Payment Protection Insurance

OK, we're just in the final stages of getting a home loan from SCB. They seem happy to give us 50% of 'our' land value although I'm not employed in Thailand, wifey is doing all the leg work and she will be the primary borrower although she has no independent income.

I asked about Payment Protection Insurance to protect our payments in the event that I cannot work or myself or the Missus drop dead and got blank looks, maybe I'm not being understood.

Something like this:- http://www.abi.org.uk/Display/default.asp?...mp;Child_ID=133

So, is this available in Thailand? What is the correct term?

For that matter, is it likely that I could take out a UK policy that would cover a Thai loan considering that I work for a HongKong company?

What we did was take out a life / medical insurance policy to the sum of the house (and then some) on my wife that would pay out in the event that she died or was not capable to work. Its not exactly the same thing but was the best solution we came across.

OK, we're just in the final stages of getting a home loan from SCB. They seem happy to give us 50% of 'our' land value although I'm not employed in Thailand, wifey is doing all the leg work and she will be the primary borrower although she has no independent income.

I asked about Payment Protection Insurance to protect our payments in the event that I cannot work or myself or the Missus drop dead and got blank looks, maybe I'm not being understood.

Something like this:- http://www.abi.org.uk/Display/default.asp?...mp;Child_ID=133

So, is this available in Thailand? What is the correct term?

For that matter, is it likely that I could take out a UK policy that would cover a Thai loan considering that I work for a HongKong company?

It's just called "mortgage insurance", and you don't have to worry about asking for it. Your bank representative will get a big commission trying to sell it to you. There is no way you will walk out of the bank without being "offered" it. In fact, you'll get a hard sell trying to convince you to buy it.

However, be prepared because it is very expensive over here. (Has to be to pay the big comission to the agent selling it to you.) I was just offered this wonderful option. On a 1.2 million baht loan, they wanted 58,000 baht...almost 5%!

Thanks, but no thanks.