Chumphon Tour Bus Crash Leaves Two Dead, Many Injured

image.jpeg

A tour bus and a truck carrying rubber wood logs collided yesterday, resulting in two fatalities and multiple injuries. The collision took place in Chumphon province, causing significant disruption and distress.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Somboon Phumkajorn of Tha Sae Police Station reported the incident happened at 10.30 pm. The tour bus, operated by Sombat Tour travelling from Bangkok to Ranong, collided with a Hino truck at a U-turn on Phetkasem Road, near the Khao Phang Highway Police Station in Tha Kham subdistrict, Tha Sae district, Chumphon province.

Emergency services from Chumphon Khet Udomsak Hospital, Tha Sae Hospital, Thonburi-Chumphon Hospital, and rescue units from Chumphon Charitable Foundation rushed to the bus crash. The bus had 28 people on board, including 24 passengers, two drivers, and two hostesses. The front of the bus was destroyed, with debris and rubber wood logs scattered across the road.

The bus driver, identified as Thanakorn Uang-ngan, was found deceased at the wheel, crushed during the impact. A female bus hostess, seated near the front, also succumbed to her injuries. Rescue workers used hydraulic cutters to extract the bodies from the wreckage.

Further investigation revealed two Isuzu D-Max pick-up trucks were involved in the aftermath of the collision. The first, driven by 45-year-old Sornchat Setthaphakinkin, a resident of Nakatam subdistrict, Chumphon, collided with the rear of the tour bus after the crash.

The second, another Isuzu D-Max, was unable to brake in time and crashed into the first pick-up truck. The drivers of both pick-up trucks were unharmed.

The 42-year-old truck driver, Manoch Noijiew, transporting the rubber wood logs from Pakchan subdistrict, Kra Buri district, Ranong to Trang province, stated he had signalled properly before making the U-turn to refuel.

“I had given all the necessary signals but as I was making the U-turn, I heard a loud crash.”

Sornchat, the driver of the first pick-up truck, explained he was travelling in the left lane at a normal speed of approximately 80 kilometres per hour.

“The accident happened very quickly. The bus collided with the truck, and the next thing I knew, there was a wheel blocking my path.”

Police are currently gathering witness statements and physical evidence from the scene to determine the exact cause of the bus crash. The exact number of injured individuals is still being verified, with many having been transported to nearby hospitals for treatment.

Picture courtesy: Siam News

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 4

23 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

One - it isn't a tour bus, From the photo, it's a regular bus service

Two - someone wasn't paying attention and was going too fast to avoid a collision. Perfectly normal here.

Seems the bus hit the back of the truck... nuff said.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A tour bus

Please excuse my ignorance, but why are these "service buses" referred to as "tour buses"?

This one was a regular interprovincial bus from Bangkok to Ranong (see photo above)

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Two - someone wasn't paying attention and was going too fast to avoid a collision. Perfectly normal here.

One - that's irrelevant to the circumstances.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:
1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

someone wasn't paying attention and was going too fast to avoid a collision. Perfectly normal here.

Seems the bus hit the back of the truck... nuff said.

...seems that the bus hit the truck that U-turned in front of it.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

47 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but why are these "service buses" referred to as "tour buses"?

This one was a regular interprovincial bus from Bangkok to Ranong (see photo above)

What difference does it make?  Why was the other vehicle described as a truck, not a lorry?

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What difference does it make?  Why was the other vehicle described as a truck, not a lorry?

its a forum, where members are encouraged to participate thus making it a successful "forum"...

apparently it makes a difference to the poster, as he asked..no one asked you to give  a non response...geez...smh

everyday i ask myself why i even bother to log on this site.....what a bunch of grumpy grandpas......misery loves company

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:
27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

One - that's irrelevant to the circumstances.

do tell us all what is relevant since you seem to know it all.....oh great one.....enlighten us common people

Work it out for yourself but the description of the type of bus involved is irrelevant to the accident.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tubulat said:

Yes, so It seems the truck filled with logs had almost completed the u-turn.

A single lane uncontrolled U-turn is inappropriate for a logging truck or any more than two axle vehicles. If a U-turn is allowed for big wheelers it should have a two lane median and the exit lane into the U-turn should have warning lights. But Thailand seems to value highway costs over the dead and injured.

1 minute ago, Srikcir said:

A single lane uncontrolled U-turn is inappropriate for a logging truck or any more than two axle vehicles. If a U-turn is allowed for big wheelers it should have a two lane median and the exit lane into the U-turn should have warning lights. But Thailand seems to value highway costs over the dead and injured.

It is the Petkasemroad to the south, most of the traject is 2 times 2 or 3 lanes.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...seems that the bus hit the truck that U-turned in front of it.

Well the driver won't be making that mistake again.

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

That's a tad unfair.

Thailand has no control over when or where someone decides to make a U turn .

Most long vehicles here do not have side lighting. So when they are sideways on to oncoming traffic such as at U Turns they are unlit. I nearly ran into one that came out of a side turning on an unlit stretch of road. 

6 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

That's a tad unfair.

Thailand has no control over when or where someone decides to make a U turn .

There are numerous deliberate highway U-Turns in Thailand and have been the scene of many collisions. No reason to believe the instant case that it doesn't involve a physical highway U-Turn versus a random unplanned U-Turn where none physically exists. 

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

A lorry?.....Can't the Brits leave some of their sayings at home.....it's truck everywhere in the world...except Britain!

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It has Tour written on the front window. Sombat Tour to be exact. Why wouldnt you think it is not a tour bus? In Thailand these are all called Tour buses.

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 22.08.16.png

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, probably same as other truck drivers. They honk the horn and flash their light, but never look or break. They believe signals make them the king of the road and everyone jump away.

I see crashes in my country as well but maybe ones in a blue moon but in Thailand is a daily story.

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They are referred to as tour buses. I’m on one from bkk to Sakhon right now!  Hope I won’t be on the news. 

Edited by AustinRacing

8 hours ago, gregk0543 said:

It has Tour written on the front window. Sombat Tour to be exact. Why wouldnt you think it is not a tour bus? In Thailand these are all called Tour buses.

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 22.08.16.png

Why? Because for some reason most regular bus services are called tour buses. It's another example of Thais using English words that they don't understand. The bus in the photo is a regular service that goes from A to B, unless it was hired in this case to be a tour bus. Which I doubt is the case. It doesn't 'tour'.

Putting Tour Bus on the front doesn't make it a tour bus, in the same way that putting VIP on the front doesn't mean it is for VIPs. VIPs do not take the bus.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

6 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

They are referred to as tour buses. I’m on one from bkk to Sakhon right now!  Hope I won’t be on the news. 

They might be referred to as tour buses, but they are not on tour. See my post above. Stay safe.