Proof of continuation of marriage for retirement visa extension

My wife has an OA and I'm her dependent with a NON O. We're both Westerners, in Thailand 9 years on those visas.

Trying to extend for another year for the first time in the province we moved to last year the Immigration Officer instructed us to "prove you are still married". They extended our visas one month and directed us to contact our embassy for a letter declaring we are still married (not divorced may suffice). Our original marriage certificate and certified copy of it are in order but no longer sufficient it seems. The embassy letter was the only method the officer was prepared to consider at this stage.

Separate to this matter they advised us they will be inspecting our home this month.

Frankly I'm struggling with this unexpected instruction/requirement (the proof of marriage). Awaiting a response from our embassy, but would very much like to hear from others who have encountered or understand this direction by Immigration. Thanks in advance.

50 minutes ago, jharr said:

Trying to extend for another year for the first time in the province we moved to last year the Immigration Officer instructed us to "prove you are still married".  ...  Awaiting a response from our embassy, but would very much like to hear from others who have encountered or understand this direction by Immigration. Thanks in advance.

Good luck in your efforts.  

I have not encountered the situation you are in, but I do note in some immigration offices (such as Phuket) when applying for an extension on a Type-OA visa (for reason of marriage to a Thai) require proof one is still married.  For example some time back I had to prove my Thai wife and I were still married.  In our case, since our marriage (which was originally in Canada) had been subsequently been re-registered in Thailand, we had a "Kor-22" document.  The Phuket requirement (at that time - a few years back) was that I had to go to city hall with my Thai wife and have the Kor-22 document renewed - so to prove we were still married.

I subsequently switched to a Type-O (for reason of retirement) and then to an LTR visa, so I don't know if this is still the case at Phuket immigration.

Granted - this is different than what you are encountering, but it could be for the same sort of reason - they want some organization to give 'official proof' that you are still married.

Edited by oldcpu

It's not what they are after, but could ordering or locating it the records maybe suffice. 

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/ordering-certificates

or GRO equivelent.

"Stamped by Embassy _ letter", when they dream up such things, do they think the Embassy is there for that!

But then if they want it every year....

Good luck....

@jharr From what you wrote it seems that you got married outside Thailand. Go with your foreign marriage certificate to your local district office and ask what documents they need to get the form KR.22. Best take a Thai person with you for interpretation.

Then take two copies of this KR.22 to the immigration office for your extension of stay.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Maestro said:

@jharr From what you wrote it seems that you got married outside Thailand. Go with your foreign marriage certificate to your local district office and ask what documents they need to get the form KR.22. Best take a Thai person with you for interpretation.

Then take two copies of this KR.22 to the immigration office for your extension of stay.

You can get a KR-22 for a marriage between two non-Thais?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/1/2024 at 12:38 PM, oldcpu said:

Good luck in your efforts.  

I have not encountered the situation you are in, but I do note in some immigration offices (such as Phuket) when applying for an extension on a Type-OA visa (for reason of marriage to a Thai) require proof one is still married.  For example some time back I had to prove my Thai wife and I were still married.  In our case, since our marriage (which was originally in Canada) had been subsequently been re-registered in Thailand, we had a "Kor-22" document.  The Phuket requirement (at that time - a few years back) was that I had to go to city hall with my Thai wife and have the Kor-22 document renewed - so to prove we were still married.

I subsequently switched to a Type-O (for reason of retirement) and then to an LTR visa, so I don't know if this is still the case at Phuket immigration.

Granted - this is different than what you are encountering, but it could be for the same sort of reason - they want some organization to give 'official proof' that you are still married.

Read the OP post---They are both Westerners.

1 minute ago, couchpotato said:

1) And obtaining a RK22 for foreigners is not possible.

2) Your best bet is to go to the Consular section of your Embassy and you can write an "Affidavit" in your own words (and attach what you wish)..they stamp and sign it, which should suffice. Usually Embassies will do this, as they are only attesting to what you wrote.

4 hours ago, couchpotato said:

The point is they may want proof marriage is still valid.

1 hour ago, couchpotato said:

Of course that's the point.. read my above post.

Yes - and if you had read my very 1st post you would have read:

" I have not encountered the situation you are in, but I do note in some immigration offices (such as Phuket) when applying for an extension on a Type-OA visa (for reason of marriage to a Thai) require proof one is still married.   "

I made it clear I was in a different situation, so I fail to see your point in your posts in repeating what I already noted (that my situation was different).

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for those replies.

Visas extended successfully today.

Here's what happened.

For ease of reading in one post I'll state what we supplied for proof of marriage originally and what instructions were given when that was rejected.

Original English language marriage certificate presented.

Certified copy of marriage certificate done by consulate in Chiang Mai in 2015.

(Visa extensions successfully done with the above from 2016 to 2023. In all cases Immigration (two other Provinces) was content to take only a photocopy of the certified copy.)

Immigration

On the first visit we were told "need to prove still married".

When we asked how, we were told "letter in English from embassy or consulate".

We asked what kind of letter and could they show us an example.

"Letter in English" and no was the answer AND at no time did the IO point to the certified copy of the marriage certificate provided and say new version of it.

Consulate

Contacted consulate who, after also checking with the embassy, stated that they believed a new certified copy is what Immigration wanted.

This was their experience with Immigration in Chiang Mai.

Couples were getting a new certified copy EVERY year for their annual extension.

We live in the south so flew to Chiang Mai for the new certified copy.

The consulate advised that next year we may be able to get a new certified copy from the embassy without visiting in person.

This would likely require a local notary to confirm our identities, perhaps more.

Immigration

Extension done and advised a new certified copy will be required for the next extension.

They took the original certified copy and a photocopy.

The IO we dealt with on the first visit was not on duty.

About a week prior to this Immigration Police officers visited our home and took photos mirroring those we had provided for the extension and also of our passports.

• Thumbs Up 1