Blackchin Tilapia Invasion Threatens Southeast Asia's Ecosystems

6 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I'm surprised that wasn't mentioned in the article. CPF, a massively profitable company gets off scot-free, while the taxpayers pay to clean up their mess.

Making the fish a valuable catch will certainly help to control their numbers, but do Thai people like this fish? CPF imported it, so it is likely to be a popular fish to eat. I'd rather eat fish grown naturally in the wild than buy the farm-raised basa and tra (Vietnamese Catfish) grown in the filthy Mekong River Delta... which is exported around the world as a cheap 'fish-and-chips' fish.

Basa is nile Tilapia, for your information. Would you appreciate to eat blackchin Tilapia while rejecting the regular one?

38 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

I have always been told that nature sorts itself. Seems to be not true then

There’s a documentary on this, a case study called “Darwin’s nightmare”, if you want to educate yourself tonight 😉

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Seriously?

Yes seriously.

Don't kill annoying bees, because they pollinate plants.

Don't kill dangerous snakes, because they take care of other vermin.

Don't kill Jingjoks that leave excrement in every room, because they take care of insects.

Don't kill spiders, because they take care of small insects

11 minutes ago, monkeykangsar said:

Basa is nile Tilapia, for your information. Would you appreciate to eat blackchin Tilapia while rejecting the regular one?

No, Basa is a species of catfish completely different from Tilapia, for your information. Tilapia have scales, catfish don't. Catfish have barbels (whisker-like appendages) located on the chin and sides of their mouth.

However, you missed the point of my message. It's not about the fish, but where they are grown, caught or reared. I won't eat Vietnamese Catfish (aka Basa) because they are farmed in the Mekong River Delta, not because I don't like the mild flavour. I'm concerned about the pollutants in the fish, not their nutritional content.

There are many restaurants selling this fish for a cheap 120 baht, get what you pay for, it is of a jelly consistency, no firmness of the flesh, nothing like sea bass, or cod, where the price goes up to around 320 baht, reminds me of the European carp which is basically uneatable.

23 hours ago, kickstart said:

Good comment. It will be impossible to contain a fish that can spread to different rivers through estuaries and along the coastlines. At a buyback of 15 Baht per kilo, people will be actively farming the fish to cash in.

20 hours ago, JensenZ said:

The Blackchin Telapia will be caught in the wild, so they won't need to be fed.

As you can read, stevenmercer said actively farming these fish ,not catching them in the wild. 

27 minutes ago, kickstart said:

As you can read, stevenmercer said actively farming these fish ,not catching them in the wild. 

This is irrelevant as the problem is wild Blackchin Tilapia, and the price per kilo relates to fish caught, not farmed.

30 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Yes, understood. I suspect there will be a way to determine if fish were caught in the wild or famed due to what farmed fish are fed.

Carp are quite edible, still popular in europe, i have eaten them, and other types of carp in Thailand, no problem. Sure, i would prefer Salmon or swordfish, but those are rather expensive! The Black chin Tilapia are not really predators, but omnivores. They just yend to outcompete other fish. The main problem with selling them is their size, rarely bigger than 6 inches, so a lot of work for a small amount of flesh.