Thai women lose over 1 million baht in lottery ticket scam

snoop1130

lottery-scam.jpg

Two women from Phichit province are grappling with severe financial distress after falling victim to a scam involving the purchase of lottery tickets at a discounted price of 7,500 baht per book. They never received the tickets, resulting in a total loss exceeding 1 million baht. Despite filing a police report, no progress has been made in the investigation.

Molchanok, a 43 year old woman, and her 66 year old mother, Saiyan, both residents of Bang Mun Nak district, Phichit, were approached by a woman referred to as Bee from Sak Lek district, Phichit. Bee convinced them to buy government lottery tickets for resale, promising a reduced price of 7,500 baht (US$200) per book.

Saiyan ended up losing over 800,000 baht (US$21,800), while Molchanok lost more than 460,000 baht (US$12,500), making their combined loss exceed 1 million baht (US$27,200).

Saiyan reported the case to Bang Mun Nak police station in May but has seen no progress.

The police have not summoned her for questioning, nor have they made any effort to apprehend Bee. Attempts to contact the investigating officer have also been unsuccessful, leaving Molchanok and her mother increasingly worried, reported KhaoSod.

Molchanok expressed her frustration with the handling of the case by the Bang Mun Nak police, particularly the investigating officer who recorded their complaint but has not advanced the investigation.

“We are in serious trouble because we’ve been scammed, and the police haven’t done anything. We borrowed money to invest, and now we have no one to turn to.”

Molchanok appealed to Police Major General Thadet Klomklieng, Commander of the Phichit Provincial Police, to take action on their case. She emphasised their urgent need for help, as the situation has left them with no financial support.

By Bright Choomanee

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-06-19

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

40 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Molchanok, a 43 year old woman, and her 66 year old mother, Saiyan, both residents of Bang Mun Nak district, Phichit, were approached by a woman referred to as Bee from Sak Lek district, Phichit. Bee convinced them to buy government lottery tickets for resale, promising a reduced price of 7,500 baht (US$200) per book.

Saiyan ended up losing over 800,000 baht (US$21,800), while Molchanok lost more than 460,000 baht (US$12,500), making their combined loss exceed 1 million baht (US$27,200).

Sometimes I understand why police do nothing. They were approached, but paid in advance without seeing nor getting the lotteries???? Really??? How long can greed grow to finance stupidity.

• Thumbs Up 1

My step daughter has been given the Khyber Pass by all her family and friends all because she's bitten them for money to play the lottery. I'm probably one of the lucky ones as she owed me 85,000 baht for back rent. I even gave her a 50 % reduction, she never payed anything so I kicked her out. Others have claimed that she owes them a lot more than I've lost.

• Sad 2
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Having had numerous maids and workmen in my house over the years I've encountered first hand the true extent of stupidity of some people...  I mean fundamentally stupid...  (can't unlock a double locked door, doesn't know how to put on and take off a seatbelt etc... things that have truly shocked me)....

Stupid may be an unfair word, but I mean it in the perspective that some people just really have no idea at all.

It is these people who need protecting, it is the job of the police to protect them. Just because they are 'below' the perceived status of the Policemen is no excuse not to concern themselves their plight. 

Scamming is rife in Thailand... (its rife everywhere these days) but in Thailand its just 'all around us' which should have made the victims more cautious, however, we go back to the above comment about being 'fundamentally stupid'...    

... meanwhile the Police are fundamentally lazy and need the 'fire put up em' to do something to help out the people they are employed to be protecting.

Another possibility to this: The BiB did follow up, recovered the money and kept it - I wouldn't put that past the BiB here, either !!!.... 

I totally agree with you! My post was more to be seen with focus on the incredible stupidity, and therefore the lame comment about understanding. However, I do think you understood what I meant. 😉 
Of course it´s the police job to help in these cases, and they should do it without any media coverage needed.

I have also seen my fair share of utter stupidity. Still It´s incredible how stupid people can be, without risking to be locked up only for that. 

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Where money & women are concerned, even the intellectuals with extraordinary IQ's fail!

So, concerning these ordinary folks, its not a very big surprise.

Accusing them of utter stupidity and been surprised beyond belief, is in itself stupidity IMHO 

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Greed.. what more can one say.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

The force is not strong in this family

They have Caveman mentality .........rapid emotional reactions to cues before your rational mind can think.

so unknown person passed by, makes some promises, ask money upfront ....

how did they make the 1 million in the first place

they speak about 7500 baht a book... wth does that even mean ? 

7500 baht for 100 tickets?  

so they bought 133 , paid in advance ?

what is the normal price?