Dog Attacks Whilst Biking.

Richb2004v2

Usually aggressive Dog problems are Owner issues but this is Thailand and many dogs have no owners and they breed like rabbitslaugh.gif

Owners on T V who say they let their dogs "roam around the village alone" are stupid and irresponsible(falang?) no matter how timid they think their dog is. They could end up one day with a dead dog and/or an angry victim.

Its the Thai way, so i let my dogs roam free. There are at least 20 other dogs in the village that roam free too. Why would i be different. (besides the fact that i get them inside at the first sign of trouble). There is a nice big field with some trees 15 meters from my home and that is where they usually walk around a bit. They never wander out far and always within hearing distance of me. (im in the living room working just a few barks and im outside)

If my dog bites anyone i will take full responsibility. But most people know its extremely rare for dogs to bite anyone they rather run then bite unless you corner them. I know my dogs well and so do other people in the village. Sometimes some old lady is afraid of the dog and when i hear something i get the dog.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beg to differ with you, fully realizing that things are different in various parts of the country.

On Koh Kood, you will see very few dogs, and almost none running about. It's a wonderful enviroment and the locals fully approve of how it comes about.

A couple of times a year the military and police go about poisoning them if they are off someone's property, or if they act aggressively at the officials as they walk down the road.

It used to be that way on Koh Chang, too, until a woman from across the Pacific came here and set up a clinic - even though she is not a vet - and started protesting this practice. Twelve years later dogs run rampant on Koh Chang, attacks and bites are common, feral dogs come down out of the hills from time to time, numerous motorcycle accidents occur every month due to dogs running across the streets or chasing the bikes. They form packs and become even more aggressive. I myself have been attacked many times on Koh Chang while hiking or riding my bike. (I carry an asp, by the way, works wonders on a dog's nose, especially if you can strike the philtrum.)

Tourists have died on Koh Chang after hitting dogs while on motorbikes. In short, people, including children, are injured and maimed because the policy of killing all the strays was revoked at the constant nagging of an outsider.

I think the locals on Koh Kood have the right idea. I'll place the facial skin and muscle tissues of a 5 year old over a dog, anyday.

And yes, I have three dogs, love them like my kids and have had 'em for ten years. But then, I took the time to train them, but if I hadn't, I would keep the tied up or fenced in.

Accidents can happen that is for sure, chances that anything will happen to my dogs in this gated moo bahn are slim. The dogs never wander off further then say 150 meters in each direction. Mainly staying on the grass in the park in front of my home. But only for up to 30 minutes then i get them in again. As long as they are out i keep my ears open to hear if they cause trouble.

I dont see a problem as that is already a whole lot better as what most Thai owners do over here. I would never let my dogs out near a real road.. but in a gated community you cant drive fast.

My dogs are also not able to reproduce.

Edited by sbk

Beg to differ with you, fully realizing that things are different in various parts of the country.

On Koh Kood, you will see very few dogs, and almost none running about. It's a wonderful enviroment and the locals fully approve of how it comes about.

A couple of times a year the military and police go about poisoning them if they are off someone's property, or if they act aggressively at the officials as they walk down the road.

It used to be that way on Koh Chang, too, until a woman from across the Pacific came here and set up a clinic - even though she is not a vet - and started protesting this practice. Twelve years later dogs run rampant on Koh Chang, attacks and bites are common, feral dogs come down out of the hills from time to time, numerous motorcycle accidents occur every month due to dogs running across the streets or chasing the bikes. They form packs and become even more aggressive. I myself have been attacked many times on Koh Chang while hiking or riding my bike. (I carry an asp, by the way, works wonders on a dog's nose, especially if you can strike the philtrum.)

Tourists have died on Koh Chang after hitting dogs while on motorbikes. In short, people, including children, are injured and maimed because the policy of killing all the strays was revoked at the constant nagging of an outsider.

I think the locals on Koh Kood have the right idea. I'll place the facial skin and muscle tissues of a 5 year old over a dog, anyday.

