Queue Jumpers

vegas

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if cattle prods are legal here. That would <deleted> em. :D

But then there'd be a queue to buy the Cattle prods. And undoubtedley the queue jumpers would get them first. Thus prodding the people behind them :o:D

True..

I guess we could get em on Ebay instead, now that would really <deleted> em.

I wonder if cattle prods are legal here. That would <deleted> em. :D

But then there'd be a queue to buy the Cattle prods. And undoubtedley the queue jumpers would get them first. Thus prodding the people behind them :o:D

True..

I guess we could get em on Ebay instead, now that would really <deleted> em.

That's the answer. :D

Good point. Why do any of us worry about queues when everything can be bought on ebay anyway. Just think, sit in your office all day and night and order things off the net. Never having to worry about queue jumpers again !!

I really think most of you are bringing the queue jumping on yourself thru your own karma. You are too wound up and defensive and the universe senses this as a cat senses a mouse and pounces on you. A laid back attitude, letting someone who is trapped in their own desire to pass on once in a while, little things can change your karma. No need to lead your entire life like a little child who was bullied many years ago and will not let it happen again. How often in your life does this really happen and if it happens a lot can't you take some responsibility for choosing where and how you live your life?

There is a way to live your life where you will not attract constant suffering. PM me for details.

Edited by mdeland

Queue jumping is something that annoys everyone. The Thai slang for this is "sahn queue" which literally means "shorten the queue", meaning pushing in. "Sahn queue very much" spoken by a farang in a clear voice will at least get you a few knowing sniggers and approving smirks from other similarly-annoyed queuers, and sometimes even a blush from the offending twerp in question.

I've actually pushed in front of the queue-jumper before, and spoken directly to them, saying I'm in a rush too. They don't do anything. :o

After all, it is their country and I'm just a very grateful guest.
I really think most of you are bringing the queue jumping on yourself thru your own karma
Jesus H. Christ! :o

Words fail me.

Try anyway

I have been victim many a time to the likes of Thais jumping into the Queue before ones self. Words which spring to mind are Arrogant, rude, bad mannered, poorly educated, annoying, even dare I say, anti-farang? I am not sure? I once told a Thai lady to "jai yen yen" I dont think she liked it wery mut. If I dared to jump the queue at say, Tescos, in my home town, I would probably get beaten with a large bread stick or worse, a can of skipjack tuna... :o

We have all chosen to be here, for better or worse. I have learned to be a bit more spry and hang on to my place in line, if I care that much. Most of the time I accept Thais "improper behavior" as part of the package for great food, cheap prices, and good looking ladies :-)

We have all chosen to be here, for better or worse. I have learned to be a bit more spry and hang on to my place in line, if I care that much. Most of the time I accept Thais "improper behavior" as part of the package for great food, cheap prices, and good looking ladies :-)

Nice way of looking at it but it does not the Thais to better themselves!

I have been victim many a time to the likes of Thais jumping into the Queue before ones self. Words which spring to mind are Arrogant, rude, bad mannered, poorly educated, annoying, even dare I say, anti-farang? I am not sure? I once told a Thai lady to "jai yen yen" I dont think she liked it wery mut. If I dared to jump the queue at say, Tescos, in my home town, I would probably get beaten with a large bread stick or worse, a can of skipjack tuna... :D

:o

I have been victim many a time to the likes of Thais jumping into the Queue before ones self. Words which spring to mind are Arrogant, rude, bad mannered, poorly educated, annoying, even dare I say, anti-farang? I am not sure? I once told a Thai lady to "jai yen yen" I dont think she liked it wery mut. If I dared to jump the queue at say, Tescos, in my home town, I would probably get beaten with a large bread stick or worse, a can of skipjack tuna... :D

:o

Seconded bloody funny :D

And, I still don't think there is any excuse for bad manners by anyone in any country. Period.

You are too wound up and defensive and the universe senses this as a cat senses a mouse and pounces on you.

Woody: "How's the universe treating you, Mr. Peterson?"

Norm: "Like a cat treats a mouse!"

(For those who remember Cheers.)

Woody: "How's it goin' Mr. Peterson?"

Norm: "I'm at my ideal weight, if I was 11 feet tall!" :o

A couple of years back I accompanied the Missus to a bank.

