The SNP's Decline: Scottish Voters Demand Accountability

Social Media

image.png.e879445b5ad19231258e16dd6c99c6dc.png

The Scottish National Party (SNP), long dominant in Scotland's political landscape, is facing a significant shift in public sentiment. Recent events and public outcry suggest that the electorate is growing weary of the SNP's excuses and mismanagement, especially in critical areas like education and healthcare.

During a recent BBC debate among Scotland’s political leaders, the frustration of Scottish voters was palpable. John Swinney, the SNP leader and First Minister of Scotland, faced harsh criticism from citizens who accused him of deflecting responsibility and blaming external factors for the SNP's failures. A Glasgow mother voiced her frustration directly, saying she was "sick" of Swinney blaming everyone else for issues that fall under the SNP's jurisdiction, such as education and health. Her comments resonated with many viewers, highlighting a growing discontent with the SNP's governance.

Adding to the criticism, a young man from the audience expressed his anger at the state of the economy, noting the boarded-up businesses and increasing number of beggars in the streets. He condemned the SNP's focus on independence while failing to address pressing local issues. Swinney’s attempts to defend his party's record by blaming deficiencies on the British government or other parties fell flat in the face of these pointed critiques.

The debate illustrated a broader shift in public opinion. As Swinney struggled to deflect blame, the public's dissatisfaction became increasingly clear. Opinion polls suggest that the SNP could face a significant defeat in the upcoming July 4 election. This potential downturn mirrors the political embarrassment experienced by Gordon Brown in 2010 when he was caught on camera dismissing a concerned voter as "bigoted."

In the debate, Swinney was confronted with the harsh reality of public opinion. The Glaswegian mother demanded accountability for the SNP’s failures, particularly in education and healthcare, which are fully devolved to the Scottish government. Her demand for a direct answer underscored the frustration felt by many Scottish parents: "We’re sick of hearing it’s Westminster’s fault that education is in crisis. We want to know what you and your party are going to do to fix what’s happening in education right now." When Swinney attempted to sidestep her criticism, she forcefully interjected, "Stop passing the buck."

Swinney's assertion that Scottish independence would enable him to address these issues was met with skepticism. Despite his description of independence as a "beautiful proposition," the public and his critics saw this as another evasion. One audience member quipped, "Tidy the flat before you move out, John," suggesting that the SNP should address current issues before pursuing independence.

Political opponents, including Douglas Ross of the Scottish Tories and Anas Sarwar of Scottish Labour, seized the opportunity to highlight Swinney’s deflection tactics. They argued that with full control over education and the NHS, the SNP had no excuse for their failures.

The debate also featured a contentious appearance by Lorna Slater of the Greens, who, instead of presenting clear alternatives, delivered what was perceived as a confused and noisy rant. Her performance did little to bolster her party's standing and may have alienated potential voters.

As the July 4 election approaches, traditional SNP voters may be reconsidering their support. The debate underscored a significant shift in public sentiment, with increasing numbers of Scots demanding accountability and effective governance. The SNP’s focus on independence, while neglecting critical domestic issues, appears to be losing its appeal among a populace tired of excuses and eager for tangible improvements in their daily lives.

The outcome of the election could mark a turning point in Scottish politics, signaling a decline in the SNP’s dominance and a demand for more accountable and effective leadership. As voters prepare to cast their ballots, the message is clear: it’s time for the SNP to address the real issues facing Scotland and take responsibility for their governance.

Credit: Daily Telegraph 2024-06-14

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

A typically slanted report by the Telegraph - it fails to mention that after 14 years in government in Scotland, the SNP is running almost neck and neck with Labour, with the likelihood that the SNP will still return the largest number of MPs to Westminster. 

It's all very well saying that the SNP is responsible for the various challenges that Scotland faces, but it's utterly disingenuous to make that complaint without acknowledging that the efforts of any Scottish government, be it SNP, Labour or Tory (ok, that's obviously never going to happen), will always be diminished by our continued minor place in the United Kingdom. One of the fundamental requirements to improve our country is to throw off the shackles imposed on it by being in this corrupt and unequal union.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Any more inept or corrupt than any of the other parties in the UK? 

English MPs hold all the cards in Westminster, and Scottish resources have always been channelled south to cushion the south of England so you can understand why so many see England and Westminster as being perniciously synonymous.

I am confident, however, that when your country eventually grows a pair and shows that it has the ability to stand on its own two feet, without having to suck resources from its neighbours, that the relationships between England and the rest of the countries in the union will improve. 

Very funny..............:clap2:

• Love It 1

44 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Any more inept or corrupt than any of the other parties in the UK? 