And yes, I have three dogs, love them like my kids and have had 'em for ten years. But then, I took the time to train them, but if I hadn't, I would keep the tied up or fenced in.

Accidents can happen that is for sure, chances that anything will happen to my dogs in this gated moo bahn are slim. The dogs never wander off further then say 150 meters in each direction. Mainly staying on the grass in the park in front of my home. But only for up to 30 minutes then i get them in again. As long as they are out i keep my ears open to hear if they cause trouble.

I dont see a problem as that is already a whole lot better as what most Thai owners do over here. I would never let my dogs out near a real road.. but in a gated community you cant drive fast.

My dogs are also not able to reproduce.

No, no. Wasn't commenting on you as a responsible dog owner. I was commenting on your statement that "this is Thailand." If your dogs are not a nuisance, and your neighbors are not concerned, no sweat.

My dogs are adored by the neighbors, wouldn't hurt a fly, and come when they're called.

It's the aggresive ones I'm talking about.

Put 'em down.

Edited by sbk

I used to deliver mail and newspapers, so I have dog bites all over my body, but I still love the critters. But, I won't tolerate a nasty dog. It's dead meat if it even attempts to bite me or a friend. I've killed more than a few of them and I'm not afraid. Dogs truly can sense fear. When I know an area has nasty dogs I carry a green bamboo stick with two, long screws twisted in from opposing ends. It is a very nasty weapon that can kill a dog or human with one blow. The problem is getting close enough to hit an aggressive dog. Mostly they just run away,.

However, that doesn't help the unfortunate person out for a bicycle ride in the country. Dogs can get in the first bite before you can get off the bike. With a motorbike you can just speed up and get away. That's not always possible with a bicycle. Fortunately, very few dogs are really aggressive. Most are just protecting their own turf. I get barked at all the time when I'm walking and I just laugh at the dogs, or chase them for fun. I stop chasing when they get back on their own property.

Not knowing where bunta71 lives I can't offer any assistence with his problem, or I would settle it for him. Unfortunately, I'm now back in Canada where I can't be of any help. If it is still an issue when I get back next November I'll take care of it. I don't like nasty dogs and I hate their owners even more.

This is so infuriating, because of one womans naive sense of right and wrong an entire community is at risk. I hate people like this. There's right and there's wrong and then there's retarded.

Well, had to go and delete insults, flames, inflammatory troll posts and a few more.

I do not know what is wrong with you people that you cannot have a civil conversation but the next one to step over the line will be suspended.

I think most bike riders view this whole dog chasing you type of thing the wrong way…….(Glass half full mentality)

I have been snapped at by; dogs and geese, chased by water buffalo and struck at by a pissed off cobra.

I now view all these as having my own personal trainers. I now have different routes I ride depending on what type of training I’m doing……..Sprint, endurance, hill work or fast off road downhill. Note; I’ve not yet incorporated cobras into my planned training schedule…..Nor do I plan too.

Yes there’s nothing like a ‘pack’ of personal hairy trainers to improve your sprint time over the quarter mile, or get you out of the saddle and makes you grind your way up a hill that feels like the north face of K2.

I think most bike riders view this whole dog chasing you type of thing the wrong way…….(Glass half full mentality)

I have been snapped at by; dogs and geese, chased by water buffalo and struck at by a pissed off cobra.

I now view all these as having my own personal trainers. I now have different routes I ride depending on what type of training I’m doing……..Sprint, endurance, hill work or fast off road downhill. Note; I’ve not yet incorporated cobras into my planned training schedule…..Nor do I plan too.

Yes there’s nothing like a ‘pack’ of personal hairy trainers to improve your sprint time over the quarter mile, or get you out of the saddle and makes you grind your way up a hill that feels like the north face of K2.

Funny that you should mention that. I was thinking the same thing. Earlier in this thread, I hated chasing dogs. Now I kinda miss a few of the more nasty dogs on my routes (killed by local Thais with poison and cars/trucks, from what I heard).

It's just fun squirting them with a bit of rubbing alcohol. Gets the adrenaline flowing a little.