I sat down near the entrance with the intention to let her get on with it whilst I read the paper :D

They had a form of single Q system, with only 1 other person in the Q - but it did not stop the Missus just standing in line. At the front of the Q :bah::bah:

The other perosn was a middle aged Thai lady who I could see was somewhat taken aback about by this blatant Q jumping, especially probably because their really wasn't a Q to speak of!!

I will admit that I was also somewhat taken aback about by this blatant Q jumping, but not totally surprised :o

I know sometimes Thai folk can be hard to understand (speaking Thai and all!), but I find facially many are quite easy to "read" when they are conflicted and wanting to do or say something but feel unable to actually do so.....and this Thai lady was making all the right gurning expressions....... as part of which she started looking around in a confused manner and when she saw me - looking in her direction - she averted her gaze quickly.

I figured I had 3 options, ignore the situation, go and have a quiet word with the Missus or the 3rd option that I took..........

To cough loudly.

I knew the Missus had heard me, knew it was me (Farang cough not same same Thai - more base!) and I knew she had a good idea what about - simply by the way she was ignoring me :o

I tried again to attract her attention, this time by using her full name (which I only use when "serious") in a deepened voice, not shouted but from 30 odd feet away more than loud enough to force her to respond on pain of a louder repetition.

She turned, looked at me quizzically with guilt written all over her face in her usual manner. (she has never really got the hang of "Guile" :D )

I indicated with my finger that she should take her place in the Q (of 2 people!) behind the Middle aged Thai Lady......who looked concerned about what was about to happen. (I should perhaps have mentioned already that, especially back then, the Missus acted like she could go 10 rounds with Mike Tyson......and often looked like she had recently done so :D )

But fair play to the Missus she did as asked without quibble, albeit looking a bit pissed off.

During all this neither of the Thai woman had looked at each other, no mean feat bearing in mind they were standing less than 2 foot apart and it required some nimble footwork on both parts to keep not seeing each other!

Once at the head of the Q (!!) the Middle aged Thai woman looked back at me with evident surprise at my assistance and she smiled politely and mouthed some words of thanks (of course she could have mouthed "Why don't you smelly farang <deleted> take your whore somewhere else?" ;) .....but I am pretty sure that whatever the words were they were only mouthed. As the Missus never hit her :D

The Missus had forgotten the incident 5 minutes later.

I probably committed some godawful cultural sin by calling down on my Missus over a complete stranger (althgough back then she was "only" a G/f :D ) ......but I figure some things are just "right" to do.

Of course if the Q had been a mile long I probably would not have been quite to helpful!

I have endured queue jumping at that same villa and the nearby 7/11. The jumpers have never been Thai though. The last one was Indian I think. The kicker was that the guy wasn't even in a hurry. He opened his drink and swigged it all down before departing. I had a parting word for the MFer

I have endured queue jumping at that same villa and the nearby 7/11. The jumpers have never been Thai though. The last one was Indian I think. The kicker was that the guy wasn't even in a hurry. He opened his drink and swigged it all down before departing. I had a parting word for the MFer

At the NANA Post Office I had once an Indian guy reach rudely around me as I was just ready to conduct my business. He ordered loudly some aerogrammes. Intimidated, the female employee served him. I managed to put my sweaty arm on the aerogrammes when she laid them on the counter. The guy shot me a murderous look. Petty revenge but what the heck!

On the other hand, at the same PO a few days ago, a Thai with a pack of letters who was ahead of me made me go before him when he noticed that I had only one letter to post.

Jumping the line is one of our biggest pet peeves. My husband (thai) usually puts them in their place quickly.........and he is one of the thai-chinese some of you accuse of being the main culprets. Anyway, I digress.

I've been line jumped not just in asia but in San Diego, usually by asians......that doesn't mean they all do.

I usually shop at one of the large asian markets and there is always someone who thinks they can butt in front of you at any of the counters where you ordered meat and such. It happened to me maybe two times because they were so quick, but after that never again.

I remember one trip back to the states. When our plane stopped in Taiwan all the women, including the thai women, lined up in the restroom, except for one thai woman that thought she could just go to the front of the line and get the next stall. She didn't make it.

