Unknown PromptPay transfer (in) - TR To MSISDN

H,

A couple of hours ago I received a PromptPay payment of about 700 Baht with the description "TR to MSISDN". No idea who made the transfer.

A couple of minutes after the transfer happened, my phone started getting bombarded with calls from various, different numbers. While it could of course be an erroneous payment made by some "genuine person", these days I always fear for a potential scam. The fact that some party is calling me almost nonstop using many different numbers makes me even less inclined to assume an "honest error" made by someone.

Has anyone received such a payment with the "TR to MSISDN" description? If so, what happened afterwards? When I googled this TR description on google there were some references in Thai also in relation to unknown money transfers but I didn't understand the details of those discussions. I certainly don´t want to accept any of those calls from unknown numbers, nor do I want to transfer the money back myself. I might go to my local branch and see if they can handle the process of transferring the money back to whoever sent it. Annoying as f.

DUS 

Edited by DUS
  • Confused 1

I think you should go into the bank and sort it out.

Met someone today who informed that someone had transferred 160000 baht into his account and he does not know who sent it or why. He reported the unknown deposit to the bank and the bank froze his account while they are investigating the issue.

Edited by freeworld
  • Thanks 1

image.png.b98d40f2d81beb5b046ee38b69472e01.png

Mentioned on the Thai forums too but nobody had an answer for it..

I wonder if this is a hacking thing (like a company that sends thousands of these a day) and then they call you to send it back to a scammers "mule account" (not the one it came from).

The low value and diverse spread of recipient numbers perhaps helping them fly under the radar for a while.

Edited by Satcommlee
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/10/2024 at 10:33 AM, DUS said:

I certainly don´t want to accept any of those calls

Pickup a cheap throwaway phone and a one off paid SIM card and call the numbers if you get and answer listen to what they say but only enter into minimal conversation and after just throw the Sim and if you want to, the phone and you may get wiser but you will not hear from them again because you will block them on your normal phone.

Just saw a clip about this scam, apparently the money is deposited into an account from a stolen card, then you get the calls etc, don't do anything as if you pay back you think all is ok but once the card is reported stolen the transaction will get reversed and you lose.

• Thumbs Up 1