Warning! New Retirement Visa Rules - Hope This Is Of Interest.

:o Renewed my retirement visa in July, with embassy letter of pension verfication, the only document that was cited was the Embassy Letter, all my bank statements etc. were of no interest to the immigration officer and no medical certifcate requested. :D
Sheryl, seems to depend on where you apply for your next 12 months, the word here is that it has been removed but when I went up to Mae Hong Son in June, I ended up waiting four hours in the local hospital to see a doc for two minutes to provide the health certificate, not a complete waste of time as I needed one anyway to extend my drivers license for another year, the five year license has been scrapped for falang. now you renew every year...

Colin

Well, isn't that special. And congrats.

But the OP issue is about people qualifying by bank account, not pension.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o Renewed my retirement visa in July, with embassy letter of pension verfication, the only document that was cited was the Embassy Letter, all my bank statements etc. were of no interest to the immigration officer and no medical certifcate requested. :D
Sheryl, seems to depend on where you apply for your next 12 months, the word here is that it has been removed but when I went up to Mae Hong Son in June, I ended up waiting four hours in the local hospital to see a doc for two minutes to provide the health certificate, not a complete waste of time as I needed one anyway to extend my drivers license for another year, the five year license has been scrapped for falang. now you renew every year...

Colin

Well, isn't that special. And congrats.

But the OP issue is about people qualifying by bank account, not pension.

Also that was in July. Are things different now for pension letter people as of aug 1?

There is that separate issue with pension people. Needing to have the embassy letter certified by some immigration offices. Other threads specifically about that, yes? News of that came first. Maybe they thought it was only fair to give EVERYONE a headache, pension people and bank account people. And of course, then there are the combo people.

Edited by Jingthing

It seems like for me at least they have implicitly added a "foreign-sourced income requirement" to the "800K deposit from abroad" requirement.

It is possible that things would have worked better if I'd had a Thai speaking attorney with me.

No, not any better.

On August 1st, I went in for the usual, one-year extension of time to stay for retirement.

Money sitting in the bank since 4 months ago, from abroad, all nice and proper.

But I had exactly the same problem described in the original post and by others on this thread.

Hi

Did you have a letter from your bank stated that the money was coming from abroad vs only the bank booklet with the mentions of the transfers?

If no letter, you are like all the other posters (it's not insulting).

If you had this letter, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT AND NEW AND WE NEED YOU EXPLAIN MORE.

Which document was missing?

What was the problem?

Your post is the most important so far and your answer is the most waited.

Good luck

G~

Just a thought. I know totally naive.

Here we are tearing our hair out (if we have any) trying to read tea leaves as to what exactly these officers want from us. Why don't they just send out a press release in plain English and spell it out?

Or, they could just be wanting applicants to prove they are not earning their day-to-day living funds from a source within Thailand -- i.e. that they are not working on a retirement visa/extension.

If a lump sum of B800k or more has been left untouched for a long period of time, it could raise eyebrows as to where exactly the money is coming from to live on.

ATM receipts *might* satisfy their "curiosity."

I understand what you're saying here wpcoe, BUT:

the rules require either 800k in the bank (for 3 months & proved from abroad)

or the regular income (65k i believe)

or a combination of the 2.

If someone has the 800k in the bank, even if its untouched from year to year, the fact that its there satisfies the requirement. Give me the visa!

..... but then this is LOS :o

Edited by Lancashirelad

My head is spinning round and round with all this garbage
i agree, go to the woman in jomtien and give her her fee, sign a few forms,go back tomorrow, all done, by pattaya immigration, marvellous,

pre or post Aug 1, that's rather important to know

It will only be a case of how much more for sure,.

