Fairness in Thailand: Is There Hypocrisy in Standards of Accountability?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BangkokBernie said:

After reading the replies to my last post I made about undesirables in Thailand, I realized that there are also seemingly many concerns about visitors being held to a higher level of accountability than the locals.

So the question is, are there instances of hypocrisy in how foreigners and locals are held accountable for their rule/law breaking in Thailand? 

It sounds like outsiders are possibly subject to more stringent penalties for breaking the law while there is a perception that locals themselves may engage in similar behaviors with either less or no consequence or scrutiny at all. 

We've seen scenarios where tourists face hefty fines or legal action for such small things as traffic violations or cultural missteps, while locals seemingly go through these same situations with ease and leniency. Then the next question is if this disparity is a reflection of actual breaches in fairness or are there merely cultural misunderstandings?

Next, are there cases where locals engage in behaviors deemed unacceptable or illegal, but manage to avoid public shaming or legal repercussions simply because they are locals? Is it an issue of corruption and graft (seeking to exploit more money from visitors) or is it nationalism at play, or neither or both? 

In turn, are outsiders unfairly held to higher standards, expected to adhere to rules that locals tend to overlook, dismiss, or not even be held accountable for? Thus, should Thailand strive for an approach that ensures equal treatment of everyone under the law or is everything already good just the way it is?

Inequality is not only between Thais and foreigners. It is between rich and poor Thais, and those connected to people in high positions. We read about it every day. The non, jail serving prisoner, is a classic example.

Edited by Gandtee
added words

Let's look at the situation back in our home countries. What do we expect from foreigners back home?

I expect that they behave and follow the local rules and to a certain extend the unwritten rules. They are guest, they are visitors, they should not make the life of the locals more difficult.

I expect that this is about what Thais think about all those foreigners in Thailand.

Just a small example: I often go with my Thai girlfriend to a local market where we eat in the morning. Sometimes we are there at 8am when the national anthem plays through the speakers. Most Thais stand up and don't move. Few Thais sit and eat or move. I, as a foreigner, make sure I stand up and be quiet for that minute or whatever it is. I show respect to the locals and their way of life. I don't think they would come to me and criticize me if I wouldn't stand up. Now they see that I try to integrate and don't make trouble. I am sure they like that. Win/win. 

2 hours ago, BangkokBernie said:

So the question is, are there instances of hypocrisy in how foreigners and locals are held accountable for their rule/law breaking in Thailand?

No.

You've falsely assumed that Thailand is somehow obligated to apply the same standards. No such obligation exists, and you were never guaranteed that it does when you fell off the boat. A wide degree of discretion exists in how laws may be applied, according to various circumstances. Moreover, as testified here numerous times, farangs can and do win court cases against Thais.  

Many of the farang complaints are about the application of Immigration regulations, which can't be applied to Thais anyway. Immigration applies those regs in any way it sees fit. There's no "trial." 

Farang claims of being victims of xenophobia, or rather, that their farang privilege hasn't been sufficiently respected, and whinging, is endemic. 

The more you ignore the whinging and don't engage in it yourself, the more you'll enjoy your life in Thailand.

Accept that you'll follow all the laws and regs strictly (no matter whether YOU agree with or understand them), stay away from dodgy people and situations, and you'll be just fine.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1