Dog Attacks Whilst Biking.

Richb2004v2

I went out on my mountain bike the other day, with the intention of reaching a hill/ small mountain that I can see in the distance from my house. I had no idea how to reach it so just peddled in the general direction. As I got very near the hill I rounded a corner on a very small tarmaced track to be confronted by a group of about six dogs 50 feet in the distance. All the dogs were the same breed and looked fairly formidable. I stopped my bike and had a bit of a stare down assessment. The dogs were barking and looked like they were contemplating a rush. My first thoughts were to give the rest of my outing a miss, but I really wanted to at least try to reach the hill, so decided to proceed. I couldn’t find any stones so hurled a couple of sticks in the direction of the dogs. This seemed to do the trick and cleared them off the track. I put another stick in my right throwing hand and set off. As I got level with where they had disappeared a couple of them rushed out. In the shock I hit my brake; unfortunately it was my front brake. I went over the handlebars and hit the road. This must have given the rest of the dogs a confidence boost as they all ran out barking. There was actually about a dozen or more in total. Luckily I managed to get back on the bike quickly and made good with a throw of the stick. In the temporary reprieve I peddled like hel_l away and up the hel_l.

I was really annoyed that someone could have so many obviously unfriendly dogs running free and able to effectively block the road. I don’t know what the actual chances of the dogs attacking me might be but they got quite close. The house was in a fairly isolated location near the woods and with quite a big garden, but I don’t see that as enough reason.

Riding my bike recently I have encountered this problem several times, but not with so many dogs in one small road.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh they can be such a disaster , how harder you peddle or give gas , the harder they run!

But when I step of I try to throw a rock or something does the trick , I also look in their eyes .

Even infront of my house , the neighbours dogs (5) run everybody and everything . Sometimes I think people who do cross think they are ours .......they aren't and do not run at my family , but it is a pain in the ass indeed .

And scary also , most of the time they group near temples .

I was thinking about a BB gun, which would be easy to carry. I don't know if a BB gun fires very far or how powerful. I mean I don't want to injure them or anything. The problem with that is that someone might thing I had a real gun, or that I was trying to shoot the dogs. In other countries it might be a good idea, but here I might end up getting shot.

Riding my bike recently I have encountered this problem several times, but not with so many dogs in one small road.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Hi,

I recently walked from Aikchol Hospital, in Chon Buri, near where I live, to a bar , no more than 500 yards along the road.I encountered menacing dogs. It only takes one to bark and the others follow suit.

i was quite alarmed , as they moved in on me slowly. However, a Thai lady ordered them away from me, much to my relief.

Mike

It never ceases to amaze me how little people know about dogs.

They are a non-nomadic pack animal, in remote locations they are on the verge of becoming feral..... a lone stranger entering their territory will always be treated the same way, lots of gesturing accompanied with loud barking, they are sussing you out as an unknown quantity, throwing rocks or sticks may alleviate the situation temporarily but if you take that action once, you will have to do it every time.

Hit the brakes and stare out the leader of the pack, you will normally be considerably bigger than him, so he will not make the first aggressive move, if you manage to out-stare him and pass him without violent action, the pack will remember and let you pass without incident the next time..... you are just a big dog passing through.

If you don't manage to out-stare him (i.e. more than twelve seconds and he hasn't looked away) retreat from whence you came and never go back.

Happened to me awhile back. I was riding my mountain bike a long a river here in the Phetchabun district (a daily ride i've done everyday for months). A dog from no where came up and bit my leg. It was a pretty good sized bite. I stopped at a local restaurant and the lady helped me clean the wound and taped it. I then went home and got on my motorbike and went to the local clinic. They gave me about 3 shots and cleaned the wound with antiseptic and cotton swabs. Then they said to come back every day to clean it and get new dressings everyday. They said they didn't want to stitch the wound. So every day I went there and they cleaned it and new dressing was put on for 2 weeks. Total cost was about 1500 baht. I also found out, the owner of the dog was supposed to pay. So I told my livein to go there. She said, can not now. You have to go to the police the same day it happened and the police will collect the money, or go with you to get the money. But, you have to go there the day it happened. A day late and a dollar short.

We did go back and tell the owner of the dog. I offered to buy the dog so I could put it away. But, I didn't have to. I never seen the dog again.

Edited by Larryst

Staring them down: well, it works when you are convinced of your superiority. If you are feeble-minded, the dogs will probably sense it and attack.

Another piece of advice if you have no stones: just pretend to pick some up. That has always worked with me.

Also learn the Thai (or local) expression of 'out' or 'down', whatever locals use to tell a dog to back off and shout it at them.