Judging by the recent hate crime bill and the fallout, yes more inept. 

Judging by Sturgeon's refusal to answer questions about the missing funds/campervan fiasco, yes more corrupt. 

44 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

English MPs hold all the cards in Westminster, and Scottish resources have always been channelled south to cushion the south of England so you can understand why so many see England and Westminster as being perniciously synonymous.

I am confident, however, that when your country eventually grows a pair and shows that it has the ability to stand on its own two feet, without having to suck resources from its neighbours, that the relationships between England and the rest of the countries in the union will improve. 

Brilliant! Great to see you still have a sense of humour despite the collapse of Scottish Independence hopes. Thanks for the laughs 😃

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Judging by the recent hate crime bill and the fallout, yes more inept. 

You should read about what Liz Truss did the economy and how she turned the UK into an international laughing stock in barely a month - I promise you will be shocked! 

21 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Judging by Sturgeon's refusal to answer questions about the missing funds/campervan fiasco, yes more corrupt. 

You should read about the PPE scandal and how UK government ministers funnelled billions of pounds into the pockets of their friends and family - I promise you will be shocked!

23 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Brilliant! Great to see you still have a sense of humour despite the collapse of Scottish Independence hopes. Thanks for the laughs 😃

You should read the results of last week's Ipsos Mori poll which has support for independence ahead of support for the union - I promise you will be shocked!

https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2024-06/ipsos-scottish-political-monitor-june-2024-tables.pdf

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

You should read about what Liz Truss did the economy and how she turned the UK into an international laughing stock in barely a month - I promise you will be shocked! 

You should read about the PPE scandal and how UK government ministers funnelled billions of pounds into the pockets of their friends and family - I promise you will be shocked!

You should read the results of last week's Ipsos Mori poll which has support for independence ahead of support for the union - I promise you will be shocked!

https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2024-06/ipsos-scottish-political-monitor-june-2024-tables.pdf

It's nice to see a good selection of polls to get the full picture. This one has independence lagging for some years.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1170409/scottish-independence/

6 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

A typically slanted report by the Telegraph - it fails to mention that after 14 years in government in Scotland, the SNP is running almost neck and neck with Labour, with the likelihood that the SNP will still return the largest number of MPs to Westminster. 

Neck and neck, you say.

https://www.holyrood.com/news/view,labour-takes-strong-lead-over-snp-in-latest-poll

https://www.thenational.scot/news/24332727.labour-record-largest-lead-snp-since-2014-new-poll/

4 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I am not sure why neither of your links will open for me - are they based on UK wide polling? It tends to distort Scottish predictions because of the added SNP factor. 

Here is the one I was referring to. Since Humza Useless stepped down, the SNP has steadily closed the gap on Labour. Swinney is a bit dull but much more relatable.

Edited by RuamRudy

4 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I didn't check the second link. But from the first one

"Scottish Labour has taken a 10-point lead over the SNP in the latest YouGov poll on Westminster voting intention.

The two parties are also neck-and-neck for Holyrood voting."

I must say I don't see where 'also' in the second sentence comes from.

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I am not sure why neither of your links will open for me - are they based on UK wide polling? It tends to distort Scottish predictions because of the added SNP factor. 

Here is the one I was referring to. Since Humza Useless stepped down, the SNP has steadily closed the gap on Labour. Swinney is a bit dull but much more relatable.

They open up for me. Check your firewall.

The independence poll says " how people would vote". That sounds Scots only.

Edited by youreavinalaff

I support independence but not the SNP. All they are to me is a useful Trojan Horse. 

All they had to do was empty the bins and enact law & order reform. Instead of ensuring that no one serves less than six months in prison they allowed male rapists into female prisons. 

Absurd. They deserve to pay for that calamity alone. 

I'm choosing to not vote in this election. This next four years will see us back in 1976/79 territory. Horror show upcoming to the point my family is cashing out. Don't be shocked if for the first time in history the pound is worth less than a dollar under the Labour government. 

And don't be shocked if it goes under 35 Thai baht. If you have spare capital in the UK and live in Thailand move it now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/14/2024 at 9:29 AM, RuamRudy said:

Last night's game against Germany was a great example of how Scotland fares out in the big bad world without the rest of the UK propping it up.

Best you stick with us.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Last night's game against Germany was a great example of how Scotland fares out in the big bad world without the rest of the UK propping it up.

Best you stick with us.

True, Scotland are a footballing shambles. England, the only 'big' European footballing nation to win nothing since men first walked on the moon, just lost to Iceland - again. Wales could only draw with Gibraltar and Northern Ireland can't even build a new stadium.

