Malaysian Polygamists Getting Married in Thailand

4 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Not sure I understand why Malaysian Muslim men  have to come to Thailand to have a polygamous marriage.

Does this mean that Muslim Malaysia doesn't allow polygamy? If so, a hangover from British colonialism?

Yes, exactly that. No polygamous marriages are allowed in Malaysia after 1 March 1982, so nothing to do with the colonial era. But it gets confusing because Shariah law does permit polygamy, so I guess these couples come over here in order to circumvent Malaysian federal laws.

18 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Yes, exactly that. No polygamous marriages are allowed in Malaysia after 1 March 1982, so nothing to do with the colonial era. But it gets confusing because Shariah law does permit polygamy, so I guess these couples come over here in order to circumvent Malaysian federal laws.

Don't Thai laws prohibit polygamy?

This news article confuses me, even though I live in Narathiwat, apparently the marriage hotspot for Malaysians, myself.

3 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

No, you lack reading comprehension. We were married in a village ceremony and the marriage was registered months later at the Amphur's office. We had no marriage ceremony at the Amphur, we only registered the marriage and received the marriage certificate. 

My post was directed to Mason45's post in which he wrote (quoted with grammatical errors) "A woman having a Buddhist marriage can't change her name to her husbands family name. If the marriage take place in an amphur office such as mine did then the woman can change her name".

There's no wedding ceremony at the district office (amphur). They only register the marriage. Actually there's no such thing as a Buddhist wedding either. Is a traditional Thai ceremony where the families of man and woman perform. Some might get monks to chant some prayers, but had nothing to actually do with the wedding ceremony.

Sure, some district office might perform some "ceremony" which is meaningless and not part of the actual ceremony. It's a simple official paper signing.

1 hour ago, MarcelV said:

Don't Thai laws prohibit polygamy?

This news article confuses me, even though I live in Narathiwat, apparently the marriage hotspot for Malaysians, myself.

Yes it confuses me as well. Thai law does prohibit polygamy and the 2nd paragraph in the O/P is somewhat vague isn't it.

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Deputy president of the provincial council, Abdul Aziz Mamat, however, had emphasized that arranging a marriage in southern Thailand isn’t a straightforward task. Various requirements, including background checks of the couple, need to be fulfilled. Mr. Aziz refrained from explaining why Narathiwat is such a hotspot for Malaysians who choose polygamy, a marital practice permitted in Islam.