Majority of cybercrime victims in Thailand are working-age women

cybercrime.jpg

The Royal Thai Police (RTP) revealed that over two-thirds of cybercrime victims are women, with most being of working age. From March 1, 2022, to June 30, this year, there were 575,507 online complaints, totalling 65.715 billion baht in damages, averaging over 80 million baht per day.

RTP deputy spokesperson Sirivat Deephor highlighted that National Police Chief Torsak Sukwimol is deeply concerned about the public’s vulnerability to various forms of crime, especially cybercrime. The statistics show that 64% of cybercrime victims are women, while 36% are men, with the majority being of working age.

The detailed age group statistics are presented as follows: A very small percentage of the population, 0.12%, falls within the 11 to 14 age group. Those aged 15 to 17 make up slightly more, at 0.78%. The 18 to 21 age group sees a significant increase, comprising 6.22% of the population.

The 22 to 29 age group is more substantial, representing 25.33%. The largest segment, those aged 30 to 44, accounts for 41.51%. Following this, the 45 to 59 age group makes up 19.62%, and those aged 60 and above constitute 6.42%.

The RTP urge the public, particularly working-age individuals between 22 and 59 years old, to be vigilant and stay informed about cyber fraud tactics to protect themselves from falling victim to these crimes.

Police Chief Torsak Sukwimol expressed his concern over the statistics.

“We are committed to enhancing our strategies and collaborating with relevant government and private sectors to combat cybercrime effectively.”

The RTP plans to use this data to refine its approaches to preventing and combating cybercrime. They will collaborate with both governmental and private sectors to address the significant damages caused by cybercrime to the public.

The public is reminded to report any cybercrime incidents to the online reporting centre, available 24/7 at www.thaipoliceonline.go.th or via hotline 1441. The Royal Thai Police emphasise that they do not accept online crime reports through social media or other applications.

This detailed breakdown underscores the importance of awareness and proactive measures in safeguarding oneself from the increasing threat of cybercrime, reported Sanook.

By Sarishti Arora

Picture courtesy of iPleaders.com official website

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-07-30

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

Romance scams with Numidian Princes who just need a little loan with a promise of high interest returns and eternal love.

Now Somchai has got competition stealing mom's money ...

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Celsius said:

That is why I only date beautiful and rich Thai MILFs

Averaging only 80 million baht a day for over a year!  talk about getting rich, guess they found out how easy it was and then to see how long they could continue to do it for so long!  Being old, not following much in the social media (other than this forum for grins), but watching local and international news programs, something of this magnitude seems to me should have been caught by the officials and passed on to the public a long time ago.  At least I can pass it all along to my wife and daughter and hope that they are wiser now than these other women.

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

RTP deputy spokesperson Sirivat Deephor highlighted that National Police Chief Torsak Sukwimol is deeply concerned about the public’s vulnerability to various forms of crime, especially cybercrime. The statistics show that 64% of cybercrime victims are women, while 36% are men, with the majority being of working age.

All of which who should know better.

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“We are committed to enhancing our strategies and collaborating with relevant government and private sectors to combat cybercrime effectively.”

The RTP plans to use this data to refine its approaches to preventing and combating cybercrime. They will collaborate with both governmental and private sectors to address the significant damages caused by cybercrime to the public.

Best of luck with that...

That is not really surprising.

Lots of women play all the time on their smart phones and they click all the time yes, yes, yes.

And the smart phones are often smarter than the users. So above is the expected consequence.

Maybe next time they should read and think before they click yes. But I am afraid for most of them that would be a complete new and unknown concept. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

My wife asked me the other day about her aunt being contacted by a recent well off Italian widower , that worked for the united nations as a surgeon in the Ukraine, that was interested in marrying her.

I mean, what are the chances of a UN surgeon wanted to marry a Thai farmer they had never let ?

A lot of Thai women are just plain daft (polite word used) 

On 7/31/2024 at 7:41 AM, Celsius said:

That is why I only date beautiful and rich Thai MILFs

rich grandmothers maybe... have a few in my moo baan... bentley, porsche, mercedes in the driveway... but they already have a young driver/gardener