Small dog bite on wrist

Was out walking earlier today when a small dog started to followed me too close for comfort… It didn’t like me trying to get it to go away and I ended up with one tiny puncture wound in my wrist. 

Took a picture of the dog and my wife posted it on the Village LINE account with a note saying that I had got bit by it.  In about half an hour the owner came around to our house,  very concerned. Said that the dog was vaccinated for Rabies 6-7 years ago but that I should go to hospital and that he would pick up the bill.

Hospital said that I need the full Rabies course …five injections plus a tetanus booster. Rabies injection went into the area of the wound and also into same upper arm. Tetanus booster injection into the other upper arm. Not an exactly small dressing put on my wrist

I was told to clean the area of the tiny puncture wound thoroughly tomorrow and apply a waterproof plaster.  Also given five days of tablets to stop infection.

I was very pleased how quickly I was treated. Went straight to the triage nurse. She looked up my profile then said that I must see the doctor. Seen straightaway by the doctor who checked my profile again. She explained that I must have the full course and that it’s very important to go back for the rest of the injection on the days they stipulate. 

All done after about ten minutes … I went to Mongkutwattana Hospital …it’s very close to where we live. Obviously very impressed. This time the bill was 3185baht and I think that the  other four injections will be 1500baht ish each.  Cheap or expensive whatever I’m happy.

I think that I understand the injection that the dog had were to protect it from getting Rabies.

IMG_3197.thumb.jpeg.7fa4772561e489b597f2a8cb1082ae50.jpeg

• Thanks 1

If I recall correctly, the rabies vaccination for dogs and other domestic animals is good for only 1 to 3 years, then they need to be re vaccinated.  Since the dog that bit you had the shot 6-7 years ago, it would was no longer effective.  

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

Hospitals try to extract as much ฿฿฿ as they can. Looks like they succeeded. 

Thanks for that, so as you seem to be an expert how much should Rabies Post Exposure be? I could’ve gone to a government hospital, but it’s all hassle.

Stop, reach down to the ground as if to pick up something....dog runs away every time. If it doesn't and it comes at you, be prepared to kill it.

The hospital erred on the side of caution, that bill is quite reasonable for the things you received. A government hospital would have been much cheaper but so what, we're not talking huge amounts.

Edited by Mike Lister
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Stop, reach down to the ground as if to pick up something....dog runs away every time. If it doesn't and it comes at you, be prepared to kill it.

The hospital erred on the side of caution, that bill is quite reasonable for the things you received. A government hospital would have been much cheaper but so what, we're not talking huge amounts.

Yes I normally do but it was so close I didn’t want to risk it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I was once scratched by a large playful St Bernard here in Thailand.  Your hospital did not err on the side of caution.  Rabies in animals is quite common here.  As explained to me, any scratch or bite from any animal demands that the rabies series be administered.  The option to not take them is up to you but this is one issue where you are rolling the dice if you don't take the shots.  As for some comments about overcharging hospitals, think about what these treatments would cost in your home country.  I am 84 and can only rave about the care I have had in 3 hospitals and in a BDMS Wellness facility in Bangkok.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I had a dog nip my backside while riding my bicycle in some small soi, i never even saw it until it bit me and suspect it was under a parked car.

I had the course of injections as you described over a month at the local hospital and the total was just over 6k i think.

The hospital were well versed in administering rabies/tetanus jabs , i suspect it happens frequently !!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PFMills said:

Was out walking earlier today when a small dog started to followed me too close for comfort… It didn’t like me trying to get it to go away and I ended up with one tiny puncture wound in my wrist. 

Took a picture of the dog and my wife posted it on the Village LINE account with a note saying that I had got bit by it.  In about half an hour the owner came around to our house,  very concerned. Said that the dog was vaccinated for Rabies 6-7 years ago but that I should go to hospital and that he would pick up the bill.

Hospital said that I need the full Rabies course …five injections plus a tetanus booster. Rabies injection went into the area of the wound and also into same upper arm. Tetanus booster injection into the other upper arm. Not an exactly small dressing put on my wrist

I was told to clean the area of the tiny puncture wound thoroughly tomorrow and apply a waterproof plaster.  Also given five days of tablets to stop infection.

I was very pleased how quickly I was treated. Went straight to the triage nurse. She looked up my profile then said that I must see the doctor. Seen straightaway by the doctor who checked my profile again. She explained that I must have the full course and that it’s very important to go back for the rest of the injection on the days they stipulate. 

All done after about ten minutes … I went to Mongkutwattana Hospital …it’s very close to where we live. Obviously very impressed. This time the bill was 3185baht and I think that the  other four injections will be 1500baht ish each.  Cheap or expensive whatever I’m happy.

I think that I understand the injection that the dog had were to protect it from getting Rabies.