As for the getting off the bike to chase or stare down dogs, I think it would be disruptive to my rhythm and throw off my course time. But I'm all for someone else getting off the bike and doing it :)

I'm with you on the cobra. Only saw one on my ride. Used to see lots of rattlers when I ran mountains in CA. A couple of month ago, I came across a 4-5 meter long python crossing the road. Two days later, the villagers had killed it and flattened the carcass on the road as was the local custom :)

I know a couple of Thai bike clubs. They really "take care" of the dogs on their bike routes. So if you want trouble free rides, find out the local club's route and try them.

May the wind always be at your back!

I now view all these as having my own personal trainers. I now have different routes I ride depending on what type of training I'm doing……..Sprint, endurance, hill work or fast off road downhill. Note; I've not yet incorporated cobras into my planned training schedule…..Nor do I plan too.

Yes there's nothing like a 'pack' of personal hairy trainers to improve your sprint time over the quarter mile, or get you out of the saddle and makes you grind your way up a hill that feels like the north face of K2.

Funny that you should mention that. I was thinking the same thing. Earlier in this thread, I hated chasing dogs. Now I kinda miss a few of the more nasty dogs on my routes (killed by local Thais with poison and cars/trucks, from what I heard).

It's just fun squirting them with a bit of rubbing alcohol. Gets the adrenaline flowing a little.

As for the getting off the bike to chase or stare down dogs, I think it would be disruptive to my rhythm and throw off my course time. But I'm all for someone else getting off the bike and doing it :)

I'm with you on the cobra. Only saw one on my ride. Used to see lots of rattlers when I ran mountains in CA. A couple of month ago, I came across a 4-5 meter long python crossing the road. Two days later, the villagers had killed it and flattened the carcass on the road as was the local custom :)

I know a couple of Thai bike clubs. They really "take care" of the dogs on their bike routes. So if you want trouble free rides, find out the local club's route and try them.

May the wind always be at your back!

Nice one macx,

I am a member of Mae Taeng mountain bike club, a real good bunch of lad, who do put the miles in. I haven’t been out with the MB club for a while now due to other commitments and poor timing, that and the fact there’s way too much Lycra being worn by the Thais. What with my body shape, not a pretty sight! But you know what…your right about the Thai bikers and dogs. You’ve made me think about the ride outs when go with the club…….and you know, not to many dogs on the routes we go…Funny that!

Personally they, (dogs) don’t worry me, not yet anyway, I will post again, (flip flopping on my opinion) should I ever throw a chain while making my escape and the buggers get me.

Has anyone mentioned stun guns? Not to shock them but for the sound. They make a really sharp noise and dogs usually recoil from them.

Had to laugh at what you put teatree! Not at what you wrote, but the image of some poor sole bouncing down some dirt track being pursued by a pack of ‘personal trainers’, (all shouting encouragement and closing fast) The rider, now at def con 1, all flapping, screaming at the dogs to bugger off (in his best Thai) struggling to stay up-right and trying to retrieve said stun gun from his pocket…………………Zaaaaap…caaaaapow….zaps himself drawing it out of his pocket. Only to come around 2 or 3 minutes later to a small crowd of wagging tailed dogs.

All weapons have two edges!

Well, had to go and delete insults, flames, inflammatory troll posts and a few more.

I do not know what is wrong with you people that you cannot have a civil conversation but the next one to step over the line will be suspended.

I am constantly amazed at how such an innocent post could turn into a pissing match that needs to be moderated? It just reminds me how much I DON'T want to be a moderator. :blink:;)

I know that people love their dogs and that only a tiny percentage of dogs are truly nasty, but why would anyone DEFEND a nasty dog that bites people? I also know that many people have psychological fears (for whatever reason) that far outweigh the dangers, but there is no reason to pass on those fears to other people.

The solution is easy - just STOP.

Some dogs just enjoy chasing, if you stop then they will stop too.

And yes, I have put this in action and found it works. If everyone had the sense to do it then the dogs would realise their is no 'fun' anymore and stop chasing bikes etc.

