Thai AirAsia X suspends Sydney-Bangkok route

Screenshot-2024-07-19-131227.webp

Thai AirAsia X announced the suspension of its sole Australian route between Sydney and Bangkok, effective August 1. Despite the temporary halt, the airline assures it remains committed to the Australian market and plans a grand return in December with increased flights and enhanced connectivity.

The decision to suspend services was driven by fleet management and operation hub movement. As part of a strategic shift, Thai AirAsia X will relocate all operations back to Bangkok’s Don Mueang International Airport (DMK) from October 1, moving away from Suvarnabhumi International Airport (BKK).

To minimise disruption, Thai AirAsia X will reroute impacted Sydney-Bangkok flights via Kuala Lumpur, operated by AirAsia X Malaysia. Affected passengers can alter travel plans with free flight changes, flight credits worth the value of the flight plus 10%, or opt for full refunds. Notifications will be sent via email or SMS to direct bookers, while others should check their booking channels.

Thai AirAsia X previously ceased flights to Melbourne and Brisbane in May 2023 and April 2020 respectively, leaving Sydney as its only Australian operation since December 2022. The move to Don Mueang is aimed at leveraging the extensive AirAsia network for better connectivity and easier access to central Bangkok.

CEO Tassapon Bijleveld stated that the return of Thai AirAsia X to Don Mueang Airport is a homecoming.

“We will join the strong AirAsia network, with over 40% domestic market share in Thailand and a vibrant international network.”

Parent company AirAsia has been active in Australia and New Zealand, with new services from subsidiaries including Indonesia AirAsia’s Cairns-Bali route and AirAsia Malaysia’s flights to Perth. The group also plans to expand into Europe, North America, and Africa, reported Karryon.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of Karryon Australia

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-20

- Cigna offers a range of plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

The pricing will be interesting when they bring the DMK-SYD route back on. Not that I prefer AirAsia but it will help not having to travel between the airports to connect flights. As I have got older the many connecting flights are a pain in the A. Maybe the family will see me for Christmas.

10 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

The pricing will be interesting when they bring the DMK-SYD route back on. Not that I prefer AirAsia but it will help not having to travel between the airports to connect flights. As I have got older the many connecting flights are a pain in the A. Maybe the family will see me for Christmas.

I found Air Asia flight from Sydney to Bangkok, cheap, best looking stewardesses I've seen in a while, I bought the extra food and baggage and seating option, the food was terrible, by the end of the flight the toilets were disgusting, no movies, plane was cramped full, and I was glad to get myself and family off the plane. 

I gladly pay the extra to fly better airline's now, although for the price you can't beat Air Asia. 

• Like 1

Don't know... an airline with no way to contact and speak to a human, no phone number, email, no call center

only a BOT to address your concerns that in most cases your concerns are not address properly and the BOT

shut you down,

Back in 2023 my return business class Melbourne-BKK flight was abruptly cancelled and since than

I'm trying to talk to someone to see how i can use the 25,000 baht worth of fare left but talking to the BOT

is like talking to the wall...