Wise Money Transfers - Using a Laptop not the App

I have used Wise to transfer money from Australia into Thailand for years – they are good, quick and usually the best price. They recently changed their login ‘security’ options for laptops, and this is for those who may have had the same problems I had.

I access all financial and government organisations in Australia using my safe and secure laptop with VPN, with the 2nd level security being an SMS sent to my Aust mobile. In Thailand my Aust service is ‘roaming’ and connects to the AIS mobile network – I have data services off, so only SMS and calls are available. Whenever I need to login I have the Aust SIM in a spare phone and I get the SMS codes that way (it is always off until needed).

Wise Australia decided to force all Users to download and use their App for all 2nd level verification when logging in using a laptop. For the last few weeks when logging in, a popup said I must install the App - but I just skipped that, and then I would get an SMS. Meanwhile I was emailing Wise, asking if there is another way to verify my logins besides the App, as I was overseas.

After many to’s and fro’s via emails (their only method to talk now), it was clear that the Wise ‘person’ did not read/understand my issue (AI Help?). All the numbers I had to call (and used before) were closed and a recorded message on all of them said ‘login for help’. It took a while but eventually I found their new Call Centre number for SEAsia (+61 1800 549 837) which is in India/Malaysia I think.

Once I was finally able to get the message through that I did not want to use my mobile phone, but preferred my laptrop and SMS, I was given a ‘solution’. The only ‘solution’ is to download and use the App to login, and then remove the App as a login method (ridiculous but it is all they have).

• Download and install the App on a smartphone.
  • Login using the App – you will need the SMS code for the first time.
  • Logout.

Here is the ridiculous thing about this ‘security’ rubbish using the App. After doing that above, all I needed to login on the phone was the App and name/password – no 2nd level verification. But the laptop still required an SMS plus App verification (3 levels). How the hell is the App more secure?? The app was loaded onto my Thai phone using a Thai network – it could be done anywhere in the world.

• The next step is to log back in using the App – name and password only needed ☹
  • Go to settings in the App and delete the App as the 2nd level verification.
  • Logout from App.
  • Delete the App and all data.

• Login using the Laptop – you will again need an SMS code after entering name/password.
  • Once logged in on the Laptop, go to settings and confirm SMS is the default 2nd level verification.
  • Logout - all is Done.

There are millions of mobile phones stolen every day – and many end up in the hands of hackers and scammers. There is no way I want my phone to have details of all my financial and banking logins – especially in Thailand. Sure many of the stolen ones are blown away and resold - but the security risk is real and it does happen. And here in Thailand the banking organisations will not usually refund your money – because they don’t have to (unlike in the west).

Apparently, your stolen phone is just the start of your problems. - ASEAN NOW Community Pub - Thailand News, Travel & Forum - ASEAN NOW

Edited by TroubleandGrumpy
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It's on you to secure your phone and the apps installed on it. I use the Wise app exclusively and it won't open or do any transfers without my face authentication. If my iphone is ever lost or stolen, I can easily just mark it as such online, wipe all the data and it becomes a useless brick that can't even really be sold even for parts anymore.

Edited by Ohyesuare