I let people in front of me with one or two items when they ask or when they don't ask, but the idea that you have to kowtow to rude people shoving in front of you because this is not your native country is rediculous. If you approve of this behavior maybe you do it too.

Beachbunny

I experienced queue jumping (in front of me) in Thailand (it's surprising that it happens quite a lot in BKK where I would have thought there are more educated people than in other places; and, it's so bad in Hua Hin it's quite disgusting but it's something you've gotta put up with at times; surprisingly not too many times in Pattaya), Australia, Hong Kong, especially quite many times in Paris, but never in Canada. I don't think Thais think they're better than the others. If there should be some people who have such a thought, they probably don't know how to spell "manners" or there are many words associated with "selfishness" in their dictionary. I read a book written by a Thai doctor about her life in America she was cut right in front of her at a post office by a local and they got into verbal fight, the queue jumper finally retreat. Another book by an English man about his life in France in "Merde Actually" claiming that the French are world champion in queue jumping but he defeat them at an art exhibition queue. Sorry for rambling but to answer myself it's not about education or anything, people are just selfish sometimes (and even more these days). I'll just have to remember not to queue jump. Though I"ll ask politely to somebody in front of me with a trolley full of groceries when I have just a can of pepsi in my hands. And if somebody queue jump me, i'll just shout "hey, tor taew si ka!!!" (go line up mate!).

I experienced queue jumping (in front of me) in Thailand (it's surprising that it happens quite a lot in BKK where I would have thought there are more educated people than in other places; and, it's so bad in Hua Hin it's quite disgusting but it's something you've gotta put up with at times; surprisingly not too many times in Pattaya), Australia, Hong Kong, especially quite many times in Paris, but never in Canada. I don't think Thais think they're better than the others. If there should be some people who have such a thought, they probably don't know how to spell "manners" or there are many words associated with "selfishness" in their dictionary. I read a book written by a Thai doctor about her life in America she was cut right in front of her at a post office by a local and they got into verbal fight, the queue jumper finally retreat. Another book by an English man about his life in France in "Merde Actually" claiming that the French are world champion in queue jumping but he defeat them at an art exhibition queue. Sorry for rambling but to answer myself it's not about education or anything, people are just selfish sometimes (and even more these days). I'll just have to remember not to queue jump. Though I"ll ask politely to somebody in front of me with a trolley full of groceries when I have just a can of pepsi in my hands. And if somebody queue jump me, i'll just shout "hey, tor taew si ka!!!" (go line up mate!).

i do what they do ,jump the queue and act dumb ,order whatever in thai and nobody bothers you .. :o

I shouldn't say this but occasionally queue jumping is hilarious. 14 years ago I went to see In The Name of the Father at MBK cinema with my 5' missus. This was the days before the lovely carpeted cinemas with comfy seats, quality sound and single file queues. In those days you were likely to have a few cats running around your seat, I assume to control the rats. What's more there was no such thing as a queue so you were left to fight with a horde of 20+ people mashed together at the ticket office when you wanted to by your ticket. I was not up to it on this day so my missus grabbed the cash off me ducked down low and disappeared into the the mass of people swarming around the box office only to bob up 10 seconds later right in front of the counter. She returned triumphantly, moments later with our tickets. Classic.

My Thai colleagues say that they fume when people jump the queue both for the fact that they are cheated out of their place and for that fact that they stand there and take it. In Villa it was an Indian lady who jumped the queue but on every other occasion it has been a Thai, and strangely enough (it seems), rarely Chinese-Thais. Maybe it's the fact that I wear a tie everyday?

Indians are the world's worst for jumping the queue. What's interesting is they are also easily cowed. Just give a loud "excuse me" and they immediately apologize and head to the back of the line.

As for Thai's, most Thai's I know hate the queue jumpers, but it is a RARE Thai that will say anything. Next time this happens, look and see that the Thais will look at the Westerner on line like we are official line monitors. I almost always say something to anyone cutting me on-line, unless they are really far up. Once or twice I actually left my spot in the line and cut the person who cut the line – this always draws an interesting reaction. In general, just say something in Thai clearly addressed to the person cutting you – they usually slink away. They know they're wrong, they just never expect to get called on it.

