Murray's career ends with Olympic doubles defeat

CharlieH

image.png

British tennis icon Andy Murray bowed out of professional tennis as his illustrious career ended with a straight-set defeat in the Olympic men's doubles quarter-finals.

Murray, the two-time Olympic singles champion, and Dan Evans lost 6-2 6-4 to American third seeds Taylor Fritz and Tommy Paul.

Murray, 37, confirmed before the Paris Games that it would be his final event before retiring from the sport.

"I'm proud of my career, my achievements and what I put into the sport," said former world number one Murray, who the 2012 US Open and Wimbledon titles in 2013 and 2016.

After a long hug with Evans at the baseline, Murray was visibly emotional at the noise created by the fans at Roland Garros chanting his name in appreciation.

Evans gently encouraged his team-mate to go into the centre of the court for one final time and Murray waved to all sides before disappearing to the locker room.

Speaking shortly afterwards, Murray said he was "ready" for retirement.

"Obviously it was emotional because it's the last time I will play a competitive match," he said.

"But I am genuinely happy just now. I'm happy with how it finished.

"I'm glad I got to go out here at the Olympics and finish on my terms because at times in the last few years that wasn't a certainty."

Murray, who turned professional in 2005 as a teenager, played 1,001 singles matches in his career and many more in doubles.

He won 46 ATP titles and also led Britain to Davis Cup victory in 2015.

FULL STORY

sPORT-bbc.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2024 at 8:45 PM, still kicking said:

He was nothing compared to Nadal, Federer, and Djokovic.

But he is still a 3 time grand slam winner and he did it in an era where we had three of the best players ever playing the game.

obsessed by his own glorification when he was well past  being able to compete at the top level. used his position and influence to take plum slots, preventing the younger, next generation, upcoming talent getting invaluable experience. you also have to wonder why he was so keen to be away from his wife and children. it was all about himself. good riddance.