GS Batteries how long did yours last ?

I am very pleased with GS batteries, the last one I brought about 4- 5 yrs ago has now given up the will to live, I think it came with a 3yr warranty, it won't hold a charge for 24hrs enough to start my (petrol)car, drops to around 11.9 Volts. Anyhow I have just ordered a new one from Lazada it comes with "A local suppler 1yr warranty". And the price seems cheaper now than 4 yrs ago.

Any Comments (not stupid ones please)

10 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Check the voltage when it arrives 12.6 and above it's ok

12.4 and below it is damaged already.

That's nonsense. All batteries will loose energy whilst they are awaiting sale. The longer they're on the shelf, the lower the voltage will be. The supplier should check the voltage before dispatching it and top it up if necessary. There's nothing wrong with a reading of 12.4 volts. It's good to go.

The O/P's question, by the way, cannot be answered. The life of a battery is determined by the use it gets. Short, frequent urban runs with lots of starts will wear out a battery much quicker than will longer runs with less starts per kilometer.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

That's nonsense. All batteries will loose energy whilst they are awaiting sale. The longer they're on the shelf, the lower the voltage will be. The supplier should check the voltage before dispatching it and top it up if necessary. There's nothing wrong with a reading of 12.4 volts. It's good to go.

The O/P's question, by the way, cannot be answered. The life of a battery is determined by the use it gets. Short, frequent urban runs with lots of starts will wear out a battery much quicker than will longer runs with less starts per kilometer.

Sorry, but you are wrong.

Permanent damage occurs when the voltage is below 12.4v.

When that battery arrives to you with 12.4v, you have no idea how long it's been at the voltage sulphating with permanent damage.

All batteries in storage are mean to be recharged every 6 months at a minimum to prevent the voltage getting to that level.

BU-702: How to Store Batteries - Battery University

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh dear seems arguments have started, I know batteries stood on concrete will lose voltage, but these are the 'maintenance free' type. What I do know is my alternator pushes out up to 14.4 volts, and what may have been the final death toll for my battery was running a 500w inverter I use in power cuts (obviously with engine running on Idle) 

55 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Sorry, but you are wrong.

Permanent damage occurs when the voltage is below 12.4v.

When that battery arrives to you with 12.4v, you have no idea how long it's been at the voltage sulphating with permanent damage.

All batteries in storage are mean to be recharged every 6 months at a minimum to prevent the voltage getting to that level.

BU-702: How to Store Batteries - Battery University

A sulfated battery is not permanently damaged unless it has been severely neglected and no supplier would would be in business very long if he allowed that to happen to his stock.

I note that the word 'damaged' does not appear in the article.

• Like 1

Just now, Moonlover said:

A sulfated battery is not permanently damaged unless it has been severely neglected and no supplier would would be in business very long if he allowed that to happen to his stock.

A sulphated battery is permanently damaged.

In the early stages of sulphation, you can reverse "some" of it, but not all.  However you look at it, some of the batteries capacity has been lost.

A month ago, I bought a new VRLA AGM battery for a Honda Click from the largest battery shop in Chiang Rai.  I neglected to check it's voltage at install time.  It's failing already.

I won't make that mistake again.

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

A sulphated battery is permanently damaged.

In the early stages of sulphation, you can reverse "some" of it, but not all.  However you look at it, some of the batteries capacity has been lost.

A month ago, I bought a new VRLA AGM battery for a Honda Click from the largest battery shop in Chiang Rai.  I neglected to check it's voltage at install time.  It's failing already.

I won't make that mistake again.

No warranty then ?

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

"Low charge induces sulfation, an oxidation layer on the negative plate that inhibits current flow."

I would call that damage.

"Topping charge and/or cycling may restore some of the capacity losses in the early stages of sulfation"

I would call that permanent damage.

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

No warranty then ?

It's difficult because I threw the receipt away.  It's doubly difficult because the shop is owned by one of my friend's parents who gave me a discount.  I don't want to risk a friendship for 550 baht.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

It's difficult because I threw the receipt away.  It's doubly difficult because the shop is owned by one of my friend's parents who gave me a discount.  I don't want to risk a friendship for 550 baht.

They did.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

"Low charge induces sulfation, an oxidation layer on the negative plate that inhibits current flow."

I would call that damage.

"Topping charge and/or cycling may restore some of the capacity losses in the early stages of sulfation"

I would call that permanent damage.

All batteries Sulfate to a certain degree depending on its use.

If such a situation occurs when the battery is new, then I'd call it negligence. (by the selling agent)

If sulfation occurs during the service life of the battery, which it does, I'd call it 'fair wear and tear'.

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

All batteries Sulfate to a certain degree depending on its use.

If such a situation occurs when the battery is new, then I'd call it negligence. (by the selling agent)

If sulfation occurs during the service life of the battery, which it does, I'd call it 'fair wear and tear'.

You are right, all batteries Sulphate.  But below 12.4 volts it is significant and causes permanent damage.

I stand by what I said, reject a new battery if it's voltage on delivery is 12.4v or less.  It's clear the seller has been negligent and that battery has sat on a shelf too long.

• Thanks 1

11 years , the same shop I bought it at could not believe it lasted so long, 

when it took it in to buy new one, i did look after it , checked levels every

week ,kept connections clean on it , the latest battery on the truck has

been on for about 5 years ,and is still good ,also a GS, 

Batteries on my daughters Jazz ,dont last long , they are those sealed ones,

don't like them , original one (not GS) 15 months , last GS one about 3 years.

regards worgeordie

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You are right, all batteries Sulphate.  But below 12.4 volts it is significant and causes permanent damage.

I stand by what I said, reject a new battery if it's voltage on delivery is 12.4v or less.  It's clear the seller has been negligent and that battery has sat on a shelf too long.

Oh come off it! How many people have a voltmeter to hand when they buy a new battery? Most folks sit in the waiting area and have a coffee until their car is ready. They've probably never used a voltmeter in their lives!

Stop fanaticizing and try addressing the O/Ps question instead, which I notice you haven't! At least I did, even if my answer wasn't a very helpful one.

Just now, Moonlover said:

Oh come off it! How many people have a voltmeter to hand when they buy a new battery? Most folks sit in the waiting area and have a coffee until their car is ready. They've probably never used a voltmeter in their lives!

Stop fanaticizing and try addressing the O/Ps question instead, which I notice you haven't! At least I did, even if my answer wasn't a very helpful one.

You're a sore loser Moonlover.

Again you're wrong, you're making a habit of that.

The OP didn't only ask for how long did your battery last

The OP said he ordered a new battery mail order and asked for "any comments".

I gave him good advice.  I don't know if he as a voltmeter, they are available in Mr.DIY for around 100 baht. I have 3.

People often say their replacement batteries only lasted a couple of years but the one that came with the car lasted 5 years.  I explained why that could be the case.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You're a sore loser Moonlover.

Again you're wrong, you're making a habit of that.

The OP didn't only ask for how long did your battery last

The OP said he ordered a new battery mail order and asked for "any comments".

I gave him good advice.  I don't know if he as a voltmeter, they are available in Mr.DIY for around 100 baht. I have 3.

People often say their replacement batteries only lasted a couple of years but the one that came with the car lasted 5 years.  I explained why that could be the case.

Not only do I have a multi-meter, my inverter reads the voltage even when not turned on, just accessories  as does my battery charger when not plugged in, that's why I know as said my alternator pushes out 14.4 volts. I have received a message from the seller

"The battery is full before leaving the store"  Not that, that means a lot though. But if I check it when it arrives it should still be full after say at least 2 days in Transit. 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thumbs Up 1