Driving Licence Renewal - Pranburi Office

PETERTHEEATER

My 1 year Thai DL just expired. I know what paperwork should be required (PP copies etc) but every office in the land has its own interpretation.

Has anyone recently got a 5 year licence/? If so, did they require a letter from Immigration confirming your address in Thailand or will they accept the TM 47 slip from the last 90 day report?

My current address is the same as printed on my 1 year licence.

My 1 year Thai DL just expired. I know what paperwork should be required (PP copies etc) but every office in the land has its own interpretation.

Has anyone recently got a 5 year licence/? If so, did they require a letter from Immigration confirming your address in Thailand or will they accept the TM 47 slip from the last 90 day report?

OK. When you read the various posts concerning the documentation required to support Thai driving licence applications, it is evident that different offices around the country have different requirements.

This morning, I went to Pranburi Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and they confirmed that to apply for a 5 year driving licence a foreigner who is on retirement extension or 'support Thai wife' extension has to submit the following:

1. One copy each of Passport, ID page, Immigration visa page, Extension of stay page , TM40 Immigration card (both sides). All copies signed with your signature. (take also your actual Passport for verification)

2. Expired licence (Note, must be expired) although they may accept it on the actual day of expiry.

3. 4 photographs. (Note: The format required is smaller than regular PP photographs because one will be laminated onto the new credit card size licence. Immediately on the left of the entry gate to the DMV office is a copy/photo shop that will produce 4 x Polaroid photos in 5 minutes. cost 100 baht

3. Medical Certificate (Note: Should be issued from a hospital, not a 'clinic' or may be rejected). Cost 300 baht (from San Paolo Hosp!)

4. Letter from Immigration (To get this you need to give Immigration copies of your PP as at 1 (above) plus copy of your last 90 day report slip. Plus 2 PP photographs.Cost 200 baht (Take also your actual Passport for verification)

Offering the above a new 5 year licence was issued in less than 6 minutes! The staff at the Pranburi DMV are helpful and efficient. The office is open Monday to Friday 0830 through 1600 but closes for lunch 1200 to 1300.

If you are applying for your first Thai licence which is valid for 1 year, you will need all the above documents plus the valid licence of your home country and a valid International Driving Permit issued outside of Thailand. You may also be required to do a colour perception, depth of field and reaction test.

Please note that the above information applies to the PRANBURI DMV, Prachuap Khirikhan Province who also service Hua Hin.

As at 03 August 2007.

To get to the DMV coing from Hua Hin drive ahead on the main road approaching Pranburi town and stop at the second set of traffic lights. The entrance to the Pranburi Police Station is on your right. Make a U turn and make sure that you turn directly into the INSIDE lane because you must then turn LEFT down the FIRST Soi running parallel with the Police Station boundary wall. Drive straight ahead to the end of the Soi and you will see a LEFT ARROW sign indicating the entrance.

For 1 year (first) licence first turn left after entering the front door. For 5 year licence, turn right, right, up the stairs, left and ahead.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
Many thanks for the info, as I am going to apply for my 1 year license this coming week. Most helpful, particularly the directions - thanks again.

Let's know how you get on.

Wife and I went to Pranburi the other day and obtained our licences without any trouble, apart from my wife breaking the machine that they use for testing your reflex time. Quite funny with the staff, because after my wife had wrecked it they just looked at it and said "Accident" and laughed. She did pass.

We obtained our proof of residence from the immigration office - pleasant and polite as usual.

Medical certificate from the docs on the main Pranburi high street at 20 Bahts each,which took 5 minutes.

Colour blindness test.

Reflex reaction test

Spatial distance test

All ok, then we go back to the desk at 1530 to get the liceneces and they say "Sorry, accounts closed now" - motto 'Don't leave it too late in the afternoon' So we just popped back the following morning and the staff called us over to the window and handed the licences over after we had paid- No bother at all.

Thanks again for the info 'Petertheeater'

Peter,

Just a little add to your directions. We found that we had to go UPSTAIRS for our 1 year licence.

4. Letter from Immigration (To get this you need to give Immigration copies of your PP as at 1 (above) plus copy of your last 90 day report slip. Plus 2 PP photographs.Cost 200 baht (Take also your actual Passport for verification)

To save all this bother......

Take your 'Blue Book' or a Thai where you live and see the Junta at the Town/Village Hall, explain what you want I always take the phone No of the office you need Address Comformation so Junta can phone to ask what is wanted, YES you will need a copy of your passport + blue book.

Call back at the Town Hall the next day to pick up the letter........ Cost nothing + they have then the copy of everything so very easy to call back again when you need another letter, they can then just look up the details and issue another.. [Copy Junta letter] I found that often they Town Hall will just re-stamp the photo copy [is a big RED stamp] and you are away in a few mins

I live 3km from Village Town Hall...... 50km from Immigration

Edited by ignis

Peter,

Just a little add to your directions. We found that we had to go UPSTAIRS for our 1 year licence.

OK. When I went for my 1 year licence I did the 'tests' upstairs and got the licence downstairs. Slight change.

To save all this bother......

Take your 'Blue Book' or a Thai where you live and see the Junta at the Town/Village Hall, explain what you want I always take the phone No of the office you need Address Comformation so Junta can phone to ask what is wanted, YES you will need a copy of your passport + blue book.

Call back at the Town Hall the next day to pick up the letter........ Cost nothing + they have then the copy of everything so very easy to call back again when you need another letter, they can then just look up the details and issue another.. [Copy Junta letter] I found that often they Town Hall will just re-stamp the photo copy [is a big RED stamp] and you are away in a few mins

I live 3km from Village Town Hall...... 50km from Immigration

That's good to know. In my case our house is in my Thai wife's name and I am not on the Tabien Bahn (Blue Book). Neither is she because she is registered at another house we own! So, it was easier to get a 'confirmation of residence' letter from Immigration since they know me and have previous record of my residence due to extensions of stay.