I think it is simple what the immigration authorities require. They want to see that you have a regular source of funds from overses to support your living in Thailand. You are required to prove that either you have Baht800.00.- or so coming in every year from overseas which you spend or that you have a regular monthly income also coming in from overseas which you spend. Certain individuals abuse this, they borrow money from friends or have a friend remit the money that they need in through their account. Its not their money but because it is sitting in their account they think they can trick the immigration autorities. People who wish to support themselves on income from Thailand who do not have work permits are not welcome. They want money from overseas, brought into Thailand and spent here. (People who worked in Thailand and have since retired are a different case)

In order to satisfy themselves that you are a genuine applicant there is one final requirement: " The Immigration Officer reviewing the application reserves the right to ask more additional documents." That is much of the problem. They can actually put a fly in the ointment anytime they wish. All documents must either be issued by a competant Thai authority such as a Thai Bank (Not a foreign bank in Thailand) or a consular official. I don't think ATM receipts will cut the cake but I could be wrong. I don't think a deposit receipt from Bkk bank that is two years old will prove that you are bringing funds into the country every year. Nor is the fact that you have Baht 800,000 sitting in your account is sufficient proof that the money is yours. And they know it. Hence they try to insist that it remains in your account for the three months in the hope that no friends can lend you the money for so long.

Unfortunately many are trying to cut corners and cheat the system which means that genuine applicants have to jump through more hoops. "C'est la vie" as the Thais would say!

Yes the 3 month deposit is new from last year but at least we no longer have to produce a doctor's certificate when renewing this year.

Well, this site is called Thai Visa.com. How about something authoritative obtained from immigration by the owners of this web site? Would be of great assistance to many it seems.

Immigration is open tomorrow. Questions can be asked. Answers may be forthcoming! :o

"The rules have always been either a lump sum in the bank OR proof of a regular income (pension)"

I have heard differing statements on whether a combination of these qualifications is acceptable, e.g. 400,000 baht in the bank and 35,000 baht monthly income. I should be very grateful if somebody could clarify this from personal experience. I am, incidentally, about to make my first application for a retirement visa.

Thanks, all.

Edited by crab

Gentlemen, I went online here in NY to see what papers I needed for the three-month visa which I need for my upcoming trip to LOS. In addition to this, I called the consulate to verify the information on what I needed, but the clerk would not answer any of my questions; he only asked me if I was American? After I said "yes", the clerk told me not to worry, "just come down and we will give you a visa." I was taken back by the unprofessionalism of his replies, and went off to the consulate with all the documents listed online that I supposedly needed. When I arrived, he asked me for my passport and the application form, I gave him everything I had, and he returned everything else, saying you don't need these other papers. Then the clerk asked me how much time I wanted, "sixty or ninety days?" This was the same clerk to whom I spoke over the phone, for sure. When I told him that I was coming back in December, he said, ok, just come back. 'Will I have a problem, I asked?' He said, "Mr., you worry to much!" "Just come back". Moral: It is what it is. Be prepared for anything.

"The rules have always been either a lump sum in the bank OR proof of a regular income (pension)"

I have heard differing statements on whether a combination of these qualifications is acceptable, e.g. 400,000 baht in the bank and 35,000 baht monthly income. I should be very grateful if somebody could clarify this from personal experience. I am, incidentally, about to make my first application for a retirement visa.

Thanks, all.

Not personal experience, but I am 100 percent sure a combination is acceptable. And very commonly used as well.

According to post # 16 , the immigration told that poster that a letter from the bank was sufficient for proving the source of the funds, so I am actually reading these postings, and recognize the sane ones from....... the others.

Have a nice day!

Let us know how you get on without the official form...

Rich

According to post # 16 , the immigration told that poster that a letter from the bank was sufficient for proving the source of the funds, so I am actually reading these postings, and recognize the sane ones from....... the others.

Have a nice day!

Rich

Rich,

Surely, I can't be the only person who does wire transfers under 20K US dollars? This form you speak of is only for those large transfers. How could they possibly demand that form from those who always have done smaller transfers? To do that, there would have to be a rule that all transfers must be at least 20K USD applied retroactively. There is absurd and there is !!!!ABSURD!!!! Should be interesting.

Edited by Jingthing

Here we are tearing our hair out (if we have any) trying to read tea leaves as to what exactly these officers want from us. Why don't they just send out a press release in plain English and spell it out?

That would take all the fun out of it for them. Plus they would have to learn something about process management so that's out. Not the Thai way.

Rich

That would take all the fun out of it for them. Plus they would have to learn something about process management so that's out. Not the Thai way.

Rich

I agree of course.

I went for my first retirement extension last year. Everything was in order, but they still ran me through the ringers.

I left with impression that they wanted to train me in this important concept: I am their b word.