I apologize if this has been covered already (I didn't read the entire thread). I've riden 8000+km through villages in NE Thailand.....never been bit. I'm always on the look out for a dog, if I see one, before I even get near, I let the dog know who's boss with a loud enough "chiit" sound. If he comes chasing and looks like he's intent on catching me, I'll stop the bike with the bike between me and the dog. It's as good as Cesar Millan's tennis racket (Dog Whisperer). I don't ride with sticks, horns, or other weapons.

• 1 month later...

The dog only attacks because it is afraid. Dogs are smart and there are ways you can tell them you are no threat to them.

stop. get off bike if need be. turn your back to dog let it come sniff you. Do not look at it do not pay it any attention. Next time dog wont chase (maybe).

The dog will think you are not scared of him and in turn he will respect you.

If they come sniffing nose first they are not a threat.

If dog is aggressive (unlikely) it will already be biting you. Strike it on the back of the head where the spine meets the skull. If not kick it in the face with the flat of your foot. Chances are though if you have not seen this coming you are already bleeding.

Wow people introduce dogs into the environment, then poison them and others complain when this is done and some when it is not done. What a wonderfully diverse and altogether ignorant world we live in.

Dogs only attack when they are afraid? What about when defending territory? The 20 or so that attacked my during this incidence were not afraid. They came from some distance away to have a go. It was like being on the plains of the Serengeti with a pack of hyena. :D

And yes, I have put this in action and found it works. If everyone had the sense to do it then the dogs would realise their is no 'fun' anymore and stop chasing bikes etc.

That is good advice, and it works! I have stopped too many dog attacks to count by simply stopping. If running, stop and turn and face the dog. Show no emotion--especially fear. That usually confuses the dog and it stops its natural behavior which is to run and chase down a prey. I have also done the same on a motorcycle and it worked. I did not get off the motorcycle, just stopped and turned and looked at the dog and he stopped. A pack of dogs might be a bit different. The was chased by four dogs once while jogging. I froze like a statue. They surrounded me, growling...sniffing. It was scary! But they never bit me. Remember that you can't outrun a dog.

haha.. good technique .. :thumbsup:

That is good advice, and it works! I have stopped too many dog attacks to count by simply stopping. If running, stop and turn and face the dog. Show no emotion--especially fear. That usually confuses the dog and it stops its natural behavior which is to run and chase down a prey. I have also done the same on a motorcycle and it worked. I did not get off the motorcycle, just stopped and turned and looked at the dog and he stopped. A pack of dogs might be a bit different. The was chased by four dogs once while jogging. I froze like a statue. They surrounded me, growling...sniffing. It was scary! But they never bit me. Remember that you can't outrun a dog.

to the OP

"unfriendly dogs running free and able to effectively block the road" Well, it doesn't matter where you are. these dogs behave similarly,Thailand. Cos' I also experienced the same as of what you had described in the writing. Sorry for the accident!!!.

What I will do when I encounter 'em usually are :coffee1: 1.get down from my push bike and stare at them and most of the time, they will stop suddenly of what they are doing and :crazy: wonder a bit. Might think why I don't fear them. Don't make yourself look you like you scar 'em. Do you know they are frightened of us more than we are frightened of 'em? And slowly walk away with great care. Once you are in their territories, they dogs psychologically have such great encouragement though. Or 2.if they chase me from behind and if they are close enough, I will slow down and hit 'em normally their heads with one of my feet. I have to. And of course they will deter and turn away. For the situation of a group of dogs, if you hit one and others see it they will quickly run away like he***ll too :D . And sometimes, I miss the target they will intensify the level of the noise violently and move aggressively. Just ignore them and slowly move 'till fade away.

Well, I wanna say that I had the same problem before and I got better when dealin' with them too many times. :vampire: If you can use a sling-shot for these nasty dogs, it's OK and morally acceptable to protect yourself from getting bitten. They are just some silly dogs.:jerk:

Huge dogs!!!! i dunno!!

Edited by dunkin2012

Well, you never know WHAT will happen when you stop.

