Passport renewal question

I am now Stateside with a passport with a reentry stamp. My passport needs to be renewed about 2 months after I return, but I would like to renew it before I return to Thailand. Will immigration accept the stamp in a canceled passport if you also have the renewed passport with you?

2 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

No problem at all, happens all the time

You show both passports when you come in to the country. The immigration officer at passport control will stamp you in to the country on the new passport noting you had an extension/re-entry permit in the old passport

Then you go to your immigration office after that to get the stamps transferred to the new passport

I was hoping that would be the case. Its a lot easier for me to get it here. They can do it at the local PO

1 hour ago, bunnydrops said:

I was hoping that would be the case. Its a lot easier for me to get it here

Yes no problem. 

For others: be aware that at CW, when you go there to transfer stamps etc to new pp they require you provide bank book and update and photocopies if using money in bank for extension (retirement).

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes no problem. 

For others: be aware that at CW, when you go there to transfer stamps etc to new pp they require you provide bank book and update and photocopies if using money in bank for extension (retirement).

Is that the same for money in the back marriage extensions too?

7 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Is that the same for money in the back marriage extensions too?

Thinking that would not be required for extensions based on marriage.

Have never read a report of anyone being refused extension for not maintaining the 400k during the under consideration period. So can't imagine why immigration would wish to see bank account.

My guess is it's directed to extensions based on retirement.

Perhaps issue for those using agent.

I did politely protest.

The form CW use for stamps transfer has list of requirements on page 2. Bank Book photocopies is not listed. 

The io would not tell me why (never previously required) they wanted them. Also made me go downstairs to banks to update bank account..

You mentioned "Stateside", so I'm guessing USA. You will be getting a new/different passport number.

You will need to go to and update each institution that uses your passport number (bank, hospital registration, etc.)

Maybe you can also ask immigration to update you 90 Day Report online profile when you do the stamp transfer, so you don't have to go in person when doing the report with the new passport number.

• Thanks 1

Safest way with NEW PP:

OUT OF COUNTRY:

YOU LIVE HERE: Carry both PP , show both on re-entry ( old PP has stay extension  AND re-entry permit)

Have extension stamps transfered to new PP

( SOME IO's also require you current bank report )

File a NEW TM-30

You should be OK for 90 day report.

IN COUNTRY:

YOU LIVE HERE:

Take BOTH PP to the IO for stamp transfer.

( SOME IO's also require you current bank report )

File a NEW TM-30

Should be good to go for 90 days - file if necessary

NOTE:

The REASON I say file a new TM-30, many IO's are cross checking PP ..NUMBERS.. against Stay Extensions, Re-entry permits, TM-30's and 90 day reports.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1