..if you manage to out-stare him and pass him without violent action, the pack will remember and let you pass without incident the next time..... you are just a big dog passing through.

Yes, you have to think like a dog to understand. The leader of the pack will be expecting to protect "his" land and his position within the pack, so that is the one to hit with a stick. A BB gun is a human solution and might make you feel safe but a dog will react to a stick more quickly as that is the solution Thais will use. Personally I would take action with an agressive barking dog within the 12 seconds, close the gap with stick in hand and growl at the dog. Make it clear that you are the boss now and will bite the dog. I've used this with Bangkok soi dogs chained to food carts they are protecting that I wanted to move as well as local village dogs that were meeting me for the first time, I've not had to hit one with a stick yet the threat is enough.

I did punch one dog a few weeks ago to break up a fight but that just earnt respect as that dog understands I can hurt it even though he is the biggest dog in the village.

I was reading about another "solution" over the weekend, fresh chillis ground into a paste and soaked in rubbing alcohol to make an in the face spray, not sure I would like to use it in the wind but might be a solution for you.

If you don't want to play stick with the dogs maybe try some meat scraps and when they bark talk nicely to them, "...here boy..... come on.... etc etc...." But that way they come to you and can still turn to attack. Personally outside the village I would stick to creating fear in the dogs mind - takes away them being able to change their mind, so you can focus on one tactic not get it wrong twice.

HTH.

Also learn the Thai (or local) expression of 'out' or 'down', whatever locals use to tell a dog to back off and shout it at them.

You may find this surprising, dogs don't speak Thai, neither do they speak English.

If the dog in question has not been raised and trained by you the only word that it will usually recognise is its name, most times you won't know that.

Any short sharp word uttered with an inference of command will work in most situations.

For the bike rider...... when the dog came at you, did you just carry on peddling, or did you flail at it with one leg? (I'm guessing the latter)

If you just carry on going out of it's territory most dogs are just noise makers, offering one a tasty limb is usually a sure fire way of getting bitten. (please take note of the use of the words most and usually, the alternative word in all other situations being unlucky)

lol

Shame on me, it's the English teacher in me, but the title is fascinating: "Dog Attacks Whilst Biking..." Any dog that can ride a bicycle and attack at the same whilst, perhaps whilst whistling as well, is one clever dog.....

I carry one of those collapsable aluminum billy clubs and just whip it out and threaten any dogs that chase me and they back off big time. Had to do the same thing with a couple of humans who threatened me with a beer bottle one time and it worked on them too. :o

Shame on me, it's the English teacher in me, but the title is fascinating: "Dog Attacks Whilst Biking..." Any dog that can ride a bicycle and attack at the same time, perhaps whilst whistling as well, is one clever dog.....

post-15958-1185762416_thumb.jpg

Canine Sam Lhor Mafia?

(if it was Russian as well, that could be the ultimate TV thread :o )

It never ceases to amaze me how little people know about dogs.

They are a non-nomadic pack animal, in remote locations they are on the verge of becoming feral..... a lone stranger entering their territory will always be treated the same way, lots of gesturing accompanied with loud barking, they are sussing you out as an unknown quantity, throwing rocks or sticks may alleviate the situation temporarily but if you take that action once, you will have to do it every time.

Hit the brakes and stare out the leader of the pack, you will normally be considerably bigger than him, so he will not make the first aggressive move, if you manage to out-stare him and pass him without violent action, the pack will remember and let you pass without incident the next time..... you are just a big dog passing through.

If you don't manage to out-stare him (i.e. more than twelve seconds and he hasn't looked away) retreat from whence you came and never go back.

You sure it's 12 seconds.....not 13....or perhaps 11.......... :o

I get a kick out of the guys who think there Steve Irwin or something. They have this deep understanding of animal psychology. Sure staring a dog down might work 10 times in a row, and then it might fail. Rock in hand, stick in hand, works fantastically, and even with a make believe rock. But when you are on a bike, or a motorcycle, you can’t do any of these. Usually dogs attack with almost no warning because you surprise them or you enter there zone without their permission.

A friend of mine, a nice farang girl who is working here as a secretary decided she needed a motorbike. And while she was learning motorcycle skills in a quiet soi near her home. She was startled by an agressive pack of dogs, it ended up with her crashing the bike and now she has a broken arm and a bigger fear of dogs and motorcycles. I don’t think she had much of a chance for a staring contest.

I like the collapsible aluminum stick the other poster was talking about, I think I will get on mounted on my bike. You could never get close enough to hit a dog, but the sight of it would probably a perfect deterrent.