This is what happened to the last guy who stopped... :blink::lol:

Croc_5_001.sized.jpg

The dog only attacks because it is afraid. Dogs are smart and there are ways you can tell them you are no threat to them.

stop. get off bike if need be. turn your back to dog let it come sniff you. Do not look at it do not pay it any attention. Next time dog wont chase (maybe).

The dog will think you are not scared of him and in turn he will respect you.

If they come sniffing nose first they are not a threat.

If dog is aggressive (unlikely) it will already be biting you. Strike it on the back of the head where the spine meets the skull. If not kick it in the face with the flat of your foot. Chances are though if you have not seen this coming you are already bleeding.

Wow people introduce dogs into the environment, then poison them and others complain when this is done and some when it is not done. What a wonderfully diverse and altogether ignorant world we live in.

You never need to go this far - just STOP and the dogs will stop too. They were just enjoying the chase.

Ian - I'm v sorry you have a problem with dogs, but follow my advice and you will be fine.

Edited by F1fanatic

I bought an ultrasonic dog dazer off ebay for about $10 and it works brilliantly. I always carry this in my back-pocket when I'm out riding the bike, and it works a treat with the soi dogs around the house as well :rolleyes:

I hate dogs. I hate Thai dogs more. I think people who have 5 or 10 dogs and let them wander around molesting people (even mildly, like barking or chasing) should be locked up for ruining the environment in which the rest of us have to live .

I would try to kill any dog that menaced me, but I'm really not sure how successful I would be, being a bit squeamish and never carrying anything more lethal than a cell phone and a pack of chewing gum....

Dogs with rabies won't play dog whisperer games and so your valiant stares and all the rest will just increase your chances of a painful bite and a ghastly disease.

Did I say I hate dogs?

Well, I ate dog in Vietnam. Quite good actually and felt I was getting my own back for all those toddlers who've lost their faces or lives from dog attacks, while the owners express incredulity: "he wouldn't hurt a fly!"

You never need to go this far - just STOP and the dogs will stop too. They were just enjoying the chase.

Ian - I'm v sorry you have a problem with dogs, but follow my advice and you will be fine.

Actually, I seldom have trouble with dogs today, but when I worked part time as a postie and paperboy during my stay at university I had to deal with aggressive dogs all the time. I love dogs and I'm not afraid of any dog... including the nasty ones. But, I DO have scars on my legs, arms, hands, nose and throat due to dog bites. I have been attacked by a pit bull who intended to do serious damage. I had to kill it with my bare hands. And, when finishing off the job with my pocket knife the owner came screaming at me. He stopped when I told him that he was going to be next... and I meant it.

But, I agree with you that 99% of the time if you stop and face the dogs then they will stop chasing. But, for some odd reason they will nip at someone riding a bike. I think some bikes create a high frequency noise that only dogs can hear. Also, dogs are VERY territorial and don't like strangers coming into their space. A few dog breeds were bred to be aggressive and you can't take that out of them... just as you can't stop a retriever from retrieving, a sheep dog from herding, or a hunting dog from hunting.

Actually, I seldom have trouble with dogs today, but when I worked part time as a postie and paperboy during my stay at university I had to deal with aggressive dogs all the time. I love dogs and I'm not afraid of any dog... including the nasty ones. But, I DO have scars on my legs, arms, hands, nose and throat due to dog bites. I have been attacked by a pit bull who intended to do serious damage. I had to kill it with my bare hands. And, when finishing off the job with my pocket knife the owner came screaming at me. He stopped when I told him that he was going to be next... and I meant it.

But, I agree with you that 99% of the time if you stop and face the dogs then they will stop chasing. But, for some odd reason they will nip at someone riding a bike. I think some bikes create a high frequency noise that only dogs can hear. Also, dogs are VERY territorial and don't like strangers coming into their space. A few dog breeds were bred to be aggressive and you can't take that out of them... just as you can't stop a retriever from retrieving, a sheep dog from herding, or a hunting dog from hunting.

I assume that the aggressive dogs were chasing you whilst you were living in the USA - its incredibly rare to find aggressive soi dogs here.