We would all be wise to switch our allegiance to our adopted country, since Thailand are not allowed to play in the Euros 🙂 

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Pickwick said:

True, Scotland are a footballing shambles. England, the only 'big' European footballing nation to win nothing since men first walked on the moon, just lost to Iceland - again. Wales could only draw with Gibraltar and Northern Ireland can't even build a new stadium.

We would all be wise to switch our allegiance to our adopted country, since Thailand are not allowed to play in the Euros 🙂 

Don't worry the Scottish nationalists will find a way to blame it on the English, sorry I mean Waistminstaierrr.

• Love It 1

On 6/15/2024 at 11:49 PM, JonnyF said:

Best you stick with us.

Football is not really my thing, but are you referring to this? No thanks, the rest of the world is tired of this every time your country goes abroad. Why would we want to be associated with that? 

9 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Don't worry the Scottish nationalists will find a way to blame it on the English, sorry I mean Waistminstaierrr.

When you say Scottish Nationalists, you really mean Scottish people, because don't ever forget that the majority of us voted to leave this rancid union in 2014.

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

When you say Scottish Nationalists, you really mean Scottish people, because don't ever forget that the majority of us voted to leave this rancid union in 2014.

No you didn't. That's why you're still in it.

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Football is not really my thing,

Football is not really Scotlands thing either. Although the celtic rangers rivalry provides a good excuse for sectarian thuggery.

Seeing as you don't follow football you may have missed England's win last night after Scotland capitulated against Germany. 

51 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Football is not really Scotlands thing either. Although the celtic rangers rivalry provides a good excuse for sectarian thuggery.

Seeing as you don't follow football you may have missed England's win last night after Scotland capitulated against Germany. 

We already mentioned this. Scotland have won nothing and are rubbish. England have won something once, but that was in between the assassination of John F Kennedy and Neil Armstrong walking on the moon. I know many members here are very old, but still. Scotland get thrashed by European heavyweights and England continually get beaten by Iceland. Wales and NI are similarly not very good. The Premier League is the best in the world, yet everyone forgets to tell Real Madrid etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, I apologise for the thread ****; this is a thread about the SNP who are not very good either. It's sunny here in Thailand though.

5 hours ago, Pickwick said:

We already mentioned this. Scotland have won nothing and are rubbish. England have won something once, but that was in between the assassination of John F Kennedy and Neil Armstrong walking on the moon. I know many members here are very old, but still. Scotland get thrashed by European heavyweights and England continually get beaten by Iceland. Wales and NI are similarly not very good. The Premier League is the best in the world, yet everyone forgets to tell Real Madrid etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, I apologise for the thread ****; this is a thread about the SNP who are not very good either. It's sunny here in Thailand though.

I like your selective memory. Must be great in your world. When ever there is a fact you don't like, just forget it. 🤣🤣🤣🥰

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I like your selective memory. Must be great in your world. When ever there is a fact you don't like, just forget it. 🤣🤣🤣🥰

Sorry, but I am not sure what fact I missed, it certainly wasn't intentional. What 'fact' did I miss? England's victory? Sectarian thuggery? You think the SNP are good?

England - Well done, a valuable 3 points and almost certainly through to the next round (I was already quite certain before the game was played though). However, I am not getting carried away with excitement, for it has been keenly pointed out that Scotland are rubbish and have been for some time, and England's opponents - Serbia - were knocked out of the qualifying last time by, er, Scotland. I fully expect Scotland to get tobleroned on Wednesday, so will hope to see England improve and look forward to some excellent clashes with the the likes of France etc. in the later rounds.

Sectarian thuggery - indeed, a blight on Glasgow. But I am not Glaswegian, nor do I support one of the Old Firm, so it is not something I have experienced first hand. Plenty of thuggery, tragedy chanting etc. and other negative aspects to football in every country it is played unfortunately, as was evidenced last night in Gelsenkirchen and Hamburg. A great shame.

The SNP - it is your opinion if you think the SNP are good or not. I am not an SNP supporter and the OP suggesting the SNPs decline is not a surprise to me. Unfortunately, the choice in Scotland politically is as underwhelming as the rest of the UK, so I wouldn't write them off just yet.

15 hours ago, Pickwick said:

Sorry, but I am not sure what fact I missed, it certainly wasn't intentional. What 'fact' did I miss? England's victory? Sectarian thuggery? You think the SNP are good?