I was thinking about a BB gun, which would be easy to carry. I don't know if a BB gun fires very far or how powerful. I mean I don't want to injure them or anything. The problem with that is that someone might thing I had a real gun, or that I was trying to shoot the dogs. In other countries it might be a good idea, but here I might end up getting shot.

you cannot ride a bike unarmed without going over the bars, imagine the potential for disaster if you tried it armed. you wouldn't get shot, you'd shoot yourself.

pepper spray spray is very effective on an animal with a docs olfactory ability. they wont forget.

Having just seen "Gladiator" on UBC for the fifteenth time this year, I have to propose the idea of whirling blades mounted on the axles of your bicycle. Bows and spears / javelins as an added deterrent are good too. :o

Edited by kmart

you cannot ride a bike unarmed without going over the bars, imagine the potential for disaster if you tried it armed. you wouldn't get shot, you'd shoot yourself.

pepper spray spray is very effective on an animal with a docs olfactory ability. they wont forget.

I was holding the stick in my throwing arm, which is my left. I had my right on the bars, which is the front brake.

There is always the chance I'd still end up shooting myself though. :o

Wife ans i used to ride with the BKK Bike Hash for years and had many near escapes.

Memorable was the time that we got chased by 2 rottwielers and a doberman who we saw in the distance and tried to shoot past their property before they could come out of it. Reckon that there were 4 - 6 of us riding together and the biggest worry when we accelerated was not colliding. They chased us for a while - reckon the doberman was probably running just ahead of the rottweilers barking "come on lads, we've got 'em". We did escape but it was close - an amazing addrelin rush i could do without.

A freind of mine on a Hash as we were entering Hua Hin saw a very big dog just ahead of the two of us, turning back towards us with a vengeance and at speed having just failed to catch our buddies in front. My mate, slowed down, reached down for his telescopic pump (one of the stubby types), let the dog start catching us and as it was up to his back wheel, he swung down and with the pump extending, whacked on its nose, and it stopped and backed right off. My mate was incredibly cool about it and said he done that several times before.

The worst i've had was when the wife and i were reccing a ride up in khao yai. We thought this little trail must pass through two hills to the next valley but it went up to a private farm, just then out sprinted 3 little terrier type dogs, the wife was behind me, she turned quickly and was off back down the trail (luckily it was a slight down hill), i turned and headed back but couldn't get much speed up as the first of the 3 caught up. I ended up doing the leg kicking out thingy which worked as it kept them back as i gained speed to get away.

If i see them i will always dismount and stock up with stones. Problem is like all 3 incidents above, when they come out of no where. 99% of the times they are bluffing and will back down / run away barking, but occasionally (like the rotts/ doberman) they ain't! Frankly it was one of the reasons we gave up riding.

Having just seen "Gladiator" on UBC for the fifteenth time this year, I have to propose the idea of whirling blades mounted on the axles of your bicycle. Bows and spears / javelins as an added deterrent are good too. :D

When I started to read this I was halfway through a Pork BBQ on a stick . I choked on it! BRILL!

(Not the stick, or I think not)

:o

In all likelihood the replies are right; in that it is all bluff and the Klingon death stare might work. However, when you’re on your own in the middle of nowhere and there are getting on for a dozen dogs its best not to take the chance. I would hate to end up on my back with several dogs biting down thinking ‘###### it! Those Thai Visa bods said the stare down was enough!!’ :o

I've never had them attack from the front. They always let me pass and then come from the rear. Carry a stick and practise you back handed swing. There's nothing as satisfying as the sound of bamboo on dog muzzle. I used to try and out run them but now enjoy the challenge.

Have had the same problems with dogs/bikes here, BB guns are useless, the dogs will fall around laughing it won't even ruffle their mangy fur!. Catapult is more effective, but honestly, the best approach I have found is to slam on the brakes, jump off the bike and make as much of a noise as possible whilst running towards them, they look extremely shocked and most cases run like hel_l away from you - the locals get a good laugh too - never had 12 dogs at me though, it certainly works against 5  or 6, and the best thing is, when you go back - THEY DON'T FORGET - so you generally don't need to repeat the show again.

The other thing to do is return home, get in your 4X4, go back and squash em, this works a treat too, and as before, you don't need to do it twice.

The last thing you want is a bite of course, what with rabies etc.

Where I live the dogs are more aggressive toward the "stick" people. Even our dogs remember the people who have threatened them and seem to hate them with a passion. Barking might be scary for some but isn't necessarily aggression as such. I ride a lot but have never had a real problem. My wife thinks I'm crazy but that is her own fears talking.

