Island Boys

Nat

:D Sorry about the title, couldn't resist taking the mickey :o

Now to the serious stuff. I have just spent a few days on Phuket for a wedding and birthday :D. Managed to escape the party, I was with, for a bit of “me” time and went for a quiet stroll along the beach. I couldn’t help noticing the similarities between the “boys” working on Patong beach to those on Samet. This obviously got my mind working (I know a rarity :D ) and remembered that Cleo Odzer gave the “Samet boys” a special mention (and praised them) in Patpong Sisters, especially about how different they were (from memory believe it was how western they were).

Now I am taking into consideration that this was written over a decade ago, but really do not think there is much difference between these boys and those on the other islands. I understand that most are there for career (more accurately job) reasons, but the sociologist in me can’t help overanalysing the situation and even going as far as to say that these boys have developed a "subculture" of their own. The similarities astounded me, apart from similar dress, tattoos, piercings and hairdos, they all seem to have developed a similar speech habit eg. some have something that resembles a cockney accent as they reel lines such as “allo sexy” or “oi oi savaloy” :wub: .

I didn’t get the opportunity to befriend the locals (had to entertain and prevent people from getting ripped off -_- ) so couldn’t confirm my speculations. Have spent a bit of time on the other islands, a few years ago, but didn’t bother making any real observations (my mind was in holiday mode). So now am curious about the tendencies and behaviours of the so called “island boys” - who knows, with a bit of investigation I might even earn myself a PhD :D:(.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Nat, I have noticed it too. On Koh Phangan there seems to be two types of what I call beach boys (the catch-all phrase 'island boys' is not apt because the large majority of men on the island do not work in the resorts and bars). There is your basic 'hippie'; long hair, often dreads, what I call the fake jamaicans, and the short haired, punkish type. All of them generally tatted and pierced. Some local but most not.

Usually they have farang girlfriends (what I very cattily call 'flavor of the month', one after the other). Sometimes these girls will pay for things but usually it just seems to be about the sex. Very rarely will a serious relationship develop and actually succeed. I know of two.

Haven't noticed much about the language as they usually speak Thai with me, but there do seem to be the stock phrases you find amongst all Thai people involved with tourism; cheap charlie, same same but different, etc etc.

Go for it Nat, sounds like a great thesis for a doctorate and you could travel the beaches of Thailand finding them, sounds like a tough one to me!

Talking about tattoos and piercings, they are quite a turnoff for me, girls. I mean, 1-3 rings on an ear are all right but the rest, oh, no, thanks ! :o But of course, everyone has differing opinions on this. How do you gals feel about them ?

Amanda

Ever since I saw this guy rip out the ring in his belly button when he went fishing with my husband (trying to land the fish he caught the end of the fishing rod on his ring...ouch) :D any limited appeal multiple piercings might have had quickly disappeared :o

Go for it Nat!

On "my" beach in Samui the phrases are "Hello Welcome" swivelled round quite alot to "Hello Comewell" "sit down first" "Hello Sexy Lady" (Which was what attracted my attention to my husband !! Sucker Me? )

And yes they are all of a similar look, tattoos are becoming more and more prevelent (sp) luckily not my husband cause I don't like alot of tatoos!

It seems common practice here that someone finds something that works and everyone else jumps on the band wagon!

SBK how did you meet your husband? Were you ever a "flavour of the month"?

Aren't you sweet bluecat. No, I was never a flavor of the month. My husband had never gone out with a farang girl when he met me. His cousin (who had a farang wife and was one of the only men on the island who did at that time) owned the bungalows I stayed at all those years ago, long before it became a touristy area. I met him there. His family is fairly wealthy and owns a fair bit of land so, once again, it wasn't about the money :D . No, really, to be honest, he said he felt there was something different about me (besides the white skin!). The line that got me was when he asked me to marry him and he told me he felt like we had always been together, that we had been married in previous lives. :o

And my husband also does not have tats or piercings, he's a bit old fashioned for that I guess. But I agree with you on that one tatty, I don't find tattoo covered men attractive either.