Kind of makes one long for the good old days when a bottle of Black Label could be offered.

Have a nice day!

Rich

Rich,

Surely, I can't be the only person who does wire transfers under 20K US dollars? This form you speak of is only for those large transfers. How could they possibly demand that form from those who always have done smaller transfers? To do that, there would have to be a rule that all transfers must be at least 20K USD applied retroactively. There is absurd and there is !!!!ABSURD!!!! Should be interesting.

Jings, absurdity upon absurdity I will grant. I can't really answer the question, in fact I can only say what happened to me, which I have done. She asked specifically for that form, as stupid as it sounds. Maybe there is another one, identical save for being less than 20kUSD. Don't know, I didnt look that closely.

Rich

Have a nice day!

Rich

Rich,

Jings, absurdity upon absurdity I will grant. I can't really answer the question, in fact I can only say what happened to me, which I have done. She asked specifically for that form, as stupid as it sounds. Maybe there is another one, identical save for being less than 20kUSD. Don't know, I didnt look that closely.

Rich

I really do think that form is specifically only for large transfers and that there isn't an equivalent form for transfers under 20K dollars. My guess is that they will have to accept other documents as proof of smaller transfers. Hows that for optimism? A bit hard to come by some days, but there it is.

Edited by Jingthing

:D My position, for what it is worth, is that my retirement visa is dependent on providing the

letter from the Australian Embassy, stating that my monthly income is in excess of 65 000 baht

per month..I understand that this has no bearing on those who retire with the 800 000 baht

deposited in a Thai Bank Accout... I can only state that in July the documents that I presented

were sufficient for them to renew my visa till 2008..the only document that was of any

importance in my case was the letter from the Embassy, they did not even ask for any

bank statements backing this up..I live in hope that when I needs renew in July 2008 that

the goal posts have not been moved as it maybe difficult for me to kick the required

new goals..this whole thread has certainly many of us food for thought...What really

intrigues me is the rationle, or lack of, in introducing these new rules for those who have

been retirees for a number of years and are now asked to come up with some sort of

certification of their original deposit of the 800 000 baht...it seems that they have some

agenda in ridding the Kingdom of certain kinds of people, or is it purely my own paranoia.

:o Dukkha

Non-Immigrant Visa :

A. Non-Immigrant Visa 90 days ( Single Entry )

Issued for 90 days. Contact Immigration Police in Thailand for possibility of extension.

Fee SEK 400 per person.

Only applicable for retired person from 55 yrs+ or those who are married with Thai.

Additional documents required as follows

1. Retired person from 55 yrs+ :-

* Certificate of Monthly Income from Social Insurance Office.

( Monthly income shall be minimum 20000 baht after tax for retired person from 60 yrs+ OR minimum 55000 baht after tax for retired person between 55-59 yrs.)

2. Those who are married with Thai :-

* Copy of Marriage Certificate

* Copy of Spouse's Thai ID Card / Thai passport

B. Non-Immigrant Visa 1 yr ( Multiple Entries )

Issued for 1 yr with multiple entries. Max. 90 days is permitted for each entry. Contact Immigration Police in Thailand for possibility of extension.

Fee SEK 1000 per person.

Only applicable for retired person from 55 yrs+ or those who are married with Thai.

Tax Clearance Certificate is required at port of departure.

( Monthly income shall be minimum 20000 baht after tax for retired person from 60 yrs+ OR minimum 55000 baht after tax for retired person between 55-59 yrs.)

* Personbevis

This is pasted from www.thaiembassy.se

Edited by Maestro
Off topic. This thread is about extension of stay, not about a visa from an embassy/consulate.

Non-Immigrant Visa :

A. Non-Immigrant Visa 90 days ( Single Entry )

Issued for 90 days. Contact Immigration Police in Thailand for possibility of extension.

Fee SEK 400 per person.

B. Non-Immigrant Visa 1 yr ( Multiple Entries )

Issued for 1 yr with multiple entries. Max. 90 days is permitted for each entry. Contact Immigration Police in Thailand for possibility of extension.

Fee SEK 1000 per person.

Tax Clearance Certificate is required at port of departure.

* Personbevis

This is pasted from www.thaiembassy.se

And it's years out of date.