TR visa + 30 days = 89 days in country? As usual?

Hello, i (EU national, EU resident) would like to spend 89 days (single-entry) as a tourist in Thailand with this arrangement:

1. prior to departure, get a TR visa for 60 days from the online service
  2. at an upcountry Immigration, extend by 30 days for 1900 THB

This worked well in the last 2 winters. Was there any change lately? (There's the "Non-O" visa (?) giving me 3 months on a string, but personally I find the conditions too complicated.)

My first accommodation in TH is not an official hotel, so as a precaution I would get these bookings to show to visa officers and airlines:

• hotel booking for days 1 – 10, later to be cancelled free of charge
  • outbound flight ticket for day 57 of my stay, not to be used, likely not refundable (sth like DMK-Cambodia) (some people consider this outbound ticket unnecessary)

Do you think it's a good plan? It worked well the last 2 winters. Are there any new rules affecting this plan?

Thanks!

PS. If you have a tip how to find the cheapest outbound ticket, I'd be interested (lucrative search phrases like "Air Asia Thailand promotion"? Certain airlines?)

Edited by henrik2000

EU is not a country 😕 and entry to thailand is controlled by country of passport origin.

You do know that 90+ countries are on the new "free stamp" 60 day visa exempt entry program right? Maybe your nationality is on it

That would mean you could come in visa exempt, get 60 days, and take one 30 day extension

If you're from a country that is not on the list then go ahead and buy a single entry tourist visa from the thai consulate in your country before you wing your way here  

60 day exempt entry countriez.jpg

Edited by Tod Daniels
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

EU is not a country 😕 and entry to thailand is controlled by country of passport origin.

You do know that 90+ countries are on the new "free stamp" 60 day visa exempt entry program right? Maybe your nationality is on it

That would mean you could come in visa exempt, get 60 days, and take one 30 day extension

If you're from a country that is not on the list then go ahead and buy a single entry tourist visa from the thai consulate in your country before you wing your way here  

60 day exempt entry countriez.jpg

If @henrik2000 is a national of any EU country, they are entitled to 60 day visa exempt entry. All 27 EU nations are on the list shown.

• Like 1

OP, correct answers above.

You can enter visa exempt and currently will be given 60 day stamp. 

Also can obtain 30 day extension at local immigration.

Be aware that an onward flight may be required by airline at departure for boarding pass. 

You will not need to show accommodation with or without visa. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi, thanks all for good news regardings 60 days visa exemption!

I hadn't been aware of that. So to play it safe, i should have an outbound ticket for around day 58, right? (Even if want to exted from 60 to 90 days in-country.)

And i take i don't need to show a hotel reservation (i would have to make a bogus reservation). (Like others, i don't remember any immigration clerk at the airport ever asking for my hotel.)

On 8/14/2024 at 10:38 AM, henrik2000 said:

PS. If you have a tip how to find the cheapest outbound ticket, I'd be interested (lucrative search phrases like "Air Asia Thailand promotion"? Certain airlines?)

Use Skyscanner and select Thailand to Everywhere and flexible dates to show the cheapest in any given month.

Capture.JPG.ab40084a6cea69648efe4a5a18135493.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/15/2024 at 7:12 PM, treetops said:

Use Skyscanner and select Thailand to Everywhere and flexible dates to show the cheapest in any given month.

Thanks for tip + screenshot, very useful!

Indeed using your suggested procedure, i quickly found an Air Asia flight on a (serious and well known to me) 3rd party site that was cheaper and easier to find + book than at Air Asia itself. For next January, the cheapest exit flight still seems to cost 33 Euro (Krabi - KUL).

Edited by henrik2000