Any Photos Please

joeuk1

Tilapia, after the pond has been dug, how long do you leave it to bake before putting water in?

Hi Saxy

Normaly I dig my ponds just before the rain-season, let the pond rest for some month until there is grass on the slopes, if you put fish in your pond when it is new, then a heavy rain can kill many of your fish, because of the fresh soil running back into the pond and make the water muddy, and decrease the oxygen level dramaticly.

Regards

We have a nice Thread going here :D .

Many people like myself enjoy living beside water , this is becoming a good thread to learn how fish are kept and ponds are made in Thailand good education .I will be looking to stock our main lake with big fish for my own enjoyment and fishing a half a dozen of those 10 kilo catfish and collection of nice size other fish will give great sport .

Happy days .

JB

Just a black and white of probably the first english dug pond in thailand, sad thing was about 4 months after it was filled we had to drink the water :o Nignoy

post-11182-1205093593_thumb.jpg

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

haveing read the postings, something ringing bells for me is good old english dew ponds, its a long time since reading up on this but seem to remember them being lined with cow dung and straw, even on top of the chalk downs, so totaly porous sub soil. worth a concideration maybe.????

I had a pond dug on my farm of 7 rai where I grow agarwood and teak trees, about 750 of each. The saplings need some help through the dry season, especially the agarwood hence the pond to provide water for a drip irrigation system.

My question is regarding what I can do with the pond to keep the water in good condition and what sort of fish I might be able to keep ? The pond is 20 x 5 metres and 10 metres deep. The water level is expected to drop considerably through the dry season.

Would like to have some nice plants and to be able to pull out a nice tasting fish occasionally.

PS. cost 43,000Bt to dig the pond.

are you sure you mean 10meters deep? a surface area of 20x5 is rather small. methinks confusion.

• 4 weeks later...

I am hoping to see more of your pond pictures, many nice ponds here abouts. The first picture is from a little less year and a half ago and the second is from a little more than two years ago.

Ozzydom, do you know what caused your fish kill? Lack of qxygen? and is that vetiver growing along side of your ponds?

post-16277-1207901384_thumb.jpg

post-16277-1207901544_thumb.jpg

Edited by allcladrad

allcladrad, yes mate, I planted ya fat (vevitar) ,guinea grass and Ruzzi in the areas where erosion could be a problem.

The kill was cyanide, have upgraded security ,night lights and a local stays nights in the new casa I built in the middle of the ponds and no further problems to date ,(touch wood).

I have had severe poaching problems, but so far none of that.

Of the three gresses which do you think does a better job. I have only used the vetiver and in the beginning it worked well but, since I planted on steep banks, cutting to was an ordeal. I am using a kind of legume now, but would like a grass also.

I have had severe poaching problems, but so far none of that.

Of the three gresses which do you think does a better job. I have only used the vetiver and in the beginning it worked well but, since I planted on steep banks, cutting to was an ordeal. I am using a kind of legume now, but would like a grass also.

Guinea Grass is very good ,it is a close relative of Lemon Grass and has a very similar growth habit except that unlike Lemon ,stock love it.

It is a perrenial and you can just slice the top off 4 inches above ground and within weeks you have a lush top again. If you have a cow it is great because it gives you green feed when most other grasses are dried off. With the Ya Fat I chop it down every year and put a fire through it ,,this really invigorates it .

post-33898-1185786041.jpgpost-33898-1185786049.jpg post-33898-1185786063_thumb.jpg

post-33898-1185787279_thumb.jpgpost-33898-1185787290_thumb.jpg

post-33898-1185788019_thumb.jpgpost-33898-1185787987_thumb.jpg

Hi !

Ponds refeel only rain water ,no have any oxygenate.

Farm is 2,5 km away my house just midlle of the village rice feelds.

All the basic information I got here in this THAI VISA forum so THANKS VERY MUCH FOLKS :o

Hello...

One can't help notice the clear looking water in your photo. Is that just an illusion or is the water really that clear, and if so, what have you done to make that water clear compared to most of the other ponds I've seen that are quite murky looking?

Thanks

Jim [email protected]

post-33898-1185786041.jpgpost-33898-1185786049.jpg post-33898-1185786063_thumb.jpg

post-33898-1185787279_thumb.jpgpost-33898-1185787290_thumb.jpg

post-33898-1185788019_thumb.jpgpost-33898-1185787987_thumb.jpg

Hi !

