Good Hotel In Chiang Mai?

kmart

Me and the missus have just managed to secure a few days holiday for this weekend, so on a spur of the moment decision, we have booked a flight to Chiang Mai.

Not sure if I shouldn't be posting this in the actual "Chiang Mai Forum", but could any TV'ers recommend a good hotel in a reasonably central area of CM? Preferably mid-priced and ideal for a couple...? Thank you in advance. :o

The Montri Hotel is right in front of Thapae Gate at the entrance to the old city.

It is clean with good air-con and English TV.

They charge 750 baht per night and are Thai Visa Forum sponsors!

Phone number: (66-53) 211069-70

Free pick up at airport if you inform them in advance.

Romantic, Mid-Range, and Centrally located...... tall order.

But I'm betting the romance part will be up to you guys in a clean spacious room that you don't have to look after - and a change of scenery. That being said, I'll offer up two. There's the Rydges Amari just outside Thapae gate that only runs 1,500-2k /nt. The rooms are decent, clean, and because it's so high and central, you get some nice views. It's good value, no other way to put it.

Then there's the Duangduan off Loi Kroh at the edge of the Night Bazaar. Can't get more central than that... but also puts you in the CM zoo of tourists milling about. But convenient for shopping and lots of dining down there too. Rooms are nice, big opulent lobby and dining rooms within the hotel.

I say do one of these and then with your savings go treat you n the missus to a session at one of the CM Oasis spas in town. They do free pickup and are reasonably priced. Service can't be beat either...that's how they've been able to expand so quickly. They have the Lanna Oasis, and a few other branches now, even one in the Rydges, but I like the outdoor setting of the original one in the heart of the city better.

Final note: The season is way down. Chances are you can bargain hard for upgrades and price breaks. I had friend stay at the Dara Dhevi which can run easily 7k/nt for 3 days about 2 mo's ago. Then when she was back in town a couple wks ago, having been there before, they made the offer of just like 3k per night!!! Something crazy like that for 5 star. That place is romantic, but isolated. Though they have service to get you into town a couple times daily.

Good Luck

Oh, and do Lanna food right and go see our local folk star Suntharee out at her restaurant for great food and atmosphere on the river - go to Huen Soontharee. YOu'll enjoy it, it's romantic too. Great Thai food.

Thats brilliant info, guys. Thanks a lot. :o Its a long time (10+ years) since I last went to CM, and I'm sure it will bear no resemblance to how I imagined my last visit. Looking forward to this break very much already. Thanks again. :D

You may find, unfortunately, that over the past ten+ years Chiang Mai has become much more of a busy, noisy and polluted city.

Being residents of CM, da wife and I find romantic settings by getting out of town and into the mountains where the air is clear and clean and flowers abound such as a bungalow at Krisdadoi Garden Resort, just a few Km up from CM.

Personally we prefer a beach resort such as Lanta Sea House on Lanta Island but this is way, way far away from Chiang Mai.

As for comfy accomodations that are 'centrally located' I would go with the recommendations above but remember that being in the middle of things here, you are in the middle of a big industrial city and when you walk outside of your box, this is what you will experience.

By ALL means, do Maesa Elephant Camp while you are here! The show is really fun and nothing sparks romance like laughter and visiting their elephant nursery is heartwarming to say the least. We go there on a regular basis and my wife has a favorite young elephant who follows her around like a puppy whenever we visit.

Enjoy!

Edited by Dustoff

At-Niman: A Conceptual House is one of the most immaculate boutique hotels in the city; the privacy and layout of the premises alone are captivating and certainly conducive to romance. Not sure about their rates (~5000b during high season I reckon), but it's designed by the same dandy behind Dhara Dhevi, and you can't ask for a better locale. Nimmanhaemin Soi 9, on the quiet end of the soi.

At-Niman: A Conceptual House is one of the most immaculate boutique hotels in the city; the privacy and layout of the premises alone are captivating and certainly conducive to romance. Not sure about their rates (~5000b during high season I reckon), but it's designed by the same dandy behind Dhara Dhevi, and you can't ask for a better locale. Nimmanhaemin Soi 9, on the quiet end of the soi.

The above is really nice, but if you want something much more economical, centralish, swimming pool garden and a bit of a colonial feel (Indian owned) try http://www.prince-hotel-chiangmai.com. The rooms vary a lot, the best are really rather nice for the price, but choose carefully.

Romantic, Mid-Range, and Centrally located...... tall order.

But I'm betting the romance part will be up to you guys in a clean spacious room that you don't have to look after - and a change of scenery. That being said, I'll offer up two. There's the Rydges Amari just outside Thapae gate that only runs 1,500-2k /nt. The rooms are decent, clean, and because it's so high and central, you get some nice views. It's good value, no other way to put it.

Then there's the Duangduan off Loi Kroh at the edge of the Night Bazaar. Can't get more central than that... but also puts you in the CM zoo of tourists milling about. But convenient for shopping and lots of dining down there too. Rooms are nice, big opulent lobby and dining rooms within the hotel.

I say do one of these and then with your savings go treat you n the missus to a session at one of the CM Oasis spas in town. They do free pickup and are reasonably priced. Service can't be beat either...that's how they've been able to expand so quickly. They have the Lanna Oasis, and a few other branches now, even one in the Rydges, but I like the outdoor setting of the original one in the heart of the city better.

Final note: The season is way down. Chances are you can bargain hard for upgrades and price breaks. I had friend stay at the Dara Dhevi which can run easily 7k/nt for 3 days about 2 mo's ago. Then when she was back in town a couple wks ago, having been there before, they made the offer of just like 3k per night!!! Something crazy like that for 5 star. That place is romantic, but isolated. Though they have service to get you into town a couple times daily.

Good Luck

Oh, and do Lanna food right and go see our local folk star Suntharee out at her restaurant for great food and atmosphere on the river - go to Huen Soontharee. YOu'll enjoy it, it's romantic too. Great Thai food.

Very decent hotels - good value and location both of them, but to get that 'old Lanna' romantic vibe in the city without spending too much, I think Yangcome village would be a better choice.

If you do not mind staying out of the city, there are some excellent choices up behind Doi Suthep on the Mae Rim - Samoeng loop. As Dustoff said, Krisdadoi is good.

I'd also recommend Ban Klang Doi. They make excellent Thai food, and their bungalows are exactly the right combination of rustic and stylish without the price level going overboard. Some of the bungalows have beautiful open bathrooms with smooth stone paths, lots of plants/flowers and a large wooden tub for soaking - a really nice option if you happen to get a night free of rain. Even when it is raining, the part of the bathroom closest to the wall with the sink and actual porcelain throne is covered by a small roof, so you won't get wet. Their spa had a competent Traditional Thai masseuse too last time I stayed there about 7 months ago.

Centara Duangtawan ...

When did Central become Centara....?might get lost in Loy Kroft

Rumor has it the sign writers f**ked up the sign out front, so they just thought stuff it and ran with it.. :o

I hate to get in the way of a good rumour, but all of the hotels in the Central hotel chain have changed names.... http://www.centralhotelsresorts.com/ :D

I forgot to mention a nice romantic place we stayed tucked away a short walk outside the old city walls... just a hand full of rooms (Eight that are packed full of colonial furnishings) all surrounding a lush pool/courtyard. http://www.triyaannaros.com/roomrate2.php - If you surf the internet you can get the room for a 1,000 baht less than there stated rate... And they have will let you park a car in the rear of their property! (It is a nightmare to park anywhere near the old city)

And here is another place that looks nice: http://chiangmaihotels.chiangdao.com/fernp...ise/details.htm

Edited by sfokevin

I HAVE to weigh in with the Chiang Mai Thai House.

If they missus is Thai then they won't let her stay. Or am I getting confused with another Thai House?

Oh- I didn't know that. I do recall now that there was a bit of consternation when we invited a Thai friend to come swim with us - since she was the one who found us the room, and her leading us there has led to many weeks' rentals by us and a large number of friends and family members, they let her stay. But I do remember they seemed a little weird about it. That's sad, and disappointing.

The Montri Hotel is right in front of Thapae Gate at the entrance to the old city.

It is clean with good air-con and English TV.

They charge 750 baht per night and are Thai Visa Forum sponsors!

Phone number: (66-53) 211069-70

Free pick up at airport if you inform them in advance.

Banner at top of page.

http://www.hotelthailand.com/chiangmai/montri/index.html

*bump* Just flew back to Rayong yesterday. We had a wonderful time in Chiang Mai thanks in no small part to some great info from people contributing to this thread. :o

In brief; we stayed at the Prince Hotel because we got a huge "Honeymoon Suite" for a crazy price. Strange place, very colonial in feel and decor (as the poster above remarked), but romantic and has a slightly haunted feel. If someone ever wanted to re-make "The Shining" in CM; this would probably be the place to film it. :D

Found tons of stuff to do and see around CM. Fine eating too, especially the recommended "Huen Suntharee" and "The Riverside" restaurants, although we didn't have a bad meal (or experience) all the time we were there. :D

Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Visited some wonderful places and events too. We were very impressed with how friendly people are in CM; how great the service and prices are too. (Heck of a difference to the last holiday we had in Phuket, for example...)

Came home with some great memories, and tons of shopping. Thanks and best regards again to the people posting on here. :D :D

It may be covered elsewhere, but can anyone quickly recommend a good car rental in Chiang Mai?

I've used North Wheels in the past without any problems but not that recently and I've never done any shopping around. North Wheels are close to Tuskers on the opposite side of the moat to Somphet Market, I seem to remember that Tuskers actually recommend another place in the same area so it may be worth checking out their website or asking there.

JxP

All of these are local Lanna style, romantic, crisply new, and

within walking distance of all of central CMai. I recommend these

to visiting friends. Pamper yourself without breaking the bank.Enjoy!!*

Raming Lodge-Loi Kroh Rd halfway between ThapaeGate & Night Bazaar

double 1150

http://www.hotels.chiangmai-online.com/raming.html

Red Hibiscus GuestHouse modern 3-storey guesthouse inside moat directly across

from CMai Ram Hospitaldie. Top far-end mini suite is the most romantic.

http://www.redhibiscus.com/Mini Suite Baht 1,400.

Tamarind Village center town near AUA ThapaeGate 2275B double

http://www.hotels.chiangmai-online.com/tamarind.html

TRI YAAN NA ROS COLONIAL HOUSE CHIANG MAI

156 Wualai Rd.Double 2500

http://www.hotels.chiangmai-online.com/tynaros.html

Manathai Village Chiang Mainear Night Bazaar-double 2800

http://www.chiangdao.com/chiangmai/manathaivillage.htm

The Rachamankhanear Wat Phra Singh AUA-double 4820B

http://www.hotels.chiangmai-online.com/rcmankha.html

I recommend Top North...very professional, trustworthy, new cars, and good rates - been in CMai for a decade or so. Why not ask for a discount? If you do not know the area hire the car with driver- cost minimal, food and separate lodging if overnight of course. Check the car all around for dents scratches, and remove the plastic ads sitting on the windscreen or hood to be absolutely sure before signing for the car.

Regards,

Tango

:o

Edited by tango

• 2 weeks later...