have noted, most end up at White Sands by Jep's come night, as that is the only real entertainment venue, music, fire dancing, candle kites, etc.

You can rent ATV's, which is the best way to get around on the dirt track roads, what few there are.

:)

Edited by cobra

Koh Samet is definitely going downhill with a hill full of trash... and no place new to dump even more... sad.gif

30044632-01.jpg

I stayed on Samet a few years ago, and considered it one of the worst ( after Hua Hin ) places I've been in Thailand. The entire island ( down to the half way point, as that was as far as I got before coming down with food poisoning ) was a rubbish dump. The park fee for farangs is just theft, as the authorities obviously don't spend money on the environment.

The village from the pier to the first beach is a decrepit collection of festering shacks.

The songtheaws are outrageously expensive.

The beaches are encroached by the usual horrible pesudo Thai restaurants, and if I remember correctly there are the pestilential jet skiis/ banana boats etc destroying any beach ambience.

I stayed at Sae Kaew ( ?spelling ) Villa, and don't recommend it for the rock hard mattress and cr*p service. All the places I enquired at were well overpriced for what they were offering.

Lastly, the piers at both ends of the boat journey were substandard and hazardous to limbs.

IMO, Krabi, Lanta and Phangan ( not including Hat Rin ) offer a far superior beach holiday.

Also be advised the few baht buses (which are just 4wd small pick up trucks) stop running at night or at least can be hard to find.

So if your sight seeing at one end of the island or other, start making your way back to where ever your staying by evening.

As posters have noted, most end up at White Sands by Jep's come night, as that is the only real entertainment venue, music, fire dancing, candle kites, etc.

You can rent ATV's, which is the best way to get around on the dirt track roads, what few there are.

:)

Or, you can walk. It's a small island.