England - Well done, a valuable 3 points and almost certainly through to the next round (I was already quite certain before the game was played though). However, I am not getting carried away with excitement, for it has been keenly pointed out that Scotland are rubbish and have been for some time, and England's opponents - Serbia - were knocked out of the qualifying last time by, er, Scotland. I fully expect Scotland to get tobleroned on Wednesday, so will hope to see England improve and look forward to some excellent clashes with the the likes of France etc. in the later rounds.

Sectarian thuggery - indeed, a blight on Glasgow. But I am not Glaswegian, nor do I support one of the Old Firm, so it is not something I have experienced first hand. Plenty of thuggery, tragedy chanting etc. and other negative aspects to football in every country it is played unfortunately, as was evidenced last night in Gelsenkirchen and Hamburg. A great shame.

The SNP - it is your opinion if you think the SNP are good or not. I am not an SNP supporter and the OP suggesting the SNPs decline is not a surprise to me. Unfortunately, the choice in Scotland politically is as underwhelming as the rest of the UK, so I wouldn't write them off just yet.

Of course, when we discuss the SNP's decline, it is important to put it in context - prior to the dissolution of parliament the SNP held 73% of the seats in Westminster. They are currently predicted to return with around 60% of the seats. The Tories started with 11% and are predicted to return just one Scottish MP - one too many in most Scots' books, to be honest.

On 6/17/2024 at 7:50 AM, RuamRudy said:

Totally inconclusive. A study by some nationalists in a University.

The second word of the following paragraph is the important part. "IF". I notice how they say "will" have voted No instead of "would". Trying to give their little study a bit of credence.

image.png.68ef3d8196f3b4bbf02487d1227fbcfa.png

Essentially, "if they voted how we say they would have voted this could have been the result". Clutching at nationalistic straws. 

Anyway, demeaning/ignoring the vote of people not born in Scotland seems a bit exclusive to me. If they are eligible to vote, they can vote. Your argument reminds me of the Remainers saying most old people voted for Brexit and they'll be dead soon anyway so let's ignore their vote. 

Anyway, in the unlikely event that study is accurate, it would be lucky for you that voters who have knowledge of the world outside Scotland and do not have the "little Scotlander" insular nationalistic mentality would have saved you from self destruction. 

Fact is, eligible voters voted to stay in the union instead of choosing " Strong Independt Scotland" (as an insignificant vassal state taking orders from the EU).

46 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Totally inconclusive. A study by some nationalists in a University.

The second word of the following paragraph is the important part. "IF". I notice how they say "will" have voted No instead of "would". Trying to give their little study a bit of credence.

image.png.68ef3d8196f3b4bbf02487d1227fbcfa.png

Essentially, "if they voted how we say they would have voted this could have been the result". Clutching at nationalistic straws. 

Anyway, demeaning/ignoring the vote of people not born in Scotland seems a bit exclusive to me. If they are eligible to vote, they can vote. Your argument reminds me of the Remainers saying most old people voted for Brexit and they'll be dead soon anyway so let's ignore their vote. 

Anyway, in the unlikely event that study is accurate, it would be lucky for you that voters who have knowledge of the world outside Scotland and do not have the "little Scotlander" insular nationalistic mentality would have saved you from self destruction. 

Fact is, eligible voters voted to stay in the union instead of choosing " Strong Independt Scotland" (as an insignificant vassal state taking orders from the EU).

You seem quite upset that me and the majority of my countrymen consider that being in a union with you and your country is toxic and damaging to Scotland. I would have thought that since 2014 your leaders would have learned from it and actually lived up to their promises of a better, fairer and more equitable UK but sadly it is increasingly unfair and an increasingly nasty little hole of a place. It is not that nothing has changed since then - what was then bad has got markedly worse since then. 

So there we have it - the SNP will continue to have the largest number of MPs and the largest number of MSPs and we will be able to show clearly that it is not the Tories that is the problem, it is the UK as a whole - and that Scotland would be massively better off walking away from it. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

You seem quite upset that me and the majority of my countrymen consider that being in a union with you and your country is toxic and damaging to Scotland. I would have thought that since 2014 your leaders would have learned from it 

You are gaslighting.

It wasn't even close. 😄

image.png.26c8886bcbbbf8edfe51abd188933a59.png

• Thumbs Up 1

The SNP, want to break away from the UK and govern itself, control its finances whilst their hands are in the till with no problems......😒

Scots know that now....😱

Except RR, he's a shield thumper.......:coffee1:

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Pickwick said:

Sorry, but I am not sure what fact I missed, it certainly wasn't intentional. What 'fact' did I miss? England's victory?

Correct.  You missed England's victory.

image.png.ef1148a030325e2a8fcbaaee375c38de.png

Edited by JonnyF