Working a s a private english tutor on a non-O

Hi,

I have a non-O marriage visa for 7 years now and I am thinking of becoming a private English tutor.

Unfortunately, this does not seem a standard thing to do, and thus I can not find any info about it.

Work permits always talk about a employer, I would be self-employed.

Does anyone know how this works?

Thanks in advance.

Maarten

Get your wife to start a Company that employs you, but how you get round the other work permit regs like employee ratio, company financial records, etc., god knows because I don't I was always working for a school or an agent.

In the current climate it's not worth trying to stay below the radar, as you'll probably be snitched on.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Private tutors for a few students flies under the radar.  If you are going to do it as a real job then go through the hoops but you may find them many and not worth it.

Might be better to try online or getting pt at one of the schools

I have known of a couple people who have done this on "marriage"/"retirement" visas, without being "caught", but technically (I believe) it is illegal if ones does not have "work/volunteer visa" - thus potential arrest an deportation.

23 hours ago, Maartensworld said:

I have a non-O marriage visa for 7 years now and I am thinking of becoming a private English tutor.

Just one persons opinion....

Foolish idea.

This is a job that can be done by Thai nationals that have excellent English skill set. 

This is different to just working online under the radar in services that do not receive income from being "private English tutor" 

2 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

I have known of a couple people who have done this on "marriage"/"retirement" visas, without being "caught", but technically (I believe) it is illegal if ones does not have "work/volunteer visa" - thus potential arrest an deportation.

Yes, you can work while on a "marriage visa/extension", provided the job is not on the protected list, you don't need to have a "work/volunteer visa", you do however require a work permit to be legal.

Working while on a "retirement" visa is strictly a no-no.

Working under the radar as I've said before is not a good idea in the current climate.

8 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

That would make absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Lots of foreign school teachers teach the students extra in private lesson for payment.

I looked into this several years ago, as I have teaching experience and always had many people asking for tutoring. Unfortunately, you can't just set yourself up as a private tutor. To do it legally, you would need to form a legitimate business with minimum required capital investment, Thai shareholders, Thai employees (at least 2 if you are legally married to a Thai citizen and 4 if not). You would also have to adhere to certain accounting practices, which adds another layer of costs. The company you set up would then have to apply for a work permit for you in order for you to be able to teach.  Your business would also need approval from the Ministry of Education. They have all sorts of rules about the size of the premises you must have to teach out of, number of bathrooms, waiting area, etc. As you can see, things get complicated and costly. I know several foreigners with Thai spouses that opened up tutoring centers. All of them wound up getting out of it after a few years, saying that the income from it just wasn't worth the hassle. Of course, you'll see many tutoring centers that are run by Thai teachers that don't seem to meet all the requirements. I think that they can get around things because the rules are applied differently for them.

Many foreigners teach/tutor illegally. There are risks to that. I have actually heard immigration officers asking children in one neighborhood where I lived if any of their foreign neighbors were teaching them English. The IO's you see when you do your extensions are essentially office workers. There are other ones whose main job is to seek out and arrest foreigners who are working illegally. There's also a lot of jealousy here and it would be very easy for someone to report you. A foreigner always stands out here and is like low hanging fruit for the cops.

It's unfortunate that it's like this because there are many areas where the local folks don't have access to competent tutors. Or, maybe you just want to help some of the local kids out and make a little money on the side. That probably won't give you anywhere near enough income to cover all the operating costs, if done legally. If there are any tutoring centers where you live, you can check with them, as some will employ foreign teachers.

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2024 at 8:37 AM, Maartensworld said:

Hi,

Unfortunately, this does not seem a standard thing to do, and thus I can not find any info about it.

Work permits always talk about a employer, I would be self-employed.

Does anyone know how this works?

Thanks in advance.

Maarten

waarschijnlijk ga je tegen de lamp lopen en dan hier komen wenen

not worth the risk, your name sounds very DUTCH...are you a teacher ?

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Just one persons opinion....

Foolish idea.

This is a job that can be done by Thai nationals that have excellent English skill set. 

You are clearly unaware of the huge difference between a native speaker of English and a fluent Thai.

There is a reason pay a premium for native speakers.

• Haha 1