Tax Implications of Remitting Income to Thailand while not tax Resident

In 2024, I will be a non-resident in Thailand. I also have a Thai bank account. If I remit income earned in 2024, say 1 million baht, to Thailand in 2024, will I be taxed on it if I become a resident in 2025? Or is it the case that you are only taxed on income remitted while you are a tax resident?

Most of the discussion about this has been full of speculation, and my own comment here will be no different. 

However, I think it is safe to say that if you are not a tax resident for a particular year then the worst case scenario is that you may have to demonstrate that to the revenue department sometime in the future if they inquire. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Based on my understanding and personal research you will not be taxable at all as you are a non resident and the money wasn't earned from inside Thailand.

The source of foreign money is irrelevant as a non resident but if it's money you had from last year or before then it wouldn't matter anyway.

I will also be non resident this year and likely next year and plan on depositing a large amount of money at some point during this period of time - I will consult international tax advisors before doing so.

Edited by ukrules

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

Based on my understanding and personal research you will not be taxable at all as you are a non resident and the money wasn't earned from inside Thailand.

The source of foreign money is irrelevant as a non resident but if it's money you had from last year or before then it wouldn't matter anyway.

I will also be non resident this year and likely next year and plan on depositing a large amount of money at some point during this period of time - I will consult international tax advisors before doing so.

Tell us whether they agree with Everyman. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Agree with this.  The new rules only apply to resident.  If you are non resident then no implications.  Assuming no other income that would be taxed even if you are non resident (e.g. property rental in thailand), then don't file a return.  If they ever challenged just say you were non resident.  They have access to immigration records and would be able to find out your entry into thailand.  If you're borderline be mindful that days travelling in and out are counted as a full day for the purposes of the 180 day count