Chinese Tourist Killed by Falling Tree While Ziplining in Chiang Mai

webfact

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Yeah, imagine the outcry that a company is decimating a forest to hang some ziplines. I don't think so.

I thought the same....but it's only a strip of trees.....?

6 hours ago, rocketboy2 said:

Sure, they didn't take industrial equipment up there to build all that.

How naive you are.   yawn.  :coffee1:

Are you a member of one of them nut job Eco cults, like just stop Oil, Who goes to Thailand on holiday sitting on a jet Liner.

Er, what the heck are you on about? I said only that they probably didn't cut down the forest with heavy machinery (as suggested by the poster I was replying to) and worked around the mature trees that were already there.

Again, what the heck are you on about? I have literally no clue.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, hotchilli said:

It would be a good idea to inspect the area due to excessive rainfall.

Or just close it in heavy rain season Oh that would mean losing money can't have that..:coffee1:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2024 at 12:19 AM, Will B Good said:

No, but being safety conscious they could cut down all the trees that could fall and reach someone on the zipline or its infrastructure.......just like they do for cable cars and ski lifts.

Just a thought

Just a clueless thought you mean. Imagine going for an experience in the forest and there was a 25 wide path everywhere, to protect you from falling trees. 

We sure have a lot of experts here 

• Agree 1

On 8/2/2024 at 11:02 AM, webfact said:

Tree Collapse on Zipline Bridge in Chiang Mai Claims One Chinese Tourists Life, Injures Another
By Kittisak Phalaharn

image.jpeg

When will people learn not to go anywhere near these activities in Thailand!?!!

Look at the state of the wire rope in that photo! Birdcaging in places and completely frayed at the end with terminations made with grips which are a complete no-no for any load bearing purpose as anyone with half a brain will confirm.

On 8/2/2024 at 1:13 PM, brianthainess said:

Yes do you expect all trees to be checked ? dream on. 

For high-risk activities such as this, they should be checked and the site risk assessment (if they have one, ha ha) should have identified the hazard of trees falling or earth subsiding and stated control measures to be applied to lower the risk to as low as reasonably practicable.

On 8/2/2024 at 2:48 PM, josephbloggs said:

Looks like it is very well integrated in to the existing nature. But obviously you know better?

I've used this zipline ("Treetop Safari") before in CM. Construction and safety is as good as it could be, given the natural setting and construction methods available to build it. Looks unfortunately just like a freak accident, which is obviously no consolation to the injured and dead persons. Very sad.

Edited by huangnon
  • Agree 1