Ponds refeel only rain water ,no have any oxygenate.

Farm is 2,5 km away my house just midlle of the village rice feelds.

All the basic information I got here in this THAI VISA forum so THANKS VERY MUCH FOLKS :o

Hello...

One can't help notice the clear looking water in your photo. Is that just an illusion or is the water really that clear, and if so, what have you done to make that water clear compared to most of the other ponds I've seen that are quite murky looking?

Thanks

Jim [email protected]

I belived it`s just illusion.

Thais said me it takes about 6 years that new bonds water comes clear.For my bonds I just sometimes add liten lime.

• 3 weeks later...

A few ques about ponds that don't hold water. We've got a deep pond on our land, but it's drains because of the sandy soil. From what I've been reading there are 3 solutions:

- Concrete, which is expensive

- Pond liners, which seem a bit expensive.

- Clay lining, as shown from pics on other pages.

I've asked around about clay lining and the locals haven't heard of it. They seem very skeptical. Eventually I'd like to have fish for personal consumption, so holding water would be good.

Does anybody have more info on the effectiveness of the clay lining?

A few ques about ponds that don't hold water. We've got a deep pond on our land, but it's drains because of the sandy soil. From what I've been reading there are 3 solutions:

I've asked around about clay lining and the locals haven't heard of it. They seem very skeptical. Eventually I'd like to have fish for personal consumption, so holding water would be good.

Smithson - when we bought our place 6 of the 7 earthen ponds would not hold water and some were so bad they'd drain in a day because the soil is mostly sand. We put "din nieo" in them and have been raising fish for the last 2+ years. We still have some seepage that's mostly evident in the dry season but it's not unbearable.

Suggest you ask the local paddy farmer's where you can get some din nieo (clay) and give it a try. Recommend minimum of 20cm on sides and bottom of pond. If you can afford thicker...go for it. We will occasionaly have crabs or eels burrowing through the clay and causing hel_l!. I recall paying between B600-900 per 10 wheel truck. about 11 m3.

rgds

I concur with Somtham, check with your local excavator crew ,they usually have periods of excavating top soil then sand then clay mix ,put your order in and they will fix you up .

As somtham says ,deeper the better ,do it once and do it right saves a lot of heartache later.

If you can even go to 50-75cm all the better and batter your sides to 3 or 4 -1 to help prevent erosion.

If the pond is big enough they can tip a ramp and get a tractor down in the pond to spread,level and batter.

Suggest you ask the local paddy farmer's where you can get some din nieo (clay) and give it a try. Recommend minimum of 20cm on sides and bottom of pond. If you can afford thicker...go for it. We will occasionaly have crabs or eels burrowing through the clay and causing hel_l!. I recall paying between B600-900 per 10 wheel truck. about 11 m3.

rgds

Sounds good, I saw trucks the other day, B700 a load, but it was from the same area so I doubt it was 'sticky' enough. As it's dry season all ponds in the area are very low and I've noticed they're all very deep, including ours. It would make sense make the pond wider and use the extra soil to fill the pond a bit so it's not so deep. Does this sound right?

Just to reinforce, the clay should be 60 to 70cm, bottom and sides, and COMPACTED as much as possible.

When considering depth it is a good idea to have a minimum water level of 1 meter, lower, could result in fish kills.

Any tips for compacting? Why does less than 1m result in fish kills, I've seen catfish grown in concrete rings.

Try to get the vehicle that will be spreading the clay to compact it by driving over as much of the surface as possible. The heavier the vehicle the better and the more he drives over the clay the better. I found that I had several air gaps that went through the banks. Compacting might have prevented those as well as preventing some erosion.

The one meter minimum depth was suggested to me by the Thai fisheries guy I deal with. His concern was that during a dry season if water levels dropped below that level there would not be enough oxygen to support the fish population. He suggested at least 2 meters and that would allow for a 1 meter drop. I have experienced 1 meter drops in each of the 3 years I have had my pond. High water temperature might be another factor.

If you have aeration or a fresh water supply you could probably get away with less depth.

I have seen farmers dig live catfish out of rice paddys that have been dry for 5 months. They are tough fish and if that is want you want to stock, water quaility is not nearly as much of an issue.

