Tour De Thailand

The TdF - Tour de France - is over for another year, now to prepare for the TdT – Tour of Thailand, 1,312 Miles/2,099 KM; over 21 days of riding and 7 days off. The Tour is now in its fifth year and all donations, without deductions, go to:-

The Max Foundation (TMF) – A US-based non-profit cancer organization with international focus. TMF is dedicated to helping patients with leukemia and blood-related cancers worldwide by facilitating access to treatment and providing care and support for those who have limited access to resources.

The Foundation for the Blind in Thailand Under the Royal Patronage of H.M. The Queen – A Thai non-profit organization for helping and teaching the blind in Thailand.

If you wish to sponsor me, please PM me

Thanks

Hippo

• 3 weeks later...

Mr. Hippo: this is truly awesome. I checked your blog and the official event site, and I'm impressed you can pull this off in Thailand. Hats off to you.

21 days over 1,300 miles is serious riding. How much do pollution / traffic / bad driving / humidity and heat hamper the riding? How many people participated last year? Do you change course from year to year?

The cost to participate is substantial. I understand it's a charity ride. Still, I can't imagine many Thais would be able to afford / willing to pay for it.

You ride in BKK? Your neighborhood ride is Lad Proa? You gotta be a nut case. You make me look very sane :o

Mr. Hippo: this is truly awesome. I checked your blog and the official event site, and I'm impressed you can pull this off in Thailand. Hats off to you.

21 days over 1,300 miles is serious riding. How much do pollution / traffic / bad driving / humidity and heat hamper the riding? How many people participated last year? Do you change course from year to year?

The cost to participate is substantial. I understand it's a charity ride. Still, I can't imagine many Thais would be able to afford / willing to pay for it.

You ride in BKK? Your neighborhood ride is Lad Proa? You gotta be a nut case. You make me look very sane :o

If you think 1300 miles in 21 days is serious cycling, please go to http://arabcyclist.blogspot.com/ - 920 miles in 5 days!

Last year, I believe, that there were about 50 cyclist taking part - some doing the full ride, some half ride and others doing day rides.

This is a sponsored ride, all riders doing the full ride are asked to donate US$2000 and half ride US$1000. This money is raised by the riders from friends, workmates, relatives, etc and all goes to The Max Foundation and the Foundation for the Blind. Many cyclists come from overseas to take part. Cyclists have to pay for accomodation etc. out of their own pocket! Last year one cyclist raised over US$5000!

Compared to Riyadh, Taif, Jeddah, Dhahran, Muscat and even London, Bangkok is not too bad for cycling. I am normally mobile at first light when the traffic is not too bad on Lat Phrao Road. You say that "I am a nutcase" - that's not what it says on my road bike! It has, in English and Thai "The Crazy Hippo" :D

There is on the blog - http://cyclethai.blogspot.com/ - a PayPal donate button, all contributions are welcome - large and small.

Thanks

Mr Hippo

The TdF - Tour de France - is over for another year, now to prepare for the TdT – Tour of Thailand, 1,312 Miles/2,099 KM; over 21 days of riding and 7 days off. The Tour is now in its fifth year and all donations, without deductions, go to:-

The Max Foundation (TMF) – A US-based non-profit cancer organization with international focus. TMF is dedicated to helping patients with leukemia and blood-related cancers worldwide by facilitating access to treatment and providing care and support for those who have limited access to resources.

The Foundation for the Blind in Thailand Under the Royal Patronage of H.M. The Queen – A Thai non-profit organization for helping and teaching the blind in Thailand.

If you wish to sponsor me, please PM me

Thanks

Hippo

Mr Hippo - not trying to hijack your worthy thread.

My VP also organises a cycle ride to raise money for cancer - its from Singapore to Bangkok

Its from October thru till November when the riders arrive in Bangkok in time for a Medical Conference

The conditions regarding donations etc are very similar to yours.

Maybe you might want to swap web links etc if the dates do not clash - you might even get riders doing both!!!

PM me if you want any more details.

It's about 1300miles from Singapore to Bangkok and the Tour de Thailand is 1300 miles so that's 2600 to do both! That would be a nice ride. Our dates may clash. Perhaps we can do a combined one some day. I've sent you a pm