Then again in remote areas the dogs that do bite people or livestock don't last long. They end up in the pot so to speak. Dogs are meant to bark and guard the owners possessions. I like dogs and enjoy the game and reading their intentions. Maybe by not showing fear or aggression they get bored and just let me go. Or maybe I'm just lucky.

The thing is , the dogs smell your thoughts !

It is even a proven fact that dogs need a master , I do know a famous dog trainer who is capable

of mastering every dog you can think of . First when they are stubborn he punishes them pretty aggressively ,

its ok though , after a while the never listening dog is sitting down and walking in the line just how hid command comes!

So this biking problem , when biking , no matter what show no fear , really it is , if needed be aggressive like other posters

pointed out 99% will back of. But for some people easier said then done I can imagine .

Anyway their should be wonderful biking in Thailand , but these bastards who are running the bikers all the time make it

not pleasurable anymore , maybe someone should tell the tourism authority of Thailand about this , I mean there is big

potential in it :o

All,

Having been attacked a million times by dogs while I was walking or riding a motobike, I feel I am qualified to speak on this. Sometimes the Thais will just stand back while the dogs attack like it is some sporting event. Very few times have the Thais called off the dogs. The dogs are protecting their terf and some have had rocks thrown at them while others have not. There are some that will bark while others will bite if they can.

If ridding a bike you can lift your legs and hopfully get away.

If you are walking and attacked then bend down and find or act like you are picking up a rock. Even if you are on solid pavement act like you are picking up a rock. This might hold them off if they have had rocks thrown at them. If not they will keep comming and do their job. I have hit dogs with rocks and had mixed results. Some dogs are puzzled when hit and sometimes keep comming. Only when you hurt them will they connect the throwing with the actual hit on the doggy body. A dog that has been hurt will know and anytime a motion of throwing is made he will retreat if even for a moment. If he comes back then keep pumping that arm in a fake throwing mode. I have been known to carry rocks in my pockets.

The Thais that have this problem carry a stick. This is what I recommend if you know you are venturing into DOG TERRITORY. A collapsible aluminum stick would be a good investment. Just unfold this contaption quickly and show the dog right away what you got. He probally thought you did not have a stick and suddenly you got this shinny stick. <deleted>. The dogs have been trained with sticks. They may bark but they have respect for THE STICK.

Any type gun(BB, pelet) I would not recommend as the Thais may look down on this. Spray would work but the dogs arent going to know untill they get real close. They have not been trained.

Bitten recently real good but wasnt too concerned about rabies because the dog was defending his turf. Just kept it clean etc. With rabbies out there the behavior of the animal should be looked at real close. If in doubt seek treatment for rabbies.

My favorite cure for a dog in the neighborhood that wants your ass and just will not stop time after time is: Feed him some good leftover food off your table. It is probally the best he ever had. It may take a few times for him to get to make the connection between you and the food. I have used this with great success. The dog is actually waiting for you to feed him. Makes you feel good also.

For an attack without any protection try not to show fear. Raise your arms like you are going to hit the dog. A yell of some sort might be in order. GOOD LUCK.

LLL

I'm so fed up with this damm stray dog issue. The only reason I'm responding now is because the usual powerful tv pro-dog, anti-human mafia hasn't yet descended upon this thread laying waste to all who interfere with the dogs' inalienable and irrevocable rights to happiness above all safety, health or mental welfare interests of lesser human beings.

I was a cycling enthusiast for 5 years in Phuket, biking 3-4 times/week, 40-60 kilometres each time. I've told my many stories of being attacked or threatened by dogs whilst cycling (one time a pack of more than 20, as I evidently disturbed their Sunday brunch at the garbage bins passing by). Apart from the danger, annoyance, or health issues of being bitten, I've told of the dangers of being distracted or crashing while riding at speed, both on a motorbike or bicycle. I bought special dog pepper spray abroad and kept it taped to my handlebars. Used it once. It worked. Before I had that, I had every manner of near-miss you can imagine with those mutts, including everything from intentional chasing to mere stupidity. Eventually, the annoyance was enough to make me give it up. However, I'm not afraid to admit that one time when attacked by a nasty big stray? (looked very well fed), I dismounted, picked up my expensive bike and brought down the toothed chain ring on the top of his neck, leaving a howling lasting souvenir I'm proud to have delivered.

The funny thing, is that I also had a chopper, that evidently had a particular pitch when the throttle was open at some level that absolutely made the dogs go crazy. One time a dog launched himself at me at full speed in a diagonally-aimed murder-suicide attempt late at night as I was passing by. He missed, and hit the exhaust pipe instead, and rolled down the hill howling with pain.