And my husband also does not have tats or piercings, he's a bit old fashioned for that I guess. But I agree with you on that one tatty, I don't find tattoo covered men attractive either.

Both genders agree on that one I guess.

These days,

Piercing are in.

Tatoos are out.

Ask my daughter (who is 18).

She does not like tatoos, would never have any tatoo but piercing any part of her body is ok.

Coooool.

Am I getting old? :o:D

As for me, one earring is cool. Tattoos are all right too as long as not too many. :o

Brue, you are definitely getting old, under any circumstances.

I'm turning 31 in a few months and seriously considering a tattoo. My Dad would be shocked though. :D

I have a piercing and a tattoo! I go with the motto less is better- considering another for balance sake. :D

Tattoo is the perm bit- need to be very sure what you want or you'll be living with it for some time. Whatever you do- Don't put some ones name on your body. I laffed my arse off gal had a tattoo with her ex name then tattoo a line through it. :o

I'm turning 31 in a few months and seriously considering a tattoo. My Dad would be shocked though. laugh.gif

I've actually got one myself - don't mind one just not covered in them... My Dad went mad, and I was 30 when I got it!

Where, where, where, LC? :D  :o

From the event at the Gulls, probably ThaiVisa logo across you know where. :D

Tatty, sounds cool. I really want one now. But like brit said, it wouldn't be the best idea to have someone's name on my body. No matter how madly in love I am. :D

Where, where, where, LC? :wub:  :D

From the even at the Gulls, probably ThaiVisa logo across you know where. :D

Tatty, sounds cool. I really want one now. But like brit said, it wouldn't be the best idea to have someone's name on my body. No matter how madly in love I am. :D

Love is a great exaggerator,... :o:D

As for me, one earring is cool. Tattoos are all right too as long as not too many. :o

Brue, you are definitely getting old, under any circumstances.

I'm turning 31 in a few months and seriously considering a tattoo. My Dad would be shocked though. :D

Tatoos are low class, esp. on a chick. It will look great in 25 years though

Each to his own, me thinks. Same goes for everything else in the world. Long hair might be annoying to some, but could be sexy to others. Bottom line is, if one likes something, then go for it. There must be people who hate that stuff anyway. :o

Quite right LC, I personally like tattoo's on guys as long as they are well done (but then my hubs a tattooist so I'm biased) girls look good with the right tattoo but I think should avoid any area thats gonna sag a lot later in life (arms, boobs, belly buttons (imagine after having a baby, urgh) etc) I have 3 very discreet tattoos that were done for my own pleasure & not having them in obvious places was my choice. I know a lot of girls who have them all over & thats their call too, surprisingly (for me anyway) was when we had the shop in LOS most of the lone female customers were thai. Farang couples would come in & have their names written in intertwined thai writing, which he would do, cause the chances of anyone non thai knowing what they meant was pretty low & also he would change the script so much for the pattern that it wasn't really legible anyway (more of a picture than script)

• 2 weeks later...

i've just finnished reading Patpong Sisters, by Cleo Odzer - in the book she says that Kho Samet was loaded with western women with thai boyfriends ( pg. 270 ). is this still the case today? also, is it the same situation on the other islands as well?

Don't know about Koh Samet but 'loaded'???? Really? What, like 5 Thai guys with farang girls as opposed to 100 farang guys with Thai girls is 'loaded'?? I live on an island and yes, you do see more Thai guys with farang girls here than you do anywhere else but that's only because anywhere else there are next to ZERO! Maybe island guys score better because they have a better selection :o

Don't know about Koh Samet but 'loaded'???? Really? What, like 5 Thai guys with farang girls as opposed to 100 farang guys with Thai girls is 'loaded'?? I live on an island and yes, you do see more Thai guys with farang girls here than you do anywhere else but that's only because anywhere else there are next to ZERO! Maybe island guys score better because they have a better selection :D