I have seen farmers dig live catfish out of rice paddys that have been dry for 5 months. They are tough fish and if that is want you want to stock, water quaility is not nearly as much of an issue.

No wonder they taste so muddy! Thanks for the info, the pond will not be for business, just nice to have some water on the property and a few fish for ourselves.

• 5 months later...

There are a lot of topics about aquaculture here.

Not sure where to post this, so here goes!

What should you pay locals for creating 4 ponds 50m x 20m

1.2 to 2.5 m in depth and a V-shape that allows rapid and complete drainage.

Well compacted,

gd

Smithson,

I thought I would show you my pond, photo attached. It is reinforced concrete sided (about 250mm thick) I have not done the base as yet. Dimensional it is 125metres in perimeter and is 2.5 metres deep. It was built in 2002 for around 100,000 baht, included the 35,000 baht for the macro. As others have stated the water level goes down in the dry to about 1 metre deep and as shown in this picture (Sept 08) is about 2 metres deep in the wet. The main reason this was concreted is I intend to build a house in the middle of the U shape and the pond is close (10m) to the boundary of the block, starting whenever something positive happens to the AUD/Baht exchange rate.

post-56811-1223866482_thumb.jpg

Isaanaussie

Isaan, nice pond. I dare say you'd be paying a bit more than that these days - especially if you were bringing the money from Oz.

We've decided on doing a much smaller pond, something a bit more ornamental. I've found a source for the liner, a roll of 2.2m x .25mm x 50m is B5,700 or a single meter costs B160. We will put a ring beam around the top for the liner to sit on and then have stones/bricks on top of the liner to hold everything together.

Isaan, nice pond. I dare say you'd be paying a bit more than that these days - especially if you were bringing the money from Oz.

We've decided on doing a much smaller pond, something a bit more ornamental. I've found a source for the liner, a roll of 2.2m x .25mm x 50m is B5,700 or a single meter costs B160. We will put a ring beam around the top for the liner to sit on and then have stones/bricks on top of the liner to hold everything together.

Smithson,

Of course I didnt mention the cost of the concrete mixer etc.. or the labour.. more interested in the picture. Like you I have a lot of finishing to do, fountains and bridges yardy yar... Yes, you are right it will cost a lot more to finish.. and currently FOREX is a major stumbling block.. TIT

I am interested in the plastic sheeting though, I am looking for a water barrier for under the floor in the pig sty. You may have noticed the columns in the background. That sounds like it may be the go.

Can you supply details. Thanks in advance.

Isaanaussie

I took this from my hammock this afternoon, it doesn't give a olear pioture of the pond though.We have red and black pla nin in it. It's wonderful to lie next to it watching the ripples when the cool winds have started to blow, reflecting dancing sunlight on a jackfruit tree's leaves next to the water.

One thing I've noticed different from last year when we only had 'natural' fish in it. When I turned off the lights last year the fish would start jumping immediately, I presume catching insects, but the pla nin this year don't seem interested, I wondered if it's because I'd just fed them fishmeal but somehow I doubt that's the reason.

post-11997-1223890200_thumb.jpg

This pond is near my father in-laws place, way op north-west.

The the water inlet and outlet are made of concrete.

The water comes from the mountainsides into the pond and continues out through small canals to rice fields and lining all streets in the village with clear running water.

Location: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=19.63993,98...p;t=h&hl=en

Some ponds on our land

Spiny,

What can anyone say, simply beautiful... I have some large ones to build on 12 rai currently rice.. I will keep yours in mind although looks for my ponds will not be as important. Again they look great

Isaanaussie

Yes, lovely pics. Those with smaller ponds, pls don't feel intimidated, we'd love to see some pics as well.

Regarding the liner, I'll let you know when I find out more details, probably over the weekend.

Here's ours

Apart from the rottweiler, we have pla duk, Nin and some beautiful koi, for my viewing pleasure.

Its about 40m x 40m so about a rai in size, dry season 2.5 metres wet season 3.5 metres.

Last year stocked it with many small nin, hoping to sell them sometime soon, We have Pla Chon in there also, but I have been unable to catch them , they are really big, and seem to keep the number of Nin under control.

post-16702-1223990408_thumb.jpg

post-16702-1223990631_thumb.jpg

post-16702-1223990944_thumb.jpg

Edited by Monkeypants