Citibank Atm Card Problem

Some readers might recall several months ago I posted about a problem getting a replacement ATM card from Citibank. 13 months have now gone by, and am still without a workable replacement ATM card. I could get one if I returned to the States, but I reside here in Thailand now. Since earlier post, I sent two newly issued cards (that couldn't get activated here in Thailand) to my brother in California - to activate there, and mail back to me. He was able to get the cards functioning in California, but when I rec'd them back here in the mail, they didn't function in Thai ATM machines. The latest tack; is I recently went to the only Citibank in Thailand located (or course) in BKK. They were friendly as expected, but couldn't tangibly help me because my account wasn't with them. So, my saga is on-going.

Incidentally, a farang can get a credit card with Citibank in BKK, but unless he/she keeps a min. balance of Bt.100k, it costs 100 or 200 baht in monthly fees.

Most reasonable and a bit cheap for such a low balance for worldwide banking. Might need to tell your bank where the

card is attached to, you need international use. I had one sent to me FED-EX in 2 days, 10 years ago. Just called my bank and told them about it and where to deliver it.

• 2 months later...

june 2006 to October 2007, that's many moons and that's how long I had to go without a functioning ATM card.

Finally got it though. I had called Citibank an average of once every two weeks for that 1.3 years. They always claim it's a toll free int'l call - but it's not. My phone bill probably bloated over $100 during that time.

Just a note to those that might say, "Hey, I lost a card and had no problems getting a new one right away!". Ok, I've had ATM problems before, and I've rec'd replacements within reasonable time periods (though at least two times the Thai P.O. stole cards before they got to me).

However, in this instance (if 16 months can be called an 'instance') - there were manifold glitches. I don't fault the support personnel from Citibank - as they did all they could to be helpful. Instead, I fault the self-defeating maze of overly-protective bureaucracy that essentially precludes the issuance of a functional ATM card to someone in my situation (residing overseas away from a big city). In other words, there is so much protection built-in to the system that the process becomes non-functional. My message to Citibank: find out what makes your process so difficult and fix it!!!

june 2006 to October 2007, that's many moons and that's how long I had to go without a functioning ATM card.

Finally got it though. I had called Citibank an average of once every two weeks for that 1.3 years. They always claim it's a toll free int'l call - but it's not. My phone bill probably bloated over $100 during that time.

Just a note to those that might say, "Hey, I lost a card and had no problems getting a new one right away!". Ok, I've had ATM problems before, and I've rec'd replacements within reasonable time periods (though at least two times the Thai P.O. stole cards before they got to me).

However, in this instance (if 16 months can be called an 'instance') - there were manifold glitches. I don't fault the support personnel from Citibank - as they did all they could to be helpful. Instead, I fault the self-defeating maze of overly-protective bureaucracy that essentially precludes the issuance of a functional ATM card to someone in my situation (residing overseas away from a big city). In other words, there is so much protection built-in to the system that the process becomes non-functional. My message to Citibank: find out what makes your process so difficult and fix it!!!

I don't understand your problems with Citibank. I have banked with Citi (USA/CA based account) for over 10 years and have never had a problem. During most of this time, I have resided in Thailand. Every year I received a new Citi mastercard sent to me here and to activate it, I just have to call their toll-free number (it is actually done automatically by punching in the acct. # and PIN codes over the phone and phoof...the new card is ready for use). The same goes for every couple years for my new ATM cards. Also, sometime my ATM card has worn out before expiration and I contact Citi via internet banking and request a new card be sent to me in Thailand and it comes via express courier in about a week. No problems. You experience sounds really weird to me.

I don't know about Citibank, but some large banks ATM card activation rules vary from state to state. Bank of America (TX) and Comerica (TX) off the top of my head require replacement ATM cards to be run one time through one of their ATM machines after you receive it. Then you can use it anywhere in the world. Other friends who use these two same banks in other states have mentioned the same option that was mentioned (activation by phone).

One option that some people forget is that they can opt for a plain jane ATM card from many banks as opposed to the Visa/Mastercard check card that everyone is flogging (mostly because the banks get a commission from V/MC International for doing so). I have standard cards with Guaranty Bank (TX) and Compass Bank (TX) that expire in something like 2040 and 2049... when I'll be in my late 70's. That way you don't have to fly to your other home to pick up your new cards/activate every 3 years when your current ones expire.... or for you bridge burners out there, having to continually tag your banking information to friends or family and have to have them take care of stuff this for you.

:o

Edited by Heng

I don't understand your problems with Citibank. I have banked with Citi (USA/CA based account) for over 10 years and have never had a problem. During most of this time, I have resided in Thailand. Every year I received a new Citi mastercard sent to me here and to activate it, I just have to call their toll-free number (it is actually done automatically by punching in the acct. # and PIN codes over the phone and phoof...the new card is ready for use). The same goes for every couple years for my new ATM cards. Also, sometime my ATM card has worn out before expiration and I contact Citi via internet banking and request a new card be sent to me in Thailand and it comes via express courier in about a week. No problems. You experience sounds really weird to me.

When you comment: "You® experience sounds really weird to me." that's exactly my point. Indeed, 'really weird' is an understatement. Especially when you figure I've been a member in good standing with Citibank for 15 years. Dear JonnieB, you start your comment by saying "I don't understand your problems with Citibank." I will reiterate what I said several times before: the reason I've had such problems with Citibank is their security protocol for getting replacement cards with PIN's is overwrought. In other words, they're careful to such a degree that they render their process inoperable.

It would be as though I were a security guard who was in charge of handing out replacement keys far a particular hotel room doors. You, as a customer lose your key, and you come to my desk to request a replacement. In order to be terribly sure you're who you say you are, there's a questionaire that you must fill out with the past 20 places you've resided, including all phone numbers, addresses, house descriptions and names and pedigree of pets and co-inhabitants. Obviously that would be ridiculous and near impossible. Then, I would promise twenty different times to bring a key to the cafe you're sitting at around the corner, but the key would never get to you, or else you'd get a postcard instead. Do see my drift here. Citicorp personnel are willing to do the right thing, but they're stymied by overbearing security rules. It took 16 months for me to get a functional ATM card! And the only toll-free call (out of dozens I made to their phone number) was a call I made from Citibank office in Bangkok. Every other one of the dozens I made with my mobile were toll calls.

One of the first things I'll do when I return to visit the States is to change banks. Any bank suggestions are appreciated.

When you comment: "You® experience sounds really weird to me." that's exactly my point. Indeed, 'really weird' is an understatement. Especially when you figure I've been a member in good standing with Citibank for 15 years. Dear JonnieB, you start your comment by saying "I don't understand your problems with Citibank." I will reiterate what I said several times before: the reason I've had such problems with Citibank is their security protocol for getting replacement cards with PIN's is overwrought. In other words, they're careful to such a degree that they render their process inoperable.

Brahm...I still don't get it...the process should be the same across all their accounts. Granted my account is a Citigold account (high net worth) but that should not make a difference when it comes to activating new ATM and Mastercards. Usually, a few weeks before one of my cards is to expire I receive by express courier (UPS of DHL) my new cards. During the early years, for the ATM cards, ?I could activate it by using it first at the Citi ATMs at their Sathon Road headquarters. I just had to use my old PIN code with the new card and it was activated. After that they were good at any Cirrus ATM in Thailand. As for the Mastercards, I had to call Citi USA and provide the relevant security codes and they would activate the card and it was ready for use.

For the past few years, the process has been even easier. When the new cards arrive, just have to call their automated system and punch in the card numbers and relevant security codes and they are automatically activated. Don't even have to speak to anyone and the process is over in like 1 minute.

Again, your experience sound really unusual. I have been pretty happy with Citi and their online banking services are good so I will stick with them. Plus, at the time I expatriated and still now, they have the most complete Asian network of any US bank so that is useful to me.