DiY Retiement Extension - Jomtien

Further to above, my experience getting the Bank Certification letter

My Krungsri Branch is in Central Festival which doesn't open until 11am, so I chose Krungsri near Jomtien beach, which is walking distance to immigration.

Bank opened at 09:30 (7 people arrived ahead of me) and I got to see Teller at 09:40 with letter provided within 20 minutes. Letter cost 100 baht (12 month statement was 400 baht but I didn't need it as first time extension).

This was also a fixed term deposit account (1.8% interest) which I opened on 20 April. A lot of people had commented that this fixed term account would not be accepted by immigration but it was accepted without any comment

Edited by Pattaya57

OP : thank u for your helpful post re retirement extension at Jomtien.

One matter:

"While very minor for me today as no queues anywhere, this TM 30 issue could have added 1-2 hours to my day. A bit ridiculous they don't accept the very formal looking TM30 online receipt that has immigration logo's all over it (but accept a scrappy tear off handwritten page instead)."

I have the same formal document confirming TM 30 from Immigration online receipt with the immigration logo on it but not the scrappy tear off document.

The formal document was given to me by the Landlords agent and when I recently did my 90 days online  they had registered my new address without any need to go to immigration.

However, it seems from what you are saying when doing the retirement extension, they expect the  tear off slip to be provided.

Is that right?

Edited by homeseeker

29 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

My Krungsri Branch is in Central Festival which doesn't open until 11am, so I chose Krungsri near Jomtien beach, which is walking distance to immigration.

Bank opened at 09:30 (7 people arrived ahead of me) and I got to see Teller at 09:40 with letter provided within 20 minutes. Letter cost 100 baht (12 month statement was 400 baht but I didn't need it as first time extension).

This was also a fixed term deposit account (1.8% interest) which I opened on 20 April. A lot of people had commented that this fixed term account would not be accepted by immigration but it was accepted without any comment

BTW you can use previous days bank cert

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, homeseeker said:

However, it seems from what you are saying when doing the retirement extension, they expect the  tear off slip to be provided.

Is that right?

Yes, however good news is I didn't need to apply for a new TM30 with all the associated documents. They just took my formal online printout and swapped it for the tear off  version 

41 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

A lot of people had commented that this fixed term account would not be accepted by immigration but it was accepted without any comment

A lot of wrong informed people.

Can't tell how often this was clarified in the forum.

The only condition for the account: shown balance could be withdrawn in full at any time.

In this case just loosing accrued interest which is not shown on balance before due date.

Good to see your report. Would call it off-season report :tongue:

Edited by KhunBENQ

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

BTW you can use previous days bank cert

At least here it is no problem. Always used previous day.

What they want is a bank book update from same day.

(you could have withdrawn the millions overnight :biggrin:)

Edited by KhunBENQ

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Good to see your report. Would call it off-season report :tongue:

Well that is a hugely under rated factor though. I specifically chose June as my application/renewal month for that reason, no thousands of tourists clogging up the TM7 process 😀

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

What they want is a bank book update from same day. (you could have withdrawn the millions overnight :biggrin:)

Not true, being a fixed term deposit my bank book wasn't updated today (it was last updated 6 days ago with monthly interest on the 20th)

Edited by Pattaya57

7 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

What they want is a bank book update from same day.

(you could have withdrawn the millions overnight :biggrin:)

no previous day bank letter and book updated to agree.

I'll rephrase, what they want is the letter and passbook to agree, same day, can be previous day

Edited by scubascuba3

3 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Not true, being a fixed term deposit my bank book wasn't updated today (it was last updated 6 days ago with monthly interest on the 20th)

Here immigration gave me a reminder that the book (fixed deposit) update has to be from same day. Fortunately at Bangkok Bank this can be done at the counter without any transaction. Even the update machines will do if you insert them a second time after seeing not transaction at first attempt.

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'll rephrase, what they want is the letter and passbook to agree, same day, can be previous day

I have done that for 10 years or so and last time they "let me through" but reminded me next time book update same day.

Seems it's up to the office(r).

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

no previous day bank letter and book updated to agree.

As I said above, my passbook was updated on 20th June when my interest was paid. Bank letter was issued today 26th of June

There is actually no way for me to have updated my passbook today as my fixed term deposit does not allow top-ups and I'm not withdrawing anything to then lose the interest 

Edited by Pattaya57

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

As I said above, my passbook was updated on 20th June when my interest was paid. Bank letter was issued today 26th of June

There is actually no way for me to have updated my passbook today as my fixed term deposit does not allow top-ups and I'm not withdrawing anything to then lose the interest 

Yep different rules sometimes incl those with no passbook

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yep different rules sometimes incl those with no passbook

Thread is about rules at Jomtien though. No need to update passbook on day of application or day of Bank letter issuance or I would have been rejected and fixed term deposits with limited activity could never be used

Edited by Pattaya57

3 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Thread is about rules at Jomtien though. No need to update passbook on day of application or day of Bank letter issuance or I would have been rejected

Maybe not, your case is different because of your fixed account. My bank letter and passbook was both in agreement as at the day before

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe not, your case is different because of your fixed account. My bank letter and passbook was both in agreement as at the day before

No doubt they were because you made it so. Doesn't mean Jomtien immigration is currently requiring it though?

They accepted this after initial deposit on 20 April (just interest and tax transactions up to 20 June)

20240626_162947.jpg

Edited by Pattaya57

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Lots of posts about it in other threads

Well in fairness there are also lots of posts saying you can't use a fixed term account, which is obviously not true. I also remember reading on TV maybe 5 years ago that you must update bank book on day of application (or day before depending on office), so maybe it was required but not so strict anymore?

(I was going to go on 21 June because of what I read on here to make it same day or day prior update but I got the flu and couldn't do it)

Edited by Pattaya57

9 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Well in fairness there are also lots of posts saying you can't use a fixed term account, which is obviously not true. I also remember reading on TV maybe 5 years ago that you must update bank book on day of application (or day before depending on office), so maybe it was required but not so strict anymore?

(I was going to go on 21 June because of what I read on here to make it same day update but I got the flu and couldn't do it)

Everyone says make it agree, little effort to do that, who wants to risk it and have to go back to the bank and redo. Usually it's a case of trying to get everything right so the IO can't find something to moan about

8 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

my experience at "the dreaded" Jomtien immigration today to get the associated 12 month extension

Jomtien is one of the best places to get a 12-Mo RETIREMENT-based extension.  

They are also relatively good with Tourist-Visa extensions, though have to jump through the TM-30 hoops (hope your landlord is cooperative with signed copies of Chanote and House-Book ).

Getting the initial Non-O 90 day is terrible there - for many, many years - a 15K "fee" for them to follow the rules.

Getting a Marriage-Based extension can also be a nightmare there.

• Thanks 1

I did my annual extension at Jomtien on Thursday morning (20 June) arriving at 8:30 am.  There was no line at the info desk and my queue number for desk 8 was #3.  They did give me two documents to sign along with blank copies to "use next year" - the acknowledgement of penalties for overstay and similar one for knowing the need to visit Immigration if any changes in my status for obtaining the extension.

It was then direct into the main building to to desk 8 for a 5 minute wait for the IO (one was processing another person and mine wasn't at the desk yet).  He went through the documents (I use 65k monthly income - USA, so no Embassy letter).  I obtained my bank letters the previous day (Bangkok Bank - passbook not kept up to date during the year so I had ordered bank statements one week previously which the teller used to prepare the letter listing foreign deposits for the preceding 12 months).

I did do a transaction that morning at the Bangkok Bank branch near Immigration and then updated passbook - I don't recall the IO even looking at it (the previous year I didn't update on the day I renewed and there was no question raised).  The only issue was in the past they were satisfied with copies of passbook pages (even though not regularly updated) and bank letter listing foreign deposits.  However, this time, the IO wanted the bank statements (which I had with me and gave to him).

I departed at about 8:45am with instructions as usual to pick up passport the next day after 2pm.  One change was he said I did not have to return in person and that my Thai companion could pick up the passport for me - which they did the following day. 

• Like 1

Just to finish the process, they said pick-up Passport after 2pm but I got there at 1:30 and it was ready. I just waved my blue ticket number at desk 8 and they pointed to the only female IO there so thats who you see to pick up your passport.

Still no queues so decided to get  multiple re-entry permit as well. Cost 3800 baht, took 15 minutes and needed:

- TM8 Re-entry application + photo

- copy of passport ID page

- copy of Retirement extension

- copy of non-imm O entry stamp

- copy of TM30

No idea why they needed a TM30 for a re-entry permit but it seems to be this all powerful document you must include with everything 😆 

Edited by Pattaya57

Oh I almost forgot, this forum pretty much says 90 day reporting has nothing to do with getting an extension, however Jomtien stapled a notice into my passport telling me to do a 90 day report on 24 Sep, so 90 days from extension application/stamp date (my actual 90 days in country will be on 14 July)

Also has the fine gone up? I thought it was 2000 baht fine for not reporting but this says 5000 baht + 200 baht for each day not reporting

20240627_155240.jpg

Edited by Pattaya57

On 6/26/2024 at 2:09 PM, Pattaya57 said:

Just a heads-up to those with a Thai bank account originally opened at a branch in another province than Chonburi (or in another province from the one in which you are applying.)  I was applying in Jomtien but I originally opened my Bangkok Bank account at a Bangkok branch.  When I went to the Jomtien branch of  Bangkok Bank, I was told the certification and one year transaction record had to originate at my HOME BRANCH in Bangkok, thus adding 5 working days to obtaining those documents.  

44 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Oh I almost forgot, this forum pretty much says 90 day reporting has nothing to do with getting an extension, however Jomtien stapled a notice into my passport telling me to do a 90 day report on 24 Sep, so 90 days from extension application/stamp date (my actual 90 days in country will be on 14 July)

Also has the fine gone up? I thought it was 2000 baht fine for not reporting but this says 5000 baht + 200 baht for each day not reporting

20240627_155240.jpg

That's weird, usually the 90 day report TM47 is totally unconnected to the extension. They do ask for a 90 day financial check sometimes. I'd expect your TM47 to still be 14 July

29 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's weird, usually the 90 day report TM47 is totally unconnected to the extension. They do ask for a 90 day financial check sometimes. I'd expect your TM47 to still be 14 July

Why,  the Pic I posted clearly says 90 day report required 24 Sep (I got a separate financial report appointment I posted earlier which is also due 24 Sep)

Edited by Pattaya57