Immigration archives - how to access?

As part of my Thai citizenship application, I need proof that my parents were living legally in Thailand when I was born in the 1980s. Unfortunately, I cannot find my dad's passport from that time. I was once told by an immigration official that we can apply for documents from their archives, to find proof that my dad was here then. Has anyone done this before? How do we do it? How long does it take? 

Thanks for any help!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

Why would you need proof that they were living here at the time you were born? I would think you need proof that one of them is Thai.

Because I am applying under the Nationality Act 2551 which grants citizenship to foreign children born to foreign parents in Thailand in the 1980s.

6 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

What section of the law does say that, I can't find it.

MOI order dated 14 march 2560. in case of both (foreign) parent that resided in Thailand for at least 15 years (also mention having 13 digit thai ID number, does pink/alien card counts?)

previously was pre 1972 (2515) Jus Soli right given to anyone born in Thailand

19 hours ago, sussex said:

Because I am applying under the Nationality Act 2551 which grants citizenship to foreign children born to foreign parents in Thailand in the 1980s.

17 hours ago, digbeth said:

MOI order dated 14 march 2560. in case of both (foreign) parent that resided in Thailand for at least 15 years (also mention having 13 digit thai ID number, does pink/alien card counts?)

previously was pre 1972 (2515) Jus Soli right given to anyone born in Thailand

AFAIK this only applies to a person born in Thailand while at least one of his foreign parents held a PR at the time of birth. You also have to prove a deep connection to Thailand. I knew a couple of guys who got their citizenship this way, but they lived in Thailand since birth consecutively.

• Like 1

The basic date of the Nationality act is 2508. Amendment #5 is dated 2555.

From Thai Council of State website:   https://www.ocs.go.th/council-of-state/#/intro-page

NATIONALITY ACT, B.E. 2508 (1965)**

** As amended up to the Nationality Act (No. 5), B.E. 2555 (2012).

NATIONALITY ACT, B.E. 2508 (1965).pdf

Edited by Smokin Joe
Couldn't get original link to work.