Name your favourite Thai bank. Mine is UOB.

I have accounts in numerous Thai banks. I recently opened up a account with UOB. 

The lass told me that I can use my card at any bank at any location in Thailand and no fees. Also can use the card in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore no fees. 

UOB recently bought out Citibank and both cards are in the app. 

Pink bank GSB would be my 2nd choice. All funds are govt' guaranteed. 1 million limit on all other Thai banks. I think Pink bank is a solid choice for all farang living here. 

Whats your fav bank?

• Agree 2

K & bbl, primarily use k. Wife k, bbl used for her businesses & gsb, “pink bank” her preferred for transfers given it was her first bank account. Neither of us had any problems whatsoever. 

Edited by novacova

15 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I find the Krungsri bank staff to be the most helpful

they have one of the worst exchange rates of all the banks in thailand... good to see they have one good thing going for them

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Krungsri let me open an account as a tourist and it came in handy. I´ve been away for a while but I can still log in so I hope they don´t close it down. One can get THB and deposit to shop and stuff. So Im a fan of Krungsri.

2 hours ago, advancebooking said:

Whats your fav bank?

Citibank TH was my favorite. They didn't charge me any incoming wire fees, and I could convert USD in USD acct to THB acct online 24/7 without having to go into the bank. My Citi accts were transferred to UOB TH in April.

UOB TH is ok, all accts show up in app & online banking, but I cannot convert USD acct to THB acct online anymore. I have to go into bank to convert USD to THB acct, and the incoming wire fees are higher than other Thai banks, Bt500.

SCB is ok, but only 1 acct shows up in app. Joint acct & USD acct does not show up in app, and there's no online banking anymore. So, I have to keep track of Joint acct & USD acct balances with bank books. Also, have to go into bank to convert USD to THB acct, at least the incoming wire fees are less, min. Bt300 to Bt500 max.

I just recently opened accts with Bangkok Bank, and it will be my favorite once I get the USD acct set up on the app & online banking. I should be able to convert USD to THB acct online during bank hours without having to go into the bank, and the incoming wire fees are a little less, min. Bt200 to Bt500 max.

Edited by JohnnyBD
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, VictorInBKK said:

Krungsri let me open an account as a tourist

Was this before or after the rule were tightened in April 2023? Do you even know that there was a rule change then?

2 minutes ago, Celsius said:

By that logic McDonald's Thailand is Thai authentic food.

Walk into UOB Singapore and show them your UOB (Thai) account information and tell them you need assistance and they will say, sorry, I can't help you, that's a different bank/business....ditto London or anywhere else they operate. CIMB is the exactly the same, a Thai bank

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, chiang mai said:

Walk into UOB Singapore and show them your UOB (Thai) account information and tell them you need assistance and they will say, sorry, I can't help you, that's a different bank/business....ditto London or anywhere else they operate. CIMB is the exactly the same, a Thai bank

Nothing to do with Singapore or Thailand. Banking rules are the same all over the world.

So, Bank of China.... Thai bank?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, advancebooking said:

UOB recently bought out Citibank and both cards are in the app. 

I also have a UOB account, since I have to spread my savings because of the deposit guarantee, but I reduced my balance by 70% because too many problems with them I changed branch as I thought it might be branch related, but it is the same there. Same as with all other banks in Thailand, they make up their own rules, and also claim benefits that actually aren't correct. I have no cards with UOB, so can't comment on that.
I think they only took over the Thai branch of Citibank, not entire Citibank.

1 hour ago, advancebooking said:

Pink bank GSB would be my 2nd choice. All funds are govt' guaranteed. 1 million limit on all other Thai banks. I think Pink bank is a solid choice for all farang living here. 

I have accounts with GSB as well, specifically because of the unlimited guarantee, but it is only when the sh!t hits the fan that we will know what those guarantees are worth. The government itself is obviously in serious trouble, and I would think that would reflect on government run banks as well in such a situation. Wouldn't be surprised that they even would make up new rules for foreigners at that point.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Celsius said:
5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It is a Thai bank. 

And HSBC in Poland is a Polish bank.

You guys crack me up.

HSBC Continental Europe (Spółka Akcyjna) Oddział w Polsce is a Polish company.   UOBT is a Thai bank.  UOB is a Singaporean bank. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Nothing to do with Singapore or Thailand. Banking rules are the same all over the world.

No they are not.  Banks, in the main, are private companies, their rules are not, necessarily, the same as any other banks', it depends on their rules and the jurisdictions' rules.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Celsius said:

So, Bank of China.... Thai bank?

Banking rules are determined by the central bank of the country in which the bank operates, along with international standards and most countries have their own rules. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Celsius said:

From Singapore. 

It was called Bank of Asia (Thai bank) previously. UOB group took it over, it is still a Thai bank even if it is under the UOB umbrella.

Edited by msbkk
  • Agree 1

I've had a UOB account for over 10 years and regard it as a very secure bank, but I don't use it for daily banking. Instead, I use Bangkok Bank for the day to day stuff because their app is brilliant and they are constantly giving me balances on my account and I rate their security quite highly. The UOB in branch stuff can get painful at times, depending on who you speak to.

• Agree 2