Mind you, I'm a dog lover and dog owner, but this stray dog problem is the scourge of Thailand, giving it the appearance and effect of a dumpy 3rd world backwater, and my only real serious complaint with this country...well, apart from the resident knee-jerk expat dog adulation society. The height of this lunacy was the example recently of a member who was struggling with a violent dog next door to him and he had children he was afraid for. He was thinking of putting the dog down with poison. I suggested he just take care of business, and I know many Thais that do that when in a similar situation. They just don't talk about it. What did the dog-enslaved mafia say? Take a guess, then do a search on the threads.

Happened to me awhile back. I was riding my mountain bike a long a river here in the Phetchabun district (a daily ride i've done everyday for months). A dog from no where came up and bit my leg. It was a pretty good sized bite. I stopped at a local restaurant and the lady helped me clean the wound and taped it. I then went home and got on my motorbike and went to the local clinic. They gave me about 3 shots and cleaned the wound with antiseptic and cotton swabs. Then they said to come back every day to clean it and get new dressings everyday. They said they didn't want to stitch the wound. So every day I went there and they cleaned it and new dressing was put on for 2 weeks. Total cost was about 1500 baht. I also found out, the owner of the dog was supposed to pay. So I told my livein to go there. She said, can not now. You have to go to the police the same day it happened and the police will collect the money, or go with you to get the money. But, you have to go there the day it happened. A day late and a dollar short.

We did go back and tell the owner of the dog. I offered to buy the dog so I could put it away. But, I didn't have to. I never seen the dog again.

Sounds awful! You have my sympathy.

Cycling is a great form of exercise and I head off into the rice fields for this purpose. But the dogs are a problem because you are a moving target and cannot face them down.

If walking, I think I know how to deal with a dog, but on a bike you obvously want to keep moving and hope it doesn't come at you or that you can outrun it. It's pretty scary having one snapping at your ankles and the risk of coming off the bike is considerable.

There are no answers to this one except get an exercise bicycle... or perhaps wear shoes that'll protect you a bit.

Andrew Hicks

All,

Having been attacked a million times by dogs while I was walking or riding a motobike, I feel I am qualified to speak on this. Sometimes the Thais will just stand back while the dogs attack like it is some sporting event. Very few times have the Thais called off the dogs. The dogs are protecting their terf and some have had rocks thrown at them while others have not. There are some that will bark while others will bite if they can.

If ridding a bike you can lift your legs and hopfully get away.

If you are walking and attacked then bend down and find or act like you are picking up a rock. Even if you are on solid pavement act like you are picking up a rock. This might hold them off if they have had rocks thrown at them. If not they will keep comming and do their job. I have hit dogs with rocks and had mixed results. Some dogs are puzzled when hit and sometimes keep comming. Only when you hurt them will they connect the throwing with the actual hit on the doggy body. A dog that has been hurt will know and anytime a motion of throwing is made he will retreat if even for a moment. If he comes back then keep pumping that arm in a fake throwing mode. I have been known to carry rocks in my pockets.

The Thais that have this problem carry a stick. This is what I recommend if you know you are venturing into DOG TERRITORY. A collapsible aluminum stick would be a good investment. Just unfold this contaption quickly and show the dog right away what you got. He probally thought you did not have a stick and suddenly you got this shinny stick. <deleted>. The dogs have been trained with sticks. They may bark but they have respect for THE STICK.

Any type gun(BB, pelet) I would not recommend as the Thais may look down on this. Spray would work but the dogs arent going to know untill they get real close. They have not been trained.

Bitten recently real good but wasnt too concerned about rabies because the dog was defending his turf. Just kept it clean etc. With rabbies out there the behavior of the animal should be looked at real close. If in doubt seek treatment for rabbies.

My favorite cure for a dog in the neighborhood that wants your ass and just will not stop time after time is: Feed him some good leftover food off your table. It is probally the best he ever had. It may take a few times for him to get to make the connection between you and the food. I have used this with great success. The dog is actually waiting for you to feed him. Makes you feel good also.

For an attack without any protection try not to show fear. Raise your arms like you are going to hit the dog. A yell of some sort might be in order. GOOD LUCK.

LLL

'If riding a bike you should lift your legs and hopefully get away.' Really?

I find that when I do this my bike stops and then I'll get chomped.

Actually I hope it's the dog that'll lift its leg. It can't run very fast on three.

Three legs? Rings a bell.

Andrew