Dogs should get a rabies booster every year injection 6 or 7 years ago is no good now.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, PFMills said:

Did you give the bill to the owner and ask them to pay. Rabies injections for dogs are free at gov venues and very cheap so no excuse just a bad or lazy owner.

I was scratched by a monkey many years ago and had a course of 5 rabies injections and a tetanus injection. Last year, while biking in Chumphorn, i was bitten by a dog. Went to a private hospital and they gave me a course of 2 rabies injections and a tetanus injection. I only needed 2 rabies injections because I had had a full course of 5 injections before. The first visit to the hospital cost Bt2,000 and the 2nd rabies injection cost Bt500.

I have been to Mongkutwattana Hospital  a few times. My daughter was born there!

Well done. Had a friend 35 years ago who died from Rabies because he ignored our advice to go and see a doctor. Terrible death.

You can try to get a refund from the owner of the dog, but probably hard to prove.

3K+ baht is a small amount to pay so you can sleep at nights without worry.

3 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

Hospitals try to extract as much ฿฿฿ as they can. Looks like they succeeded. 

Only cheap charlies say this.....where in the world would you pay only 80 euro for this treatment....l listen......:coffee1:

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, FutureEx said:

Well done. Had a friend 35 years ago who died from Rabies because he ignored our advice to go and see a doctor. Terrible death.

You can try to get a refund from the owner of the dog, but probably hard to prove.

3K+ baht is a small amount to pay so you can sleep at nights without worry.

As I mentioned the owner of the dog said to go to hospital and he will pay for everything … I guess I’ll split it with him …after all if I wasn’t here it wouldn’t have happened …………I estimate that the total cost will be around 11k thb … as you say not really worth thinking about

I had been thinking about getting the Pre Exposure jabs for a while, guess I should have been more Pro active. There are quite a few Soi dogs around entry road to our village.

Edited by PFMills
  • Love It 1

any mutt on the street (outdoor) w/o leash and mask is dangerous and should be catapulted to Dog's Heaven of Eternal A*s Sniffing. just like flies and mosquitos

There are many ways to do so some are very efficient and funny, some are quite brutal but who cares?

I don't buy the idea "let my puppy run around the village" esp. when "a puppy" is a dumb AST exploring area near kindergarten. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Some years ago had the choice common rabies injection or, as doctor said, new type. 1300 baht or 20000 baht.

So simple, took the common one. Rip off or true? DIdnt go into asking specs of what would be the new one.

I dont know what is old or new. He easily could have given me common one when I would choose for new type.

So keep that in mind.

On 7/19/2024 at 2:57 PM, Hummin said:

Just a tip, when aggressive dogs approaces you rise your hands above your head

Hard on a motorcycle.  But I'll give it a try.  Despite the hundreds of Soi dogs in our village, I've never come across an agressiveone.

Yesterday,the headman handed out Rabi vaccine kits to people known to have dogs.  

41 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Hard on a motorcycle.  But I'll give it a try.  Despite the hundreds of Soi dogs in our village, I've never come across an agressiveone.

Yesterday,the headman handed out Rabi vaccine kits to people known to have dogs.  

I always stop if I can't throttle away, And they back off. 

For those who is scaresd, have a snack if it's a daily incident. 

I run every morning and nearly always encounter dogs, most are usually OK. On the rare occasion a dog is not OK and becomes aggressive, I carry a copy of one of those long posts you frequently find in the tax threads and start reading aloud......even the most aggressive dog usually loses interest quickly and slinks away.

• Haha 2

Opposite our house used to live a family of farang + thai wife + 2 luk-kruang boys and 2 medium to big size mongrels. 

Nobody train them, discipline them and gave them some basic "don't do thats" - so they barked whenever they fancied, howled and whipped. During night and early morning hours especially. Neighbors talked to farang - useless, his LBFM wife - useless, called police - no effect.

Until we bought 4 sets of solar-powered Dazers from E-bay (ultrasound sirens) with motion detectors and neighbors attached those to walls opposite the dog house.

One dog went crazy and chew his paw off, another hid himself in the corner and didn't make a slight noise, didn't eat much and one day they drove him away - I think they sent him the "Every Dog's Heaven".

Ultrasound Dazer is "must have" here as well as pepper spray telescopic stick. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Sick bastard

That was a single counter measure against those very arrogant people. In 3 houses around that dog house were old and very old people (70++), very often they woke up in the middle of the night with problems to go to sleep again. 

When their kids (30+) visited them on weekends and tried to talk to that dog family (nicely and politely) >>> brought no results at all.

Dog's hose kids bought big bike with damaged or removed silencer - so the whole village know they are coming or leaving. 

Quite village with very nice and decent people was terrorized by this family. 

Sure-sure, very sick bastard

we should meditate instead, right? Recite mantras? Dance babushka?