Although it isn't queue jumping, it's nearly the same and as annoying.

When i last flew to LOS i had pre-booked my aisle seat. I got there and this Indian guy was sat in my seat. At first he conveniently couldn't understand my request for him to move into his own seat. When i got the cabin crew involved, he could speak english all of a sudden and wanted me to move, as the aisle seat was more comfortable for him!!

On yer bike Tonto and pre book in future. :o

Although it isn't queue jumping, it's nearly the same and as annoying.

When i last flew to LOS i had pre-booked my aisle seat. I got there and this Indian guy was sat in my seat. At first he conveniently couldn't understand my request for him to move into his own seat. When i got the cabin crew involved, he could speak english all of a sudden and wanted me to move, as the aisle seat was more comfortable for him!!

On yer bike Tonto and pre book in future. :D

Yet another use for the cattle prod.. :o

The only time I did this (if I can get away with it) was in the good ole days, while I was still in the University. Registration day is crazy: talk to the dean, the registrar, pay the cashier, get new credits, etc, etc. The process takes 2-3 <deleted> days. Talking to the dean is almost impossible. We had to stay in the line for more than half a day. Such was the length of the line! Those were the days! NO, I never shoved anyone, but I try to create a secondary line, or jump in front of a line (in front of blokes). I know that was wicked, but..............

Edited by GreenShone

An extremely irritating 'lady' tried to jump the queue at the check out at Villa soi 11 today. Each time the first person in the queue paid for their groceries this individual would try to jump in and order a can of pepsi. But, each time the Thai check out girl would completely ignore her (bless her heart) and serve the next person who had joined the line. Eventually the girl lost her patience and warbled 'but I was here first' (which she clearly was not), while wobbling her head from side to side. Again she was ignored but miss wobble refused to join the queue and was still trying to push in as I paid for my groceries and left the store.

Having had numerous <deleted> try to jump the queue in cinemas, fast food places, ATMs etc. it was a real treat to see a Thai girl with the backbone to ignore this rude idiot and make an example of her. Hopefully she's probably still there, trying to buy her can of pepsi.

well, you better don't go to China then, there NOBODY QUEUES !

you have to fight, push and struggle to get anything or you'll be last in the queue for ever !

lol

As it's one of my pet peeves too, can someone tell me how to say in Thai "Your time is surely more important than mine (or ours)." Any other good sarcastic comment ideas?

It's a waste of time i'm afraid, Thai's don't seem to understand sarcasm.

Regards

Jaiyenyen

To be fair I don't agree that queue jumping is all that common in Thailand.

It seems to happen most when the queue jumper decides that his/her request for something quick is more important than those waiting.

The worst are those with money. I hate them. The way they swan about in crappy jewels and huge hair certain they are better than everyone else.

I was in a sandwhich queue in an expensive mall and some hi-so hag swanned past the queue with all of her purchases. I decided to act in a way that would damage her face as much as possible whilst staying true to my manners and view of 'fair'. I stepped out of the queue and tapped her arm and politely said "there is a queue, thats why people are queueing. you must go to the back" she looked at me like filth and swanned off.

The moral is, queue jumpers jump queues because they expect nobody to say something. So say something.

I was in line at a small food court at a shopping center near Nana in Bangkok. I had waited my turn. Now I was half an inch from the counter. The words were beggining to come out of my mouth for my order. This Thai male stepped more like pushed his way in front of me. I then by putting my arm out and going side ways to the counter got in front of him to make my order. This was acknowledged by sounds of "oi oi" from other people seated and eating. I heard one Thai lady say, "that is if you do it so will I". She was describing what I did to a friend. The Thai man who tried to shove me out of the way said nothing. I said to him that is rude any where in the world. I don't know if he understood what I said.

I have seen this behavior before. What is up with that?

Some people have told me it is because this man thought that he was of a higher class than myself. Others tell me that some Thai people automatically think that they are of a higher class simply because they are Thai and you are not. Is this true? is this normal behavior?

It is normal behaior but not because you are farabg. My girl and I were at the race track a few weeks ago and every time my girl went to cash a ticket she had to fight for space in front of the window. Yes it is very frustrating to have to deal with this behavior.