I replaced my glasses with contact lens - now blurry vision

simon43

Prior to Lasik surgery some 20 years ago, I wore glasses and then contact lenses for almost 40 years to correct my short-sightedness - I'm well-used to hard, gas-permeable, soft etc contact lenses.

Due to my age (eye muscles getting weaker), I am now moderately short-sighted again, about -2.5 and wear reading glasses.  But I also have an issue with far-vision, and have driving glasses to enable me to drive without causing road accidents.  So I switch between wearing reading glasses and driving glasses.

I wanted to simplify this situation by replacing my reading glasses with a contact lens in my non-dominant eye, (ie monovision).  I understand that my brain will 'sort out' the resulting images and provide me with clear vision for both reading and driving.

So I purchased soft contact lenses with the same prescription as my glasses (-2.5).  I only used one lens and placed that in my right (non-dominant) eye.  The results were blurry and have remained blurry.

I'm not sure that my brain is 'getting the message' about monovision!!  I do read that if the prescription is less than -3.5, then one can use the same prescription of your glasses for the contact lens.

Should I keep wearing the single 'reading' contact lens and hope that my brain will eventually sort things out?  Advice requested 🙂

Edited by simon43