Couple Dies From Drowning During Fishing at Nakhon Ratchasima Reservoir

snoop1130

c1_982405_160521141755.jpg

A couple from Thailand sadly drowned while fishing in a large reservoir in Nakhon Ratchasima. The wife was having trouble swimming, and her husband tried to save her, but sadly both perished.

Locals notified the police from the Chaloem Phra Kiat station in Nakhon Ratchasima. The tragedy happened at the Bueng Pho Pruea Waeng reservoir, located in the Nong Ngu Lueam area. Rescue teams, including one from Hook 31 Korat, were immediately sent to help.

On reaching the location, the rescue teams saw that the reservoir, which covers about 800 rai, is pivotal. It provides raw water for tap water processing meant for 10 villages in Nong Ngu Lueam. Additionally, locals use it for rice farming and fishing.

Neighborhood residents who reported the accident had seen the couple fishing at the reservoir, something they often did for their household needs. They saw the wife having trouble swimming and her husband rushing to help her. Water depth varies in the reservoir, and as the husband tried to bring his wife back to shore with her on his back, they both tumbled into a deeper section and eventually disappeared under the water.

Witnesses called for help from family members and other villagers without delay. However, given the reservoir's extensive size and unpredictable depth, no one took the chance to enter the water. They decided to contact the police and rescue teams instead.

Professional units, including Hook 31 Korat's underwater rescue team, were called into action. The rescue operation started at 11.10am, and the teams used motorboats to reach the spot where the accident happened. An approximate location was pointed out by locals who were present during the incident, but initial attempts to find the couple were not successful due to the reservoir's vast size and confusion about the precise location.

The search went on for nearly two hours until they found the bodies at 1.20pm. They identified the victims as 53-year-old Prakas and his wife, Manee. Their 20-year-old child, along with relatives and neighbors, waited anxiously on the reservoir's bank and were filled with sorrow.

The police verified the identities of the victims, and alongside the rescue team, arranged for the victims' bodies to be taken to Chaloem Phra Kiat Hospital. Autopsies to determine what caused their deaths were carried out. The bodies were then turned over to the family for religious ceremonies.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-27

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1

Regulations would prevent this kind of tragedy. I'm thinking they were using nets instead of fishing rod and reel, as many do here and which doesn't help conservation. There are many places in Thailand which are ruined because of netting. No one seems to care to enforce conservation here. The lake in front of my house is over 50 acres, and would be a good place to fish if they didn't net everything out they can reach. Some have drowned here also, because no one is around to monitor activity and a lot drown in Thailand because swimming doesn't seem to be something taught to children much. I'm a fisherman but don't do it much here because of this netting. I see them going into the water all the time, and there are holes in the lake. If you didn't know how to swim, you could step into a muddy hole and drown.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, it is what it is said:

Regulations would prevent this kind of tragedy.

they wouldn't. effectively enforced regulations might help prevent some tragedies, but education and the application of common sense is also needed.

Exactly what I meant when I said monitoring activity. Enforcing laws saves countless lives. People will drown all over the world because they take chances, bend the laws , or ignore them. Common sense is absent from this country.