How do you mean 'better selection', sbk? Because 'what they see is what they get', as opposed to city slicker lover boys who have to buy 'a pig in a poke'? :o

as in "the island I live on attracts hordes of women between the ages of 18-25, most of them single, most of them thin, and many of them looking for a holiday romance". Think Greece, think Spain and you've got it. We get loads of girls of all nationalities, of course, not all of them are good-looking but I would say well over half are worth a second look. Many are absolutely stunning (usually the Scandinavian girls). Lets face it guys, where I live, even the bar girls don't stand a chance with the less demanding "looking for a good time" types we get. Sometimes, frankly, it makes me feel like I am in some "Spring Break" movie and most of them time it definitely makes me feel my age :o

types we get. Sometimes, frankly, it makes me feel like I am in some "Spring Break" movie and most of them time it definitely makes me feel my age :o

sbk, I know exactly what you mean by 'feeling your age'. It's just like me, feeling my age, when I go bar hopping and then clubbing and then get 'burned out' in less than a couple of hours at the club (used to dance non-stop for hours......and yes, without ecstasy or stuff like that....never used those).

Well, I am sure you had your share of 'fun times on the beach' some time back.

I guess we should think like 'I had my share of those times and now it is time for the younger generation to enjoy those'. That's the best philosophical/psychological aproach, I guess.

Quite an upsetting thing, this getting old thing :D

Regards,

Jem

Quite an upsetting thing, this getting old thing

jemjem, I try very hard to not think about it. I have decided you are only as old as you feel. And I feel about 32. 32 was a good age, not too young, not too old and before all those depressing physical problems started creeping up.... :o

SBK i'm guessing you still live on koh phangan :D

i stayed there for 2 odd months this year.

There are some super stunning girls there,esp swedish girls(even tho they do all look the same :wub: )

I was also one of them stupid girls to fall for a beach bar boy :o

The things them boys get upto is discusting,really grim.

nikky the guy i was with changed his girlfr's every 3 days at the most,and these girls would just carry on following him about.

The girls buy these boys everything,even send them things once they back home!

No wonder these boys are the way they are,they get away with EVERYTHING :D

I was with nikky for 7 weeks(thats long in his book) but finished it because of his wandering eye and for beating up my mate(who's a girl)...

ive been back two months and he still tex's or phones,which im really suprised at.

However he'll never change,i know this and as long as he works there with stunning girls throwing themselves at him then he'll be a dick with no respect for me.

i found similar things on railey beach too. But it seems the guys are like this because some of the woman who go there are all over them,let them treat them bad and buy them things.

on phangan the woman were embarrassing,even desperate looking and these were stunning girls falling over themselves to get to the boys.

Im just glad i never chased him,thankfully he done all the chasing.

However im also sad as i thought he really cared.

How wrong i was :D

sorry this is so long.. :D

I was with nikky for 7 weeks(thats long in his book) but finished it because of his wandering eye and for beating up my mate(who's a girl)...

ive been back two months and he still tex's or phones,which im really suprised at.

However he'll never change,i know this and as long as he works there with stunning girls throwing themselves at him then he'll be a dick with no respect for me.

i found similar things on railey beach too. But it seems the guys are like this because some of the woman who go there are all over them,let them treat them bad and buy them things.

on phangan the woman were embarrassing,even desperate looking and these were stunning girls falling over themselves to get to the boys.

Im just glad i never chased him,thankfully he done all the chasing.

However im also sad as i thought he really cared.

How wrong i was :o

sorry this is so long.. :D

He assaulted your friend, yet you still have sentimental feelings for this wonderful chap?

I met a fair share of these pseudo Jamaican islander boys...what great ambition these boys have. Sketchy, dodgy, creepy, squirelly are appropriate adjectives for some these of dudes. A generalization I know, but usually applicable. But all the power to them, having some fun with women and not footing the bill must be an addictive pursuit.

As for the original poster....of course there is a common thread among these island/beach boys. They all live and breathe the tourist island culture. Fast women, ganja, booze and endless Bob Marley are common to most of the islands of Thailand. Most of the guys I've met have jumped from one island to another, from job to job, often for the same employer. Tis the nature of their lifestyle.