What happens when I renew my passport before my DTV expires?

The DTV includes the passport number.  When I get a new passport in a couple more years the number will be different than what is shown on the DTV.   Expired documents are never accepted by immigration so I doubt that showing them the expired passport will be the solution.  I would rather not have to carry around my expired passport anyways.

I suspect I would have to go into immigration to sort it out.  Has anyone heard anything about this from official sources?  It will be something a lot of people will have to deal with on a 5 year visa.

Edited by shdmn

Presumably they will transfer things to the new passport, like they do already for other things.  Although I think they don't currently transfer visas(?), but there again what do they do with "elite" visas, I can't imagine it's going to be a problem, they will surely have thought all this out in advance🤔

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Presumably they will transfer things to the new passport, like they do already for other things.  Although I think they don't currently transfer visas(?), but there again what do they do with "elite" visas, I can't imagine it's going to be a problem, they will surely have thought all this out in advance🤔

I would not just assume they have thought it out.  TiT.  They come out with new rules and laws all the time without thinking it all out in advance.  See new marijuana laws for a recent example.

Edited by shdmn

55 minutes ago, shdmn said:

The DTV includes the passport number.  When I get a new passport in a couple more years the number will be different than what is shown on the DTV.

Do you have a visa sticker or an eVisa?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Caldera said:

Do you have a visa sticker or an eVisa?

I am talking about the passport number on the eVisa.

Edited by shdmn

I have a 10 year pensioner LTR visa. My passport was to expire 2 years later. They gave me the LTR visa but only stamped me in until the expiration date of my passport. When I got my new passport I went in to the BOI office and Immigration and they transferred my visa to my new passport and stamped me in for 5 years after the issuance of the LTR. I don’t have to carry my old passport. Immigration transfers visas to new passports every day. You have nothing to worry about.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, MPoll said:

I have a 10 year pensioner LTR visa. My passport was to expire 2 years later. They gave me the LTR visa but only stamped me in until the expiration date of my passport. When I got my new passport I went in to the BOI office and Immigration and they transferred my visa to my new passport and stamped me in for 5 years after the issuance of the LTR. I don’t have to carry my old passport. Immigration transfers visas to new passports every day. You have nothing to worry about.

The stamp is only good for 180 days.  What happens when I try come in on the new passport?  No 'stamps'.  The DTV eVisa is a PDF print out, not a stamp.  I am assuming they would give me a 60 day visa waiver on arrival and tell me to go to immigration to get the visa updated and get the proper 180 stamp?

Edited by shdmn

21 minutes ago, shdmn said:

The stamp is only good for 180 days.  What happens when I try come in on the new passport? 

If you obtain your new passport overseas, then on the first entry show both passports and the e-visa.

Go to Immigration and have the stamps transferred to the new passport, which denotes old passport number, date of first entry and the visa type.

Staple your transferable e-visa into the new passport.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

I am talking about the passport number on the eVisa.

Immigration will link your passports in your profile.

If you obtain your new passport within Thailand, that happens when you transfer your entry stamp from your old passport to your new passport.

If you obtain your new passport outside Thailand, that happens when you enter Thailand the first time with your new passport. Make sure to also bring your old passport along when you show your eVisa that has your old passport number on it.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Caldera said:

Immigration will link your passports in your profile.

If you obtain your new passport within Thailand, that happens when you transfer your entry stamp from your old passport to your new passport.

If you obtain your new passport outside Thailand, that happens when you enter Thailand the first time with your new passport. Make sure to also bring your old passport along when you show your eVisa that has your old passport number on it.

Any idea how long it takes to get that done at immigration and what the cost may be?  Is it a half-day ordeal like trying to extend at Jomtien Immigration or is it usually a separate line where I don't have to go through that same queue?  Also wondering if they are going to ask for all my freelancer proof documents again and another bank statement proving 500k baht. 

I will NOT be getting my new passport in Thailand or anywhere else besides my home country.  I will be entering Thailand with a new passport and a printout of my DTV eVisa, which will have my old passport number on it.

Edited by shdmn

When you first enter Thailand with your new passport you will need to bring along your expired passport and the eVisa printout. Give everything to the IO. The IO will check your eVisa against your old passport number but stamp you in on the new passport. The new passport number will be entered into the computer and linked to the eVisa. Thereafter you just use the new passport.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1