Netflix Acknowledges Baby Reindeer’s Story Not Entirely True After Misleading Claims

Social Media

image.png.a448fb07493a26f7c182f4ffe22d9b0d.png

In a recent turn of events, a Netflix executive has admitted that the story portrayed in the series "Baby Reindeer" is not entirely factual, following allegations of misleading statements to Members of Parliament. Benjamin King, Netflix’s director of public policy, previously described the show to the Culture, Media and Sport (CMS) committee as a “true story of the horrific abuse … Richard Gadd suffered at the hands of a convicted stalker.”

"Baby Reindeer" is a dramatic retelling of comedian Richard Gadd’s real-life experiences, with Gadd himself playing the lead role. Actress Jessica Gunning stars as Martha, a character based on Gadd’s alleged stalker, believed to be a woman named Fiona Harvey. Despite these claims, there is no recorded evidence to support that Ms. Harvey from Aberdeenshire was ever convicted of any offense.

Following the committee session on May 8, former SNP MP John Nicolson requested that Mr. King provide evidence to substantiate his claims about the conviction. Nicolson stated to the BBC, “It’s clear that the evidence given by Netflix to the select committee is disputed. The charge made – of a conviction – is very important. Journalists can find no evidence to back up the Netflix claim. I will be writing to Netflix to ask them to substantiate the claim they made.”

In a subsequent letter to Dame Caroline Dinenage, the former chairwoman of the committee, Mr. King clarified that the individual on whom the show is based was actually subject to a court order rather than a conviction. The letter, dated May 23, reads: “Dear Dame Caroline, Thank you for the opportunity to speak with the Culture, Media and Sport Committee on May 8 as part of your inquiry into British film and high-end television.

As I said in my oral evidence, Netflix is investing heavily in quality British TV, with a string of recent hits, including Baby Reindeer. In response to a question about the characters portrayed in that series, I said that ‘it’s an extraordinary true story... of the horrific abuse that the writer and protagonist Richard Gadd suffered at the hands of a convicted stalker’. I wanted to clarify our understanding that the person on whom the show is based – who we have at no point sought to identify – was subject to a court order rather than a conviction. The writer of Baby Reindeer endured serious harassment over many months – as it now seems has been the case for many others – which had a significant impact on his wellbeing.”

After the series' release in April, Fiona Harvey came forward claiming to be the inspiration behind Martha, the character portrayed as Gadd’s stalker. Harvey contested the show's accuracy, stating, “Baby Reindeer is not a true story at all” and insisting, “I am not a convicted stalker.” Subsequently, Harvey filed a lawsuit against Netflix in June, accusing the streaming giant of defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligence, gross negligence, and violations of her right of publicity.

At the CMS committee session, Mr. King emphasized the importance of telling Richard Gadd’s story truthfully. He expressed discomfort with the notion of silencing Gadd, stating, “I personally wouldn’t be comfortable with a world in which we decided it was better that Richard was silenced, and not allowed to tell his story.”

Following the series’ appearance on Netflix, Gadd received the award for best breakthrough limited series at the inaugural Gotham TV Awards. During his acceptance speech, he expressed his gratitude, saying he was “forever grateful” to those involved in bringing the show to life. He also urged viewers not to speculate about the real-life individuals who inspired the series’ characters.

The revelations surrounding the factual inaccuracies in "Baby Reindeer" highlight the complexities and responsibilities of adapting real-life events into dramatic narratives. As the situation unfolds, it underscores the ongoing debate about the balance between creative storytelling and factual integrity in media portrayals.

Credit: Daily Telegraph  2024-08-01

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

it appears that the stalker was let off lightly by the court ...not so much by  the court of public opinion....perhaps it is a reminder -to quote (Aretha Franklin  in the blues brothers): you better think about the consequences of your actions  ..lol ....The Blues Brothers ..the ultimate stalkers!!.. 

Bummer.  I clicked the link thinking I was finally going to get the real origin story of Rudolf and his childhood trauma.

Edited by impulse