Buriram Woman Loses 530,000 Baht in Baffling Bank Transfers

webfact

17 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

WTF?

The banks covering their Rsses against bad publicity?

Filing a police report is required by companies in the USA before filing a dispute for something like a package you didn't receive. The normal business process.

Over 40 years in this wonderful country I've read and heard about lots of money being stolen by bank staff. 

With the current drastic state of the economy and so many Thais in debt to banks and loan sharks don't trust the banks in this country.

Thai Government has said and repeats every year they'll glamp down on loan sharks. If they were serious it would be easy. Pick up the business cards thrown out every nite by loan sharks all over town, track the mobile number and arrest them!

Second thoughts sorrow realised they're mostly run by law enforcers and people in high places. Extremly dangerous people who often resort to violence to get money back.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Scams are hitting all of the banks. Not just that one.

It is all down to the app developers not knowing how to write security systems and not knowing how to test the apps properly.

Not only Thailand, but everywhere we are seeing apps being thrown out to the public and then having problems. ie not tested.

I worked in software development for over 30 years and I am horrified by the systems that I see these day.

No apps or even wifi on my phone. It's a telephone for goodness sake. Calls, SMS and photos only.

Just recently I lost about 3000 baht taken from my Bangkok Bank account from two companies in Cyprus, 2000 Baht from one and 1000 Baht from the other, the bank returned about 2000 Baht back to me.

19 hours ago, Jimjim1 said:

The RTP is paid to do a job which they do not do and now you want to offer them a recovery percentage for doing what they are supposed to do, Really! Come on get real.

It would be far better if contact can be made with all those who have suffered at the hands of the banks and the police and take a class action against them, if everybody has genuine evidence that they have been screwed by these organisations defamation will not come into it.

I think you are the one who needs to "get real". If you've ever needed the RTP to do something for you then you'd know there needs to be an exchange takes place. I think you're maybe looking att his through western eyes.

Taking up a Class Action against the banks would take years, cost a fortune and probably fail. The Lawyers are the only ones who would benefit. Again, I suspect you've never done it yourself. 

Edited by Jackbenimble

Never do banking with yur cell phone. It is a cell phone, and should be used as such.

If you are so lazy that you ue your phone for banking, then you deserve to get hacked and used.

Convenience is not the reason to go so modern that you become careless. That is my opinion, and why I am staying old school

and use atms and banks for my money issues.

On 8/1/2024 at 12:54 PM, HK MacPhooey said:

There’s always one ‘holier than thou’

No. At least two including me.

I think it's stupid to have such apps on my phone. If it's not there it can't be used against me. Very simple logic.

I'm not holier than thou but certainly more cautious.

Up to you.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2024 at 1:17 PM, placnx said:

My bank abolished online banking and said that customers should use their banking app. I will never do that. Fortunately I had already chosen to get a text message if there are withdrawals exceeding 5000 Baht. Of course that was set up through online banking. This is for a passbook account.

If customers want to get such a text message service, can they set this up at their bank branch, or is the only option using the banking app? The latter would be bad, since once a banking app has been downloaded, that might open the customer up to illicit withdrawals, even if he/she deleted the app right after setting up the text message service. That's my fear, anyway.

Generally speaking most Banking apps will only let you use it with the registered mobile number which is checked everytime you start the app, there is an option to use wifi but if you turn that option off then you can only use mobile data which check the phone number using the app.