Dog Attacks Whilst Biking.

Richb2004v2

As I was reading your story, RickThai, I had the horrific vision of an athrocious episode I witnessed just outiside my house, I watched it in shock as I initially thought it was my cat, the poor victim, couldn't sleep for a while after that..

My cat had two litters in a year and all of the kittens disappeared in the space of two months since they were born, I was lucky I didn't see how they ended up, the place has vicious guard dogs everywhere. Fortunately my cat has survived. She lives outside and gets fed just enough, her quiet security guard job against snakes and geckoes needs to continue if she wants her treats..

Is it true that guard dogs here get regularly beaten to be kept aggressive against intruders? I have seen it done before..guess it works..whether it's right or wrong..

you should always carry a nasty cat in your bicycle basket and set it loose on these hellhounds when necessary, dogs are terrified of those kittyclaws....or you could get fake fingernails and try hissing....please report back with results....

:D5555!! My cat fought a nasty snake off my house once. She doesn't like to be on a bike though..

I once had two dogs (a German Shorthair Pointer and a Chesapeake Bay Retriever) that made a habit of catching, killing, and eating cats.

The Chessie (her name was Chessie) would run down the cat (our neigbor had dozens) at night without making a sound. She would then take it back to the kennel where she and the other dog (a large male over 100lbs) lived and the two of them would eat it.

I once saw the two of them attack a cat that foolishly wandered into our yard. The cat would jump up on a fence, the big GSP would jump and grab the cat in his mouth. He would then dash the cat on the ground with a quick shake of his head. The CBR would then grab the cat and the two of them would start playing tug-of-war.

I yelled "heel' and both dogs dropped the cat and came back to my side. The cat died a while later from its injuries.

So I'd be careful about setting a cat down in the midst of a pack of dogs (or even one vicious dog). When dogs play with cats, cats can be very aggressive, but a serious dog, or a dog that becomes used to killing cats, is a very different beast indeed.

RickThai

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thead, complex.

A whole rainbow of experiences and responses.

I've done every back road from Pattaya to Chanthaburi and back. All the little Wats and Sois and moobahns.

Many northern trips as well. My best day was 210 km from Chiang Mai to Den Chai.

I do not have a dog issue.

Dogs: they have radar. The dogs instinctively know I will go out of my way and kill them. This is a great deterrent.

I carry two doggie deals: bribes and death. They can take their pick.

Bribes: doggie biscuits, tossed in an "after the fact manner" and not in an aggro manner. These are small milk bones.

I do not get fazed by barkers. It is just a dog doing its job.

The dogs get used to the bribes and settle down the next time I pass.

Pepper spray (HALT! from Amazon,com) used by postal carriers works well.

I've have my share of dog bites, mai mee. No mas.

I used to be a newspaper boy and got bit repeatedly from ages 7-10. Then I adjusted and killed a few dogs.

Now they know, trust me.

This emanates out from your persona and dogs are not stupid. When they bark, ignore them, they are just doing their job.

Probably the biggest factor to consider: who is your riding partner?

If partner is scared of dogs, do not go. Make up an excuse. Find another. You cannot have some drama queen igniting every pooch from here to China

because he is a whinger.

I was riding with this lame Auzzie bloke. Scared of dogs and the dogs knew it and took full advantage. He was untrainable.

He could not leave well enough alone and fought with every dog along my route. I dropped that riding partner. He had the emotional mettle of a limp noodle.

Scared of everything and anything.

Good rider, zero brains.

The act of going for a weapon does work, 99% of the time.

The dogs that are serious do NOT bark and take off at a proper angle to intercept you.

Most dogs take off to let you escape. Note this the next time you are riding.

The quiet ones are the ones you will have to deal harshly with.

I had a persistent one late at night. I kept my cadence steady. The motion of going for my pepper spray did not deter.

I got my pepper spray down to my heel and cooed to the dog. He was 30cm away from my heel when I blasted his face.

His front suspension collapsed and his falling took out three other dogs. Think bowling.

No trouble since.

You have to show who is boss. Dogs do think about an afterlife.

Your job is to show this to them.

Best.

Wow, you are a tough guy. If a dog not immediatly realizes your mastery than you take your pepper spray. And for killing you have a ... machete?

wink.png

The idea with the bribes i like more :)

Edited by wantan