What to cook

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2024 at 1:08 AM, still kicking said:

So, I am not a big eater, but I love to cook how do you manage to cook for a few days and not wasting any food?

For example, 100gm pasta with one can of Prego sauce and a bit of chicken, pork or sausage makes enough for three medium meals....one for now, two in the freezer.

Next day a chicken curry using one breast and some steamed rice. Tea for today and two in the freezer. etc etc. Tater hash, same.

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

Good for you champ.

You happy with a thumbs up or do you require a goldstar ?

I realise it is so easy to read an OP and type out your answer immediately, without reading sometimes, loads of other replies. Been there and done it many times.

Just a big kiss will do. 555

On 7/10/2024 at 1:08 AM, still kicking said:

So, I am not a big eater, but I love to cook how do you manage to cook for a few days and not wasting any food?

Here's a tip:

when you make a sauce for lets say spaghetti portion it and freeze. Cook only the amount of pasta you want to eat with the portioned sauce. If you combine everything from the start and throw it in the microwave it won't taste very nice.

Salads: you can make a nice bowl of salad but don't put any kind of dressing on. Use what you want and the rest will stay nice and crispy in the fridge for a couple of days.

Make a stew, again portion it and eat it one day with rice and the other with boiled potato's, taste like a complete different meal.

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I realise it is so easy to read an OP and type out your answer immediately, without reading sometimes, loads of other replies. Been there and done it many times.

Just a big kiss will do. 555

I suspect you are a chilli eater.... not kiss from me.

Use a base sauce and change it to get variety.

Example, I'll make a sauce from pork mince. Add some onions, tomatoes, thinly diced carrots and celery. Salt and pepper. I'll eat it with potatoes and green vegetables.

Next day I'll add a tin of tomatoes, or blended fresh ones, a bit of garlic and some oregano. That makes a nice sauce for spaghetti.

Next day I'll add some kidney beans and chilli and eat with rice.

Food waste is a serious problem. The key is to check the fridge and freezer constantly to realise what you have and what goes bad.

For some reason the spring onions bought at the market go bad within a day or two here even in the fridge. You have to do that laborious Chinese trick of putting them in water, cutting off the bad parts and covering them. Thank God for the girlfriend.

Otherwise, sauces you can multi-use for pasta and mash, yes, agreed, But otherwise of course leftover mash with a fried egg and a Chinese sausage makes a great breakfast, you can get creative. 

I toasted one large slice of white bread too many. It got hard. Did I throw it away? No, I used the grater to make A Grade breadcrumbs for pasta and Tonkatsu.