As I said before, many dogs love CHASING. If you stop then the chase has finished and they will wander away.

Funnily enough I have only been bitten once by a dog - and it was a dog owned by a Thai whilst I was out walking my dogs! I saw a couple of dogs coming, so put my dogs on leads. Much to my suprise one of the dogs bit me! Long story short - the dog wanted to attack one of my dogs but realised I was in the way, so bit me. I was suprised, not frightened and the dog, whilst not giving up, backed away.

Took me entirely by suprise, but I know this was a 'rare' dog.

I hate dogs. I hate Thai dogs more. I think people who have 5 or 10 dogs and let them wander around molesting people (even mildly, like barking or chasing) should be locked up for ruining the environment in which the rest of us have to live .

I would try to kill any dog that menaced me, but I'm really not sure how successful I would be, being a bit squeamish and never carrying anything more lethal than a cell phone and a pack of chewing gum....

Dogs with rabies won't play dog whisperer games and so your valiant stares and all the rest will just increase your chances of a painful bite and a ghastly disease.

Did I say I hate dogs?

Well, I ate dog in Vietnam. Quite good actually and felt I was getting my own back for all those toddlers who've lost their faces or lives from dog attacks, while the owners express incredulity: "he wouldn't hurt a fly!"

Good for you. Dogs are pretty harmless, unlike people, and you are far more likely to get a disease from a person than a dog.

Dogs are also loyal companions that love you regardless of your faults - which is why I generally want nothing to do with people that don't like animals.

Animals (especially dogs) are GENUINE, unlike people. What's not to like?

Staring them down: well, it works when you are convinced of your superiority. If you are feeble-minded, the dogs will probably sense it and attack.

Another piece of advice if you have no stones: just pretend to pick some up. That has always worked with me.

Also learn the Thai (or local) expression of 'out' or 'down', whatever locals use to tell a dog to back off and shout it at them.

This post would be hilarious if it was not tragic.

Stay dogs are our own fault, to let them have abandoned and reproduce, you might consider donating to scald instead of pretending to getting stones.

Dogs don't speak Thai, they like all animals use telepathy, which means which ever language you use if the dog is tuned to you, he will get it.

Staring them down: well, it works when you are convinced of your superiority. If you are feeble-minded, the dogs will probably sense it and attack.

Another piece of advice if you have no stones: just pretend to pick some up. That has always worked with me.

Also learn the Thai (or local) expression of 'out' or 'down', whatever locals use to tell a dog to back off and shout it at them.

Stay dogs are our own fault, to let them have abandoned and reproduce, you might consider donating to scald instead of pretending to getting stones.

Dogs don't speak Thai, they like all animals use telepathy, which means which ever language you use if the dog is tuned to you, he will get it.

Abandoned dogs IS a huge problem all over Asia. Thais seem to love their dogs, but, because nobody can afford it, the poor people never have their pet spayed.

However, although I agree that dogs use telepathy for most of their reactionsI disagree with you about dogs understanding language. They DO understand words, but just not in long sentences, or the meaning of sentences. Dogs seem to love silly baby talk and don't care what you tell them so long as it's done in a soothing manner. When taught to do so, they certainly know their name, and the words: stop, go, come, fetch etc.

Abandoned dogs IS a huge problem all over Asia. Thais seem to love their dogs, but, because nobody can afford it, the poor people never have their pet spayed.

However, although I agree that dogs use telepathy for most of their reactionsI disagree with you about dogs understanding language. They DO understand words, but just not in long sentences, or the meaning of sentences. Dogs seem to love silly baby talk and don't care what you tell them so long as it's done in a soothing manner. When taught to do so, they certainly know their name, and the words: stop, go, come, fetch etc.

I was saying actually that abandoned animals IS a huge problem all over the world.

What is laughable is people trying to learn "stone" in Thai to scare dogs.

I did say the solution is not pepper spray or stones but birth control. ie scald

As for Words understood, this is the basis of telepathy. The concept is formed in your brain when you say it ; saying it actually helps you to get it clearer in your brain more than the dog.

A dog can learn